UPS investing $12 billion, infrastructure and significant pension funding. Credits tax bill

UPS profits $12 billion annually.

Smart Logistics Netwrok = automation and layoffs

Pension funding is an existing commitment to their workers.

Further enhancing shareholder value doesn't help their workers.

UPS's net income is actually 3-4 billion.

If businesses don't maximize shareholder value, those pension funds and 401ks are going to shrink. So yes, maximizing shareholder value does help out workers.

UPS's net income is actually 3-4 billion.

If businesses don't maximize shareholder value, those pension funds and 401ks are going to shrink. So yes, maximizing shareholder value does help out workers.

You're right, I was looking at the gross.

I'm sure the workers would prefer that they actually got a pay increase instead of UPS just meeting their obligations they already agreed to.

Just saw on Facebook so it could be totally false but it said

Att

Lowes

Bank of America

And 1 or 2 other companies just announced 1000 bonus to every employee and credited Trump.
Starbucks and Disney announced the same bonuses. However, the complaints are still there that this is just a one time thing and that the company isn't paying a living wage. What I don't see are the people that are complaining aren't doing anything about it. They still invest in the next iPhone, they'll still get their morning coffee at Starbucks and they'll still renew their annual passes to Disneyland.

On a recent article I read about Disney's bonus, 1 employee had been working at Disneyland for 27 years and has kept her wages barely above minimum wage. She is a tailor for the costumes at the park and she never once thought to take that experience, update her resume and move to a more lucrative company.

Wonder why nobody made a thread about Harley Davidson closing their plant in Kansas City and blaming it on the Tax Cuts and Jobs act?
GE also not going to fair to well from these tax cuts. GE was sick of winning. Now they are losing.

Wonder why nobody made a thread about Harley Davidson closing their plant in Kansas City and blaming it on the Tax Cuts and Jobs act?

Because it had nothing to do with the tax reform and everything to do with slumping sales?

They aren't giving anyone more money based on this report, just investing in their business infrastructure and funding a pension that they already agreed to fund years ago.

Fair enough... but let's look at it this way..

a portion of that investment will go towards purchasing new vehicles and aircraft and renovating and modernizing UPS’s facilities and technology platforms.

So I look at that as ... wow. That's a lot of people going work/more work in order to fulfill UPS's purchase orders.

When companies invest, they are not only impacting their employees but they're impacting the employees of the companies they are purchasing things from.

Also pensions aren't guaranteed... if there's not money there, pensions get cut.. happens everywhere. so this is ensuring the pensions are funded, which is a good thing

Enough is enough. This is bullshit propaganda. Why does the Real Media continue to cover these inconsequential corporate PR stunts. If the election taught us anything it's that we cannot give the Repugs a single fucking inch.

There are far more important things that the Real Media needs to be focusing on. Let the fake news right wing outlets spread this proganda to their base. There's a huge risk here allowing fence sitters to see biased stunts like this.

My favorite was the Exxon announcement that they were going to invest $50B over the next 5 years thanks to the tax cut. 50B over 5 years is less than Exxon typically invest per year.

So in effect, Exxon is going to invest less than usual thanks to the tax cut. Is that called winning?

Fair enough... but let's look at it this way..

a portion of that investment will go towards purchasing new vehicles and aircraft and renovating and modernizing UPS’s facilities and technology platforms.

So I look at that as ... wow. That's a lot of people going work/more work in order to fulfill UPS's purchase orders.

When companies invest, they are not only impacting their employees but they're impacting the employees of the companies they are purchasing things from.

Also pensions aren't guaranteed... if there's not money there, pensions get cut.. happens everywhere. so this is ensuring the pensions are funded, which is a good thing

Do you know how UPS handles extra volume?

They hire temps and then fire them when the volume drops.

UPS has union workers, their pensions are negotiated via contract.

My favorite was the Exxon announcement that they were going to invest $50B over the next 5 years thanks to the tax cut. 50B over 5 years is less than Exxon typically invest per year.

So in effect, Exxon is going to invest less than usual thanks to the tax cut. Is that called winning?

50 billion isn’t enough!!!

50 billion isn’t enough!!!

It's less than they have invested in the last 5 years without a tax break but you all came on here to masturbate furiously to the large number thinking it was some amazing sign of winning.

The article should had read that Exxon was investing less in the US due to the tax cut.

UPS today announced more than $12 billion in investments to expand the company's Smart Logistics Network, significantly increase pension funding, and position the company to further enhance shareowner value.

"This $12 billion investment program is an outgrowth of the opportunity for tax savings created by the Tax and Jobs Act," said David Abney, UPS Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We will increase network investments and accelerate pension funding to strengthen the company for the long term, so that we maximize the benefit to our global customers, employees and shareowners."

"Through our current and future actions, we will enhance UPS's position as the leading logistics provider by expanding capacity and technology investments to help customers meet their needs for dependable, day- and time-definite service with enhanced visibility and flexibility," Abney said.

The company plans to raise future capital spending above its previously committed six-to-seven percent of annual revenue. UPS will invest an additional $7 billion over three years for the construction and renovation of facilities, to acquire new aircraft and ground fleet vehicles, and to enhance the information technology platforms required to support the network, manage the business and power new customer solutions.

"We applaud President Trump and Congress for their bold action to improve the U.S. economy," Abney continued. "Our investments will create new jobs, secure existing jobs and expand opportunities for our people. We are committed to remaining a preferred employer by continuing to provide industry-leading compensation and excellent career opportunities."

UPS also recently made a $5 billion tax-qualified contribution to the company's three UPS-sponsored U.S. pension plans. This represents about $13,000 per participant. The voluntary contribution raised the funding level to above 90-percent, securing retirement benefits on behalf of union-represented and union-free employees eligible for UPS-funded pensions.

"Tax reform is a tremendous catalyst," said Abney. "We will continue to evaluate additional actions that benefit customers, employees and shareowners as we progress further in the year."

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-releas...on-on-favorable-tax-law-impact-20180201-00971

How will commies ever recover?

Well, Sun rises today, God must be happy. Sun sets, God is mad. Sound logic TS.

I'm not sure about that but if you're right, then maybe these would get them to hire more people instead of hiring temps...if you are right.

I'm not sure about that but if you're right, then maybe these would get them to hire more people instead of hiring temps...if you are right.

I worked at UPS for 8 years loading trucks and the only temp workers I ever saw were seasonal driver-helpers

So no comment how this investment is going to affect other people beyond UPS employees??

Negotiated..fine. Not guaranteed though. You agree/understand?

Every job has seasonal workers... unless you prefer all those workers to be employed year round but their hours and benefits cut.

So no comment how this investment is going to affect other people beyond UPS employees??

Negotiated..fine. Not guaranteed though. You agree/understand?

Every job has seasonal workers... unless you prefer all those workers to be employed year round but their hours and benefits cut.

They agreed to fund the pension. How is it not guaranteed? I guess if the company tanks it's not guaranteed... but when a company is profiting billions every year, they need to meet their obligation.

I don't have a comment on how the infrastructure investment would translate to the rest of the market because UPS has been working for years on this Smart Logistics Network and it doesn't have a thing to do with the tax cuts. It was happening either way.

It's less than they have invested in the last 5 years without a tax break but you all came on here to masturbate furiously to the large number thinking it was some amazing sign of winning.

The article should had read that Exxon was investing less in the US due to the tax cut.

You had me at masterbate furiously...

Back