International US/Israel v. Iran

Will we go to war with Iran this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That sounds more like something to tell Marines to keep them thinking about their job.

But interestingly, when I went to basic (AF) in March 2001, they rounded up hundreds of us in the base theater and told us we were going to war with Iraq and Afghanistan because of Osama Bin Laden. Not saying false flag or anything like that, but it's obvious that we were looking for any fucking excuse to invade those countries.

REBUILDING AMERICA’S DEFENSES Strategy, Forces and Resources For a New Century
"Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor."

Of the twenty-five people who signed PNAC's founding statement of principles, ten went on to serve in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, including Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz.

REBUILDING AMERICA’S DEFENSES Strategy, Forces and Resources For a New Century
"Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor."

Of the twenty-five people who signed PNAC's founding statement of principles, ten went on to serve in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, including Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz.

Yeah for whatever reason nobody listened to these people, or even Wesley Clark. It's kind of baffling. I'm assuming you're of the same mind as me about Afghanistan- that we had no business invading them whatsoever. It was very convenient that there were enough OBL connections to appeal to that public bloodlust. Still really disappointed in the American people for going along with it, and then having just enough spare credulity to allow these people to bullshit us on Iraq.

Yeah for whatever reason nobody listened to these people, or even Wesley Clark. It's kind of baffling. I'm assuming you're of the same mind as me about Afghanistan- that we had no business invading them whatsoever. It was very convenient that there were enough OBL connections to appeal to that public bloodlust. Still really disappointed in the American people for going along with it, and then having just enough spare credulity to allow these people to bullshit us on Iraq.

Yup, I was just posting in another thread about how Afghanistan was another terrible decision.

Does anybody else think a war with Iran would be protested harder, by far, than any American war, including Vietnam? I think it would get absolutely batshit.

Does anybody else think a war with Iran would be protested harder, by far, than any American war, including Vietnam? I think it would get absolutely batshit.
This is why I voted no

It depends on the method of execution. If troops aren't deployed, then I can't see much protesting. I think society has normalized bombing the Middle East. If it does require troops then I would imagine the Democrats can dust off enough of the Bush era anti-war paraphenalia to rally up some significant anti-war protests.

My gut reaction is "no." I haven't seen much defense of Iran at all, ever, and you just alluded to how complicit the United States citizenry was in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria.

So long as there isn't a draft, as there was for Vietnam, and there certainly would not ever be, I don't see it sparking much outrage except for from the far left and the Middle Eastern American community.

And yet you already had a more successful and productive presidency than your predecessor.
giphy.gif

I have my doubts about that.

An attack, a flagrant act of war, Iran violating the nuclear deal, etc. could theoretically provoke a ground war. But it would have to be big. I can't imagine support for an invasion would be higher than 20%, rightly or wrongly. Starting a fight would be a sure-fire way to ensure that a candidate loses reelection.

Trump is already claiming Iran violated the agreement, even though or international allies say they haven't.

America likes war. Remember how even CNN was praising Trump after he bombed Afghanistan? Remember how popular Bush was going to war? Or how popular Obama was even though he broke his anti-war promises?

America loves war. Even though its soldiers hate it and the leading cause of soldiers dying is suicide and the support system for their disabilities stateside is continually being dismantled.

Let's light some fuckers up. We'll make up a reason if we have to. Like Bush did in Iraq and Trump is already doing

Lol @Palis . What a not-useless, not-turd person who was a great war room president. Certainly not a POS.

I think when it came to Afghanistan there was also the belief that after you brought down the Taliban you could install a relatively peaceful regime later.
Obviously now in hindsight that was a massive mistake.
But if you look at it from 2001. The regime change with the Soviets went peacefully all things considered. And military intervention on the Balkans also resulted in a "relatively" ok working system after.
And people still believed the fierce fighting against the Soviets from the Afghan was due to anti communists feelings. Not which it now turns out they are just going to fight anyone until the end.

But there was certainly an aspect of thinking you would also help the Afghan people in addition to going after Al Queada.

No, but hopefully the Iranian regime will moderate Saudi style or else shuffle out the door.

I would really love to see a relatively bloodless coup, that would terrify the CCP and be hard for them to hide on CCTV.

I hope that our government will focus on the U.S. You know, like someone who happens to be the President keeps tweeting about.

I wish it were that simple, but the powers that be and the cultural tide demand that the USA carry the flag for the West as long as possible.

Our influence, influences everything from free trade to the status of gays in Africa.

That is not the kind of luxury many in Washington and Brussels want to see become chaotic or dominated by old world powers.

Trump is already claiming Iran violated the agreement, even though or international allies say they haven't.

America likes war. Remember how even CNN was praising Trump after he bombed Afghanistan? Remember how popular Bush was going to war? Or how popular Obama was even though he broke his anti-war promises?

America loves war. Even though its soldiers hate it and the leading cause of soldiers dying is suicide and the support system for their disabilities stateside is continually being dismantled.

Let's light some fuckers up. We'll make up a reason if we have to. Like Bush did in Iraq and Trump is already doing
This is over-generalizing to the point of being inaccurate. And both the Obama and Trump Administrations were bombing Syria, not Afghanistan. We pretty much own the terrain there, so no need to bomb it.

Soldiers aren’t largely opposed to fighting. We generally feel committed to finishing what we started, but there are a lot of complicated feelings about it.

I can see that I’m not going to convince you otherwise though. There are no shortage of people who hate Donald Trump in this country and believe that he will definitely start a war because that’s he thing that they would hate the most. At the end of the day, it’s just projection. We aren’t going to war. Not a new one in Iran any time soon at least. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Probably, and that’s why it won’t happen. Iran is a massive landmass and presents some legitimate military threats. A war would require a draft during the nation-building process, and it would allocate most of our resources in one country. That makes no damned sense. Our power comes from deterrence, not beating up one country at a time. This thread is becoming the projection of a lot of negative emotions, but none of them make a fight more likely.

Back