International US/Israel v. Iran

Will we go to war with Iran this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, but hopefully the Iranian regime will moderate Saudi style or else shuffle out the door.

I would really love to see a relatively bloodless coup, that would terrify the CCP and be hard for them to hide on CCTV.
Moderating Saudi style would be regression for Iran. Your comment was farcical.

Moderating Saudi style would be regression for Iran. Your comment was farcical.

But that's not what I meant, intended, or argued in any of my posts.

I meant, clearly, that going in a direction of moderation as Saudi Arabia is trying to do, would be good for Iran.

I in no way, ever, said that Saudi Arabia was more moderate than Iran, or that Iran should moderate to a Saudi Arabian system, that is clearly untrue and I have never made a post that argued that in my entire posting history.

To repeat. Did you simply misunderstand me?

But that's not what I meant, intended, or argued in any of my posts.

I meant, clearly, that going in a direction of moderation as Saudi Arabia is trying to do, would be good for Iran.

I in no way, ever, said that Saudi Arabia was more moderate than Iran, or that Iran should moderate to a Saudi Arabian system, that is clearly untrue and I have never made a post that argued that in my entire posting history.

To repeat. Did you simply misunderstand me?
No, you misspoke. Moderating Saudi style would be regression for Iran. Period. You're clinging to this is certainly baffling, though.

What reforms that the Saudis are making would be a progressive change for Iran? Could you point out one single element of their reform that Iran should emulate?

The US needs some progressive reforms too. Should we also moderate, "Saudi Style"?

No, you misspoke. Moderating Saudi style would be regression for Iran. Period. You're clinging to this is certainly baffling, though.

What reforms that the Saudis are making would be a progressive change for Iran? Could you point out one single element of their reform that Iran should emulate?

The US needs some progressive reforms too. Should we also moderate, "Saudi Style"?

How could I logically miss post about my -own- world view and then reverse that worldview just to save face? That does not make any sense at all.

Would it not make a lot more sense for you to have: A. made a mistake about my intent or B. are trolling to infinity and beyond.

I have no post history of making the false Iran/Arabia comparison you tried to bait me into, but I am well over 90% sure that you have a recent history of trolling and jumping to rash conclusions/thread titles/bad memes.

But let's look at the issue plainly: Which makes more sense? I completely changed my entire view of Saudi Arabia/Iran in the last few hours, or you misread my statement and did some trolling?

You're just lucky that Sherdog does not have trials by jury.

Last edited by a moderator:
How could I logically misspeak about my own world view and then reverse that worldview just to save face?

Would it not make a lot more sense for you to be A. made a mistake about my intent or B. are trolling to infinity and beyond.

I have no post history of making the false comparison you tried to bait me into, but I am well over 90% sure that you have a recent history of trolling and jumping to rash conclusions.

But let's look at the issue plainly: Which makes more sense? I completely changed my view of Saudi Arabia/Iran in the last few hours, or you misread my statement and did some trolling?

You're just lucky that Sherdog does not have trials by jury.
Occam's razor says that you simply made a stupid comment, because you don't actually have much knowledge of the ME, and have been furiously backtracking, and obfuscating, ever since.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying that you're an idiot in this particular instance, and should simply own up to it. I'm sorry that you think Iran should moderate "Saudi Style", but I'm here to tell you that that notion is idiotic, and embarrassingly uninformed.

War with Iran? Just what we need, another swath of refugees.

War is highly illogical at this juncture. I think while Saddam had little outside help and was crippled by sanctions, Iran isn't as crippled, and would get considerable support in arms from its allies.

Occam's razor says that you simply made a stupid comment, because you don't actually have much knowledge of the ME, and have been furiously backtracking, and obfuscating, ever since.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying that you're an idiot in this particular instance, and should simply own up to it. I'm sorry that you think Iran should moderate "Saudi Style", but I'm here to tell you that that notion is idiotic, and embarrassingly uninformed.

I think you're projecting, and I am well over 90% sure.

Furthermore, I tend to apologize when wrong, not double down, or triple down.

How about you?

How about showing anywhere where I made the argument, or even a similar argument, that -you- are saying that -I- am making?

*popcorn.jpg*

No, but hopefully the Iranian regime will moderate Saudi style or else shuffle out the door.

I would really love to see a relatively bloodless coup, that would terrify the CCP and be hard for them to hide on CCTV.

I think you're projecting, and I am well over 90% sure.

How about showing anywhere where I made the argument, or even a similar argument, that -you- are saying that -I- am making?

*popcorn.jpg*

J6LdUIJ.gif

I have to say that your POV is really defensible and in line with recent history. Especially in that sort of intangible Orwell sense- the war that has always been the war.

I remember worrying during the Bush years- lots of people worried actually- that the GWOT was going to replace the norm of congressional checks on the military. And that continued through Obama's presidency, even when he tried to remind Congress that it was their job. They just wanted the President to make the decision anyway.

But the people, to my knowledge, have never supported that. We can't exactly protest in the streets over dropping a bomb on Libya here, or a drone strike in Yemen there, or even selling cluster bombs to Israel to use on Lebanon. Those are small actions that frankly don't register to us.

But is Iran part of that new normal? It's a big country with a big military. It requires enormous pre-positioning of assets, and that would play out in the public in a way similar to the Iraq buildup, but at least 4x as large. Unless I'm too out of the loop, it's not possible to do that by sniping at them with drones. They would take Iraq immediately in response, so then we have to fight a ground war or have an army in place as a deterrent.

The complications arising from occupation would be exponentially scaled up from Iraq. I think people sort of get that. I think those memes would spread, that it's a giant clusterfuck and a lost cause before it begins. Combined with the hatred this country has for Trump, I see the public blowing up.
This is really important. I don't think people realize how big Iran is and how formidable they are in comparison to Iraq. This would be a full-scale war effort that means taking divisions of tanks to war, an air battle to establish air superiority, involving the navy in legitimate sea battles to control the Persian Gulf, Arabian Sea, and Caspian Sea to be able to push supplies in, etc. Iraq and Afghanistan were half-efforts at best. We didn't really commit to those wars, and let's be honest, they weren't really in the forefront of anything. They were things that you talked about like you'd talk about any policy, but they weren't things you felt unless you were in the military. Iran would be different. This would be your sons, brothers, neighbors, and you getting drafted to serve. If you didn't, you'd go to jail or need to flee to a non-extradition country. This wouldn't be 5000 deaths spread out over 8 years. There would be battles where battalions would be wiped out, losing 1000 people over a day or two. And as the invasion continued, this would continue to happen. You would see men in your town missing arms and legs because they were wounded. Everyone would know someone who was killed in the war.

We would also be incredibly destructive to them. Look up the shit about Operation Nitro Zeus. This isn't going to be just us shooting a few terrorists like we did in Iraq. We are going to level that country to the ground so that they can't raise a shot against us. We would devastate their ability to even have a power grid, so there goes their ability to wage war against us. I really don't think people who are limiting the conversation to Trump really understand the gravity of what they are talking about. This is a major, major effort that will likely lead to the deaths of over 1-2 million people.

Can i change my vote? in the last 24 hours youve got Pence (not Trump on purpose) writing in the wapo about how stunning and brave some protest was in iran and monica crowley crowing about how this is why we have to kill the iran nuclear deal.

Feels like early Iraq WMD rumblings all over again.

Why is everyone so confident that we won't do it? The Jerusalem move was a huge thing. Mossad is absolutely shit stirring in Iran as I type this. Also, we were already targeting Iran for giving weapons to the the Houthi in Yemen. We're beating the drums at half speed already.

Because Trump doesn't know how to go to war. He literally would have no idea

Because Trump doesn't know how to go to war. He literally would have no idea

You say this like it's a bad thing. I'm sure you're in a hurry to go enlist for Vietnam 3: Persian Boogaloo.

This is actually a major argument for impeaching him so Pence can be Bush V 3.0 among some.

jahnmcboom.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has “ample authorities” to hold accountable those who commit violence against, censor or steal from Iranian protesters, the State Department said on Thursday.

Anyone who believes this is some kind of grass roots protest movement is a flat out rube.

Back