US it's not a country, it's a state of mind

none of those adequately protect the consumer. Buildings can not show shoddy workmanship until years later..... contaminated food products may not cause damage until years later. Im sorry but if thats the best you can come up with its a total joke.

regulations are the only thing that protect the people(the consumers) from being fucked over by greedy businesses
Pretty sure food poisoning happens pretty quickly, like within hours. And building inspectors paid by the government are no more infallible then privately hired ones. Sorry you can't debate w/o resorting to petty snipes.

@Liquid Smoke In this free market world, what is the impediment of the rich forming cartels and becoming informal and formal states?
You keep running to the fringes man. I think your position is far more radical than mine. I'm talking about the price of goods and services, you keep bringing up violent uprisings. I will say this, principles only operate within a range. If you run past the bounds of what we're talking about, you'll always find something.

Pretty sure food poisoning happens pretty quickly, like within hours. And building inspectors paid by the government are no more infallible then privately hired ones. Sorry you can't debate w/o resorting to petty snipes.
the private inspectors dont have the threat of law on their side. Food poisoning is the most minor offence when it comes to food. What about a company that decides to cut costs and imports a chemical that is cheaper than an ingredient they use, but they can replicate the same taste with another chemical. So thats 2 new chemicals that arent actually food added to the product. What if it turns out one of those chemicals causes cancer but the signs arent visible until years later...... again, thats something Libertarians dont give a fuck about.

Im not taking a snipe at you, Im just telling you that its a terrible answer and is actually laughable. I have no problem with you, but I cant ever take libertarians seriously when they think the free market is the answer to everything

You keep running to the fringes man. I think your position is far more radical than mine. I'm talking about the price of goods and services, you keep bringing up violent uprisings. I will say this, principles only operate within a range. If you run past the bounds of what we're talking about, you'll always find something.

My questions are about whats the power structure in that free market system you're talking about.

Im not taking a snipe at you, Im just telling you that its a terrible answer and is actually laughable. I have no problem with you, but I cant ever take libertarians seriously when they think the free market is the answer to everything
No worries. Petty snipes are part of the fun here. I don't have a problem with regulations related to public safety, my issue is with artificial inflation of assets and the boom and bust cycles they create.

My questions are about whats the power structure in that free market system you're talking about.
Everyone has power proportional to the value that they provide. If you start a business, you have more negotiating power than the guys who work there. But he's not omnipotent and they're not powerless, they are free to pursue their own interests in the market if they choose to do so.

Agreed, though the west is just about the only first world culture that openly celebrates hedonism as a worthy pursuit. I guess Latin America too but thats westernized enough to be in the club.
Interesting discussion really, of course first you'd need to define what the "east" and "west" are and what exactly qualifies as hedonism. All creatures seek pleasure and try to avoid pain. None of my experiences in travel have led me to think that hedonism is any more or less represented in any enclave where folks get together.

Interesting discussion anyway, cheers man.

About half this country let it be known not even money matters to them, just a vague sense of someone else's victory that ultimately amounts to nothing at all.

If Obama had a regulation making sure actual pieces of human shit weren't allowed in our drinking water, they would've cheered Trump repealing it.

Tell us how the world really is.

Interesting discussion really, of course first you'd need to define what the "east" and "west" are and what exactly qualifies as hedonism. All creatures seek pleasure and try to avoid pain. None of my experiences in travel have led me to think that hedonism is any more or less represented in any enclave where folks get together.

Interesting discussion anyway, cheers man.

I wouldnt consider "the west" as having an obvious counterpart. I just consider it as those nations that most resemble ancient Greeces systems. Ancient Greece itself being rampantly hedonistic. The advanced Asian cultures are all about family and hard work, being polite and respectful. Arab cultures favour piety. I dunno man, Im just winging my thoughts and opinions on it.

Back