US, Mexico, and Canada to Co-Host 2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by luckyshot, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Voltron

Voltron Green Belt

Cool, the stadiums are there for all 3 countries plus logistics.
    There is going to be minimum expenses for all 3 hosts ( no new stadiums or buildings).
    Plenty of hotels to host a shit load of people, lots of tourist attractions.
    This is probably the first world cup where the host or hosts in this case are actually going to make some money from it .
    FIFA should just host the world cup here all the time and stop bankrupting every hosting country.

volodya and MassDistortion like this.
  2. Bobby 3 Sticks

Bobby 3 Sticks Green Belt

There are certain requirements they may have had to meet during the bid process. That is certain stadiums may not be up to standards required by FIFA or compared to other cities/regions bidding . Soccer stadiums are very different from other stadiums . You may need to retrofit the stadium to properly accommodate soccer fans. See the London 2012 stadium as an example of this.

3. Bobby 3 Sticks

Infrastructure is almost guaranteed to be upgraded . Any new stadium or mega event (if it's a one off) will have improved and/or new infrastructure to go with it .

The tourism issue regarding sustained economic impact is that these events don't induce repeat tourism. That means you're stuck using the initial round of tourism to get enough EI to make up for the cost of the event

From the US perspective I wonder how much of the bid the US covered compared to Mexico/Canada

4. Wet Blanket

Wet Blanket Totally Radical Left Wing Vegan Misanthrope

There is a huge football scene in Toronto.

World cup time is always crazy here.

5. Revolver

Revolver you sound poor Staff Member Senior Moderator

Too many dates held in 3rd world countries not qualified to host these games. The US should just host the entire thing.

volodya likes this.
  6. flashNsmash

flashNsmash when it rains...

the big 'O' might need a bit of work

7. SaiWa

SaiWa Brown Belt

We have all the stadiums we need to cover any and all events for the World Cup. Philadelphia alone has 3 large stadiums right next to each other (baseball, football, hockey/basketball/whatever) for example.

So yeah... most large cities are already set up to handle a huge influx of people (or are used lots of traffic and shit)...

8. Bobby 3 Sticks

Again, you're ignoring that those large stadiums aren't fit for soccer. Do new stadiums need to be built? No .Do they need to be properly fitted for soccer? Yes. Example London Stadium (2012) became the home of West Ham United . London got convinced (swindled) into paying about $250M to properly fit the stadium for soccer. The stadiums here would need removable retrofitting to properly accommodate soccer and then convert back to their primary use . It likely isn't as much as the London Stadium cost wise but still a cost with how many stadiums (at least in the US) will need to be changed .

Anytime you want to keep talking out of your ass let me know .

9. Rod1

Rod1 Yellow Card Yellow Card

What necesary infrastrucutre and stadium improvements? Mexico receives tens of millions of tourists a year, it already has an 80k stadium (minimum final requirement) and a bunch of 50k+ stadiums for the rest of the games.

Its not Qatar where they had to build everything from the ground up.

10. Rod1

Rod1 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Most large stadiums in Mexico are soccer stadiums, the investment will be about zero. No need to build anything, Mexico already has 1 80k stadium (requirements for finals) and 2 60k+ stadiums (requirement for semis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Mexico

Mexico could host it alone tomorrow if it needed, we already did so when Colombia got theirs cancelled over narcoterrorism.

11. Bobby 3 Sticks

I can't speak to Mexico's infrastructure but we're talking 8 years from now. The US' infrastructure due to use, abuse, and climate will certainly go through degradation during these 8 years where significant investments will be made in the surrounding areas to ensure that facilities are easily accessible for fans. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. As I said before, with any new stadium or mega event there are accompanying infrastructure improvments that go along with it . These improvements typically see monies siphoned from other areas that might need it more.

Also, areas that see mega events and new stadiums might not have a large pressing need for better infrastructure, however, governments are more likely to improve the infrastructure in an effort to roll out the red carpet so to speak for the event and fans

12. Madmick

Madmick Scholar of Taghaza Staff Member Senior Moderator

Terrible news.

I don't want that godawful world-leading body of corruption anywhere near our land. FIFA is a scourge, and this isn't good for Americans as a whole.

13. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

The travel times will be unbearable plus parts of the USA are too humid in the summer for a soccerball match. Unless this is just in California, BC, and Baja then I guess that can work.

14. NaughtyBoy

NaughtyBoy Red Belt

Yep... the best matches will down there.

15. MadSquabbles500

This tourney is not like a full season or a yoff. Its just one and done games and will be short. That is why Russia only using western Russia, and not showcasing the beauty of Siberia.

16. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt Yellow Card

I agree, we don't give a shit. Why not give it to people who care?

It's like the Superbowl being played in Tokyo.

17. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

hopefully we can meet the esteemed standards set by Qatar

Quipling, Videer, milliniar and 4 others like this.
  18. MadSquabbles500

Why include Mexico, and Canada? Why Mexico and Canada not place their own bids?

Mexico already has the stadiums, I dont know what the hotel situation is like in the major cities with the big name teams though.

Canada can use the CFL stadiums, it wont be too hot, but again I dont know about the hotel situation in Calgary Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Sascathewan.

19. Madmick

Madmick Scholar of Taghaza Staff Member Senior Moderator

Here was a phenomenal article I came across earlier this week:
    How some inside FIFA battled Russian influence and lost
    Follow the link and keep reading.

Keep this shit out of my country. Nobody can right that ship. John Oliver tried his damn best, and at the end of the day, it barely amounted to a dent. This organization is a poison that infects everything it touches.

20. MadSquabbles500

You live in Bergen County brah. I grew up in Bergen County.

SaiWa likes this.