Social US Women's National Team Just Want To Be Treated Fairly - The Men's Can't Even Qualify For World Cup

Oh. Then they should just stop playing soccer.

You should stop embarrassing yourself by jumping face-first into discussions that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

Last edited:
You should stop embarrassing yourself by jumping face-first into discussions that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.
T(C)ry harder. I was pretty neutral. If they're worth the money that they demand, there is no way that they would be denied. If they're not getting it, then they're probably not worth what they think they are. And if there's someone or something holding back their perceived value, then they should just quit altogether since they're probably won't get it.

If the women feel they deserve more money than the men, then they should compete against men's teams. If they can beat the men's teams, then they deserve more money.

Ah I think I have misunderstood, as others have, and as you have pointed out. This is simply the national team, like drawing talent from pro teams. So if the mens team didn't qualify for 2018 then I assume they won't be making much money and the womens will be making more

That does make a decent case for the women in that aspect of the equation.

I'm assuming the other aspect of the equation is 'how much money should be invested to draw talent and field a competitive team', and to that I wouldn't know

If they have invested more into fielding a competitive mens team and didn't get the results (in revenue) then it isn't a good investment when they fail to qualify. As to what their chances are each year in terms of qualifying I also wouldn't know.

Yeah, you probably misunderstood a bit there, but there are some legitimately retarded posters in this thread who doesn't even know what a "National Team" is, or have any concept of revenue/profits brought in by each National Team to the U.S Soccer Federation at all.

It's not that hard to spot the idiots either, the most often-repeated idiocy here is "Let the Men's National Team play the Women's National Team in the World Cup to see who's better", or something to that effect.

I think the MNT getting wrecked by Trinidad & Tobago and sent home in shame from the 2018 World Cup qualifying rounds gonna put some weight on the WNT's fair demand, such as playing on natural grass field rather than skin-burning plastic turf.

I say our true U.S representative and World Champions deserves every amenities currently enjoyed by the pathetic MNT, and more.

US Women’s National Team is sick of being relegated to artificial turf
By Hannah Withiam | September 21, 2017​

uswnt.jpg

The United States women’s national team has reignited parts of its dispute with US Soccer five months after the sides reached a momentous agreement to increase pay and improve standards. The recurring issue at hand is one that has incensed women’s players before, when a handful of stars — Americans included — sued over FIFA’s decision to host the 2015 World Cup in Canada on artificial turf fields.

The American women are facing the same dilemma on their own, with four of their final nine games of 2017 scheduled to be played on turf.

“We feel that it’s not their top priority to put us on grass,” veteran midfielder Megan Rapinoe told the New York Times, “so they don’t.”

Rapinoe’s frustration stems from the clause in the collective bargaining agreement she feels US Soccer is violating. Among agreeing on a pay raise and higher standards of travel and accommodations in April’s collective bargaining agreement, the sides signed off on a statement that natural grass was the “preferred” surface for all games.

While the players reportedly were informed of the federation’s reasoning behind each venue selection, they felt slighted by the number of games still being relegated to turf — a surface many argue increases the risk of injury and shows the women are not being treated equally to the men, who play their international games on grass.

More than anything, Rapinoe worries the locations reveal is a sign of thwarted progress, especially after the players’ union fought for so long to reach April’s compromise.

“We just finished the negotiation process and this was something that was very important to us,” Rapinoe said. “We finished the deal and felt good about it — and then we turn around and we have three games at the back end of the year on turf. That doesn’t signal to us that the progress we wanted and talked about with the federation is being made.”

One bright spot is the the newfound transparency between US Soccer and the women’s national team, winners of the 2015 World Cup and quarterfinalists at the 2016 Summer Olympics. The two sides hold bi-weekly conference calls, as part of a provision included in the CBA, and are expected to meet face-to-face in Chicago on Monday, according to the Times.

While the number of games on turf has decreased since 2015 and relations have dramatically improved, the American women have been down this winding road before — going so far as to threaten a strike if their wages did not improve, as forward Alex Morgan did in January — and don’t want to navigate it again.

“We do understand that we can’t — or the federation is unwilling to — put every single game of ours on grass,” Rapinoe said. “But the expectation is that wherever we can, and with their best efforts, they will try to put us on grass.”

http://nypost.com/2017/09/21/us-womens-soccer-is-sick-of-being-relegated-to-artificial-turf/

Last edited:
Maybe paying the women more money would serve as a well-deserved kick in the ass for the men's soccer team.

The men crush the women in ratings. Over and over.

If the women's team want to be paid like the men then join the men's division and compete against them.

Maybe paying the women more money would serve as a well-deserved kick in the ass for the men's soccer team.

Ah, we finally have another poster here who actually follows the sport huh? :cool:

That game was just fucking brutal to watch, man.

The men crush the women in ratings. Over and over.

If the women's team want to be paid like the men then join the men's division and compete against them.

Did you just pulled that out of your ass? Here are the numbers from our two U.S National Teams in the previous World Cups:
ESPN’s viewership for the U.S. games during the 2014 World Cup:

U.S. vs. Belgium (July 1, 2014): 16.5 million
U.S. vs. Germany (June 26, 2014): 10.8 million
U.S. vs. Portugal (June 22, 2014): 18.2 million
U.S. vs. Ghana (June 17, 2014): 11.1 million

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/10/11/usa-world-cup-elimination-fox-sports-coverage-mexico-el-tri

Seems like America loves the U.S. women’s national team.

The USA's 5-2 win over Japan in the Women’s World Cup final Sunday night on FOX averaged a stunning 25.4 million viewers, making it the most-viewed soccer game ever in the United States–men’s or women’s–by a giant margin.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/06/usa-japan-womens-world-cup-tv-ratings-record

You wanna bet which National Team gonna get more viewers next time? The U.S Women's National Team probably playing in France in 2019 or the U.S Men's National Team certainly playing in their basement in 2018?

What, you want our national representatives to withdraw from the 2019 World Cup and play with the eliminated MTN in somebody's backyard instead? Are you dumb or stupid?

Last edited:
Ah, we finally have another poster here who actually follows the sport huh? :cool:

That game was just fucking brutal to watch, man.

I'm accustomed to the U.S. showing up in the World Cup. It feels somehow wrong that they don't.

Americans don't really care much about the sport, whether it is played by men or women. But nonetheless, this is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world, and America is not even participating in it. That's pretty bad.

Some time ago, it seemed that the U.S. team was starting to come up through the ranks. But it seems they've regressed.

Feel like this kind of crushes the argument

There's not enough revenue to pay out a whole lot

That's FIFA money. We're talking about the profits that the WNT brings in for the U.S Soccer Federation afterwards. The beef here is U.S Soccer are nickel and diming the WNT, despite they're the ones bringing in the profits for them.

This is the third time I'm posting this:

In 2015, the women’s team won the World Cup and then embarked on a scheduled 10-city victory tour that yielded an eight-figure bump to U.S. Soccer’s bottom line. As a result, the women brought in more than $23 million in game revenue, about $16 million more than the federation had projected.

After expenses, the women turned a profit of $6.6 million last year. The men? Their profit was just under $2 million.

Looking ahead, U.S. Soccer’s 2017 budget predicts that trend will be repeated: Expecting another Olympic gold medal, and another victory tour, the federation has forecast a profit of more than $5 million for the women’s team in the next fiscal year (on $17.5 million in revenue).

The men? U.S. Soccer figures they will lose about $1 million this year (on only $9 million in revenue).

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html

Looks like we have two women's national teams.

Did you just pulled that out of your ass? Here are the numbers from our two U.S National Teams in the previous World Cups:

You wanna beat which National Team gonna get more viewers? The U.S Women's National Team playing in France in 2019 or the U.S Men's National Team playing in their basement in 2018?

What, you want our national representatives to withdraw from the 2019 World Cup and play with the eliminated MTN in somebody's backyard instead? Are you dumb or stupid?

Over the last 20 years the men have totally crushed the women in attendance and television ratings.

The men have brought in more revenue. The men play a more popular and in demand game.

Pointing out exceptions is retarded when there are decades of information to look at.

That's FIFA money. We're talking about the profits that the WNT brings in for the U.S Soccer Federation afterwards. The beef here is U.S Soccer aid nickel and diming the WNT, despite they're the one bring in the money.

This is the third time I'm posting this:

In 2015, the women’s team won the World Cup and then embarked on a scheduled 10-city victory tour that yielded an eight-figure bump to U.S. Soccer’s bottom line. As a result, the women brought in more than $23 million in game revenue, about $16 million more than the federation had projected.

After expenses, the women turned a profit of $6.6 million last year. The men? Their profit was just under $2 million.

Looking ahead, U.S. Soccer’s 2017 budget predicts that trend will be repeated: Expecting another Olympic gold medal, and another victory tour, the federation has forecast a profit of more than $5 million for the women’s team in the next fiscal year (on $17.5 million in revenue).

The men? U.S. Soccer figures they will lose about $1 million this year (on only $9 million in revenue).

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html

Oh, so you can see the fucking future? You know for a fact that the women's team is going to win gold?

Projections are fact? You use a women's projected win at a tournament that hasn't happened and the victory tour that hasn't happened to fluff numbers?

A week a ago the men were projected to make it to the WC and profit BIGLY as the president would say.

Oh, so you can see the fucking future? You know for a fact that the women's team is going to win gold?

Projections are fact? You use a women's projected win at a tournament that hasn't happened and the victory tour that hasn't happened to fluff numbers?

A week a ago the men were projected to make it to the WC and profit BIGLY as the president would say.

Those projected numbers came straight from U.S Soccer themselves, the ones who are nickel and diming the Women's National Team. If you want to call them bullshit, go on right ahead.

If anything, the MNT will not be bringing in a single red cent for World Cup-related revenues to U.S Soccer from here on out, while the WNT will be the sole reason why sponsors would pay U.S Soccer to be featured before, during, and after the 2019 World Cup.

I don't know if the WNT will win gold again, but I can sure as hell say they will do better in their World Cup effort than the pampered MNT's pathetic elimination last week. If you want to put some real money where your mouth is, I'll be happy to ask one of the Admins to be the escrow for a real money bet.

Last edited:
If the women are paid the same amount as men for national games, and then immediately go back to being paid peanuts throughout their regular soccer season, that doesn't really solve anything in my book. It's an empty gesture.

In order for the women to be paid more, the interest in women's soccer overall would have to increase. You would need to have a serious, steady following of women's soccer, world-wide. The men are paid according to their estimated worth. Some of the men play in the English or German leagues, where the pay scale is simply way higher than in any women's league, and for a good reason. Therefore, to give them incentives to play for America's soccer team, you also have to dish out a lot more cash on the table. Otherwise you'd have to rely on local, cheap players. Although from the looks of it, you'd probably receive the same results.

If women's soccer overall doesn't draw, then it's difficult for the people promoting the events to justify suddenly giving a 1000%+ or whatever pay raise to the women, merely because they wear national uniform, and because they deserve equal pay. Even if they do draw in that uniform. The women are being paid according to what they are worth without that uniform, the same as the men. And it's pretty difficult to make the case that they deserve more based on what women's soccer draws regularly, without the promotion that is put into international events.

The whole argument about men beating women, or whatever, none of that really matters. I'm pretty sure that there are heavyweights that could kick Conor McGregor's ass, but that doesn't mean they should be paid more. It's about drawing money, at the end of the day. Level of competition comes second. I'm sure there are female models who are paid way more than their male counter-parts, and so on. That's just how it goes. It's comparing apples to oranges, really.

Last edited:
If the women are paid the same amount as men for national games, and then immediately go back to being paid peanuts throughout their regular soccer season, that doesn't really solve anything in my book. It's an empty gesture.

The sad thing is, they still have to fight tooth and nail for that "empty gesture". That's how pathetic the entire situation is.

For now, I would just be happy to see a World Cup-winning, profit-generating U.S National Team getting pay on the same scale as the World Cup-eliminated, money-losing U.S National Team, and get to represent their country on an actual grass field rather than the skin-burning, bone-bruising plastic turf that they have to play on right now.

What the defending World Cup Champions are asking for is completely fair, and it baffles the mind to see how many people here are against that, even AFTER the U.S Men's National Team got their asses handed to them in the World Cup elimination round by a tiny island that most Sherdoggers can't even find on the world map.

Last edited:
I'm accustomed to the U.S. showing up in the World Cup. It feels somehow wrong that they don't.

Americans don't really care much about the sport, whether it is played by men or women. But nonetheless, this is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world, and America is not even participating in it. That's pretty bad.

Some time ago, it seemed that the U.S. team was starting to come up through the ranks. But it seems they've regressed.
That rant is absolutely spot on, and I've had the same thoughts for us here in Canada too. We have many of the same advantages the US do, but can't beat tiny little island nations? It's pathetic. I've always liked comparing Canada to Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark or Finland. Those countries share a passion for hockey like we do (not to the extreme, but still) and can still field very good/respectable teams in both sports.

That rant is absolutely spot on, and I've had the same thoughts for us here in Canada too. We have many of the same advantages the US do, but can't beat tiny little island nations? It's pathetic. I've always liked comparing Canada to Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark or Finland. Those countries share a passion for hockey like we do (not to the extreme, but still) and can still field very good/respectable teams in both sports.

It seems the interest level just isn't very high. Also, the prospect building seems to be awful compared to the common European method. However, even that is not much of an excuse because countries like Iceland, with a very limited talent pool, are fielding decent teams, merely because of strategy.

I'd look at the coaching first of all, in Canadian and American soccer teams. You don't really need great players to play good soccer, you just need disciplined players who can execute a strategy, and a good coach who can put such a team together. You do need great players to actually win the tournaments, but you can hang in there with just a good, solid team that works together, without straying away from the plan.

Sweden, Denmark and Finland are tiny nations by comparison, but ultimately you're only putting 11 men on the field. 11 men out of tens of thousands of players, are going to be very good. In the US or Canada, they might have more options to choose from, but if they're not producing top-level talent, that advantage is not truly going to matter. If Americans or Canadians mostly take up soccer as a hobby, while the Swedes or the Danes see it as a serious career option, the sheer size of the talent pool won't matter if the culture around the sport is very lax and casual.

Back