USA Wrestling Scores Another International Stud - Nodirjon Safarov

Why would he have an unwavering loyalty to the University? Do you really think Chamizo was brought in to help the Columbia Wrestling program?

He has an unwavering loyalty because they pay him; its his job. Cross recently did an interview on mattalk podcast and stated point blank, Chamizo was brought in to help the college guys.

He has an unwavering loyalty because they pay him; its his job. Cross recently did an interview on mattalk podcast and stated point blank, Chamizo was brought in to help the college guys.

Oh I don't doubt he said that. Is that also the reason why they brought in Helen Maroulis? Columbia doesn't have Women's wrestling.

I will agree to disagree. I obviously will not change your mind on this subject, and you are not going to change mine. To keep arguing this point is kind of counter productive. I respect your opinion, and I enjoyed the conversation.
You keep ignoring the way the actual money works and why Cross was brought in

Oh I don't doubt he said that. Is that also the reason why they brought in Helen Maroulis? Columbia doesn't have Women's wrestling.
You don’t think Helen being there helps the college.. and the RTC has changed to help Columbia since you’ve been there

You keep ignoring the way the actual money works and why Cross was brought in
You don’t think Helen being there helps the college.. and the RTC has changed to help Columbia since you’ve been there

Jack,

You are a decent guy, you are extremely knowledgeable, and definitely an asset to this forum. However, you are notorious for engaging in marathon thread wars that last for weeks. I do not have the time, energy, nor the desire to engage in one. Nor do I think people on this forum want to watch ourselves repeat each argument over and over. Like I said earlier, lets agree to disagree. I realize you are not going to agree with my argument, and I am not going to agree with yours. I will clarify myself one more time and then I am retiring from this thread.

Regarding the money….

Yes, I read and comprehended your posts, your club does not receive any funds from USA wrestling, and you pointed out most of the clubs receive funding from the University, which is probably true to an extent. You are leaving out a 5000 pound elephant that is lurking in the room; Corporate and personal donations. Although you do not see it in your club in the South Side of Chicago, they are a big factor in the major RTC’s, even the ones associated with universities. These clubs are 501(c)(3) clubs, which are exempt federal and corporate taxes, therefore they can be written off by the donors. Regardless, of whether or not Kendall Cross’s check is cut by USA Wrestling, it is USA Wrestling that sets up the guidelines for these self-funded nonprofit clubs, and they are for the benefit of USA Wrestling.

As mentioned earlier by @dsdoubled , the goals of the club to develop Olympic Caliber Wrestlers are stated right on the website.

What is the New York City Regional Training Center?
The New York City RTC is recognized as a satellite location for athletes to train and compete in international styles of wrestling through USA Wrestling, the governing body of wrestling within the United States Olympic Committee. The facility will be opened year-round and available to USA Wrestling member athletes who meet the designated criteria and want to compete on world and Olympic teams. The NYC RTC operates as a partnership between Columbia University, The Edge School of Wrestling (Hoboken, NJ) and USA Wrestling. Its goal is to create and develop world-class wrestling opportunities in the New York City region.

Kalika was living, and had his own business in California, if he moved to New York to work for NYCRTC they must be paying him some serious cash, probably more than many of the Columbia Professors. Being that Wrestling is not a money making sport for Columbia, the donors must be helping with the check.

I have stated many times that I believe Kendall Cross was brought in to develop a training center that is going to produce world and Olympic members, your argument was that he was brought in to Develop Columbia’s wrestling Program. We both are not going to budge on the argument so why continue?

Since this is my last post on this topic, you might wonder why I disagree with you that Cross brought in Chamizo to make Columbia’s program better. I believe Cross is a fierce competitor which is exemplified by the fact that he is a World and Olympic champion. I think Cross want’s to cement his legacy as a one of the best freestyles coach by training a man to beat “The Man” (AKA Jordan Boroughs). I have no problem with this if he was training a US Competitor like Kyle Dake. Chamizo is not representing Team USA therefore he should step aside. I know we disagree here, you and Holt believe Chamizo was brought in to help with Columbia’s wrestling program. If Columbia really wanted Kendall Cross to turn around their program, then why wouldn’t they just hire him as their head coach?

The RTC will probably benefit Columbia’s wrestlers on a minimal level. There are exceptions, but 99% of the kids wrestling could not handle the physical, mental, and the enormous amount of time spent training and still keep a passing GPA in an Ivy League curriculum. I know I sure of hell could not have done it. There will never be a top tier division one program like Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma state etc. in an Ivy League School! It is not feasibly possible!

The answer your question; do I think Helen Marouls would help Columbia’s program, the answer would be and emphatic NO. Maroulis probably has better technique, and more knowledge than any of the wrestlers on the team, but unless she is running practices, which I highly doubt, they will receive no benefit. Wrestling with her will not benefit them, I have wrestled with top level women, and as sexist as this may sound they simply do not have the strength of men.

I am officially done with this argument.

Daniel Fox out.

Helen moved on her own because her coach got the other job for Columbia.

@Daniel Fox , maybe you could listen to this podcast. It is with Kendal Cross, and he point blank tells exactly his situation, why they brought in Chamizo, and ends all of the conjecture on this subject. Unless you want to say Cross is lying.

https://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/trackwrestling/mat-chat/mc64-olympic-champion-kendall-cross/

Jack,

You are a decent guy, you are extremely knowledgeable, and definitely an asset to this forum. However, you are notorious for engaging in marathon thread wars that last for weeks. I do not have the time, energy, nor the desire to engage in one. Nor do I think people on this forum want to watch ourselves repeat each argument over and over. Like I said earlier, lets agree to disagree. I realize you are not going to agree with my argument, and I am not going to agree with yours. I will clarify myself one more time and then I am retiring from this thread.

Regarding the money….

Yes, I read and comprehended your posts, your club does not receive any funds from USA wrestling, and you pointed out most of the clubs receive funding from the University, which is probably true to an extent. You are leaving out a 5000 pound elephant that is lurking in the room; Corporate and personal donations. Although you do not see it in your club in the South Side of Chicago, they are a big factor in the major RTC’s, even the ones associated with universities. These clubs are 501(c)(3) clubs, which are exempt federal and corporate taxes, therefore they can be written off by the donors. Regardless, of whether or not Kendall Cross’s check is cut by USA Wrestling, it is USA Wrestling that sets up the guidelines for these self-funded nonprofit clubs, and they are for the benefit of USA Wrestling.

As mentioned earlier by @dsdoubled , the goals of the club to develop Olympic Caliber Wrestlers are stated right on the website.

What is the New York City Regional Training Center?
The New York City RTC is recognized as a satellite location for athletes to train and compete in international styles of wrestling through USA Wrestling, the governing body of wrestling within the United States Olympic Committee. The facility will be opened year-round and available to USA Wrestling member athletes who meet the designated criteria and want to compete on world and Olympic teams. The NYC RTC operates as a partnership between Columbia University, The Edge School of Wrestling (Hoboken, NJ) and USA Wrestling. Its goal is to create and develop world-class wrestling opportunities in the New York City region.

Kalika was living, and had his own business in California, if he moved to New York to work for NYCRTC they must be paying him some serious cash, probably more than many of the Columbia Professors. Being that Wrestling is not a money making sport for Columbia, the donors must be helping with the check.

I have stated many times that I believe Kendall Cross was brought in to develop a training center that is going to produce world and Olympic members, your argument was that he was brought in to Develop Columbia’s wrestling Program. We both are not going to budge on the argument so why continue?

Since this is my last post on this topic, you might wonder why I disagree with you that Cross brought in Chamizo to make Columbia’s program better. I believe Cross is a fierce competitor which is exemplified by the fact that he is a World and Olympic champion. I think Cross want’s to cement his legacy as a one of the best freestyles coach by training a man to beat “The Man” (AKA Jordan Boroughs). I have no problem with this if he was training a US Competitor like Kyle Dake. Chamizo is not representing Team USA therefore he should step aside. I know we disagree here, you and Holt believe Chamizo was brought in to help with Columbia’s wrestling program. If Columbia really wanted Kendall Cross to turn around their program, then why wouldn’t they just hire him as their head coach?

The RTC will probably benefit Columbia’s wrestlers on a minimal level. There are exceptions, but 99% of the kids wrestling could not handle the physical, mental, and the enormous amount of time spent training and still keep a passing GPA in an Ivy League curriculum. I know I sure of hell could not have done it. There will never be a top tier division one program like Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma state etc. in an Ivy League School! It is not feasibly possible!

The answer your question; do I think Helen Marouls would help Columbia’s program, the answer would be and emphatic NO. Maroulis probably has better technique, and more knowledge than any of the wrestlers on the team, but unless she is running practices, which I highly doubt, they will receive no benefit. Wrestling with her will not benefit them, I have wrestled with top level women, and as sexist as this may sound they simply do not have the strength of men.

I am officially done with this argument.

Daniel Fox out.
I’m not engaging in a marathon argument about it. I’m simply trying to help you understand how the function of current system works
But while we both agree that we won’t agree.. there are some things that bear clarification.

1. I’m probably more aware of the personal donations and whatnot than you are from personal experience
  2. That was a significant part of my point. It doesn’t matter if they are under the banner of USA wrestling. USA wrestling isn’t cutting the checks.
  3. That does not change if it’s a local RTC or if it’s a college RTC. My point remains the same, neither me nor Kendall Cross get our checks from USA wrestling
  4. Daniel.. I’m sorry, excluding all of our other arguments.. Of all of your points.. why doesn’t Cross become head coach if he “really” wants to help Columbia. Is by far your weakest. Columbia doesn’t need a “room/Technique guy” as head coach. It needs an administrator who can fundraise and shake hands and keep the program alive. Cross being the club coach maximizes the help he can provide the program.
  5. Not saying the last point to be harsh, but you of all people should understand that being an ideal head coach in a DI school, especially a fundraising dependent one like Columbia isn’t about being the best technique guy. Cross would be not wasted but massively underutilized as the head coach.
  6. And personally, I don’t really care if it’s “just used as a tax write off” if it keeps a DI program alive and/or helps kids in a way that works. That money is being used well.
  7. My above points are not to further the argument but to highlight major points

Last edited:
Back