Used to train boxing, found out I only have one kidney, what to do?

Marziek

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey,

I used to train boxing a lot until a year ago, then I found out I was born with only one kidney during a routine check up, which has made me a lot more cautious.

Should I pick it up again? Does anyone have similar experience? My doctor basically told me to be careful, not much else. She didn't forbid me to train, but as I said, I'm more cautious than I once was.

Is there some other martial art where strikes to the kidney aren't as common? Preferably stand-up fighting, but I'm open to anything.

i cant think of any form of striking where you wouldnt get hit in the kidneys at some point or another. You can grapple, like wrestle, bjj, etc.

Give the other one away

Hey,

I used to train boxing a lot until a year ago, then I found out I was born with only one kidney during a routine check up, which has made me a lot more cautious.

Should I pick it up again? Does anyone have similar experience? My doctor basically told me to be careful, not much else. She didn't forbid me to train, but as I said, I'm more cautious than I once was.

Is there some other martial art where strikes to the kidney aren't as common? Preferably stand-up fighting, but I'm open to anything.
Buy a new one when you get famous. I thought kidney shots weren't legal in boxing? You should be more worried about drugs and alcohols effects.

If you were doing alright before I don't see why there would be a huge change now - just so long as you're aware of it in case of an accident, I'm sure if worst comes to worst and you get hit in your one kidney you can just stop for a bit

... real talk though how did it take this long to find out you have one kidney?

Imo you should look for annother expert physician to ask about that as you obviously dont feel informed enough. Its not a question for an internet forum.

If you are missing a kidney than what goes into that space? If it is more muscle or more fat, then I don't see the harm in getting struck there.

I know I am born with two kidneys cause I had stones on both sides at different times.

i got a friend who has one kidney - loves boxing - WILL NEVER BOX.

You only have one kidney - dont damage it. you dont want to spend the better years - or any years - of your life dragging around a dialysis machine hooked to a hose in your midsection.

If you want to train anything then do BJJ and train without slams or takedowns. At least you can still strangle people if you needed to.

Ill add something

You need to keep drinking water before you train , while you train , after you train.

Boxing is really the worst thing you could do besides muay thai. you get your body hot- you lose water and sweat - then you take potential shots to a vital organ that cannot replenish itself of water. Very dangerous.

Padwork and bagwork, drills and partner exercises if controlled should be ok. I would def not spar, and if you do - light and with some kind of protection over your kidney.

Ill add something

You need to keep drinking water before you train , while you train , after you train.

Boxing is really the worst thing you could do besides muay thai. you get your body hot- you lose water and sweat - then you take potential shots to a vital organ that cannot replenish itself of water. Very dangerous.

Padwork and bagwork, drills and partner exercises if controlled should be ok. I would def not spar, and if you do - light and with some kind of protection over your kidney.

Increasing sodium would be a good idea as well for hydration.

Back