Useless and useful supplements

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There is a very gray area with supplements. Some recommend them (usually those who sell them), some don't (usually those who sell other stuff).

I would like to know what is your experience with supplements of any kind. Vitamins, minerals, fish oils, ZMA, creatine, tribulus, glutamine, arginine, all the types. Steroids, if you want.

And by experience I mean I somebody had clearly results, not just a placebo effect.

My experience:

vitamin D - before taking it, I was catching colds frequently. Now, for almost two years, I never got sick.
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/vitamind-d-supplements-prevent-cold-flu-infections/

zinc - the white spots on nails were gone after taking it. And that's it.

creatine - I had a period when I took creatine, but I had an disorganized lifestyle (alcohol, not much of a nutrition, dehydrated, less sleep). I had the impression that it helped me when I was going to the gym. Maybe it was the placebo effect, I don't know. And I had severe constipation.... due to dehydratation, I guess. Now, I am taking it and a have a more organized lifestyle and it doesn't seem to work.

fish oils - nothing

lecithin - I took it and nothing

glutamine - nothing

mineral and vitamin complex - nothing

magnesium chelate and vitamin B - nothing

ginko biloba - nothing

Also, I am taking Chondroitin, MSM and glucosamine now, I am still waiting.

Sorry for posting here, can someone move it to Dieting / Supplement Discussion, please?

-Sublingual B-12 has been very very effective for me.
-Vegetable based Iron supplement also very helpful.
-I have had great success in the form of a 300 point increase in total testosterone from a good quality tribulus product. It has to be at least 90% saponin concentration to be effective.
-Vit D is always a good idea.
Bloodwork confirmed the effectiveness of all the above.

-Zinc and magnesium also a good idea but you have to do your research and find a good quality one.
-Pantothenic acid was extremely effective for treating acne back in the day. Like unbelievably effective.
-Flax seed oil and algae oil based omega 3 is really good.
-I took D aspartic acid and I could tell it worked well for boosting T levels but the more research I read it scared the shit out of me with potential side effects.
-99% of vitamin C supplements are absolute garbage. Ascorbic acid is not going to work like real vitamin C.

ZMA makes me sleep great but take a while to wake up.

Creatin makes me hold some water, probably helps lift, I don't know.

BCAAs how would you know?

Ostarine yup yup yup yup yup

-Sublingual B-12 has been very very effective for me.
-Vegetable based Iron supplement also very helpful.
-I have had great success in the form of a 300 point increase in total testosterone from a good quality tribulus product. It has to be at least 90% saponin concentration to be effective.
-Vit D is always a good idea.
Bloodwork confirmed the effectiveness of all the above.

-Zinc and magnesium also a good idea but you have to do your research and find a good quality one.
-Pantothenic acid was extremely effective for treating acne back in the day. Like unbelievably effective.
-Flax seed oil and algae oil based omega 3 is really good.
-I took D aspartic acid and I could tell it worked well for boosting T levels but the more research I read it scared the shit out of me with potential side effects.
-99% of vitamin C supplements are absolute garbage. Ascorbic acid is not going to work like real vitamin C.
D aspartic acid was some mood altering shit for me. I stopped taking it

There is a very gray area with supplements. Some recommend them (usually those who sell them), some don't (usually those who sell other stuff).

I would like to know what is your experience with supplements of any kind. Vitamins, minerals, fish oils, ZMA, creatine, tribulus, glutamine, arginine, all the types. Steroids, if you want.

And by experience I mean I somebody had clearly results, not just a placebo effect.

My experience:

vitamin D - before taking it, I was catching colds frequently. Now, for almost two years, I never got sick.
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/vitamind-d-supplements-prevent-cold-flu-infections/

zinc - the white spots on nails were gone after taking it. And that's it.

creatine - I had a period when I took creatine, but I had an disorganized lifestyle (alcohol, not much of a nutrition, dehydrated, less sleep). I had the impression that it helped me when I was going to the gym. Maybe it was the placebo effect, I don't know. And I had severe constipation.... due to dehydratation, I guess. Now, I am taking it and a have a more organized lifestyle and it doesn't seem to work.

fish oils - nothing

lecithin - I took it and nothing

glutamine - nothing

mineral and vitamin complex - nothing

magnesium chelate and vitamin B - nothing

ginko biloba - nothing

Also, I am taking Chondroitin, MSM and glucosamine now, I am still waiting.
Chondroitin and glucosamine never did shit for me

For me it worked extremely well. Libido, insane hard-ons (forgive me), great pumps in the gym, a fuller look to my muscles. But I read a lot more on it and it seems to have only been studied for 12 days at a time. Nothing even close to prolonged and then I read that it can seriously screw with you brain and nervous system. As far as hormonal health is concerned, I know tribulus works if you get the right brand, but there are a few others I always wanted to try.
Fenugreek
Tongkat Ali
Stinging Nettle Root
DIM
DHEA
I havge tried stinging nettle and I don't think there is any doubt it does what it says it does, but less SHBG also means more free estrogens floating around so if you don't take it with DIM u could have some issues.

For me it worked extremely well. Libido, insane hard-ons (forgive me), great pumps in the gym, a fuller look to my muscles. But I read a lot more on it and it seems to have only been studied for 12 days at a time. Nothing even close to prolonged and then I read that it can seriously screw with you brain and nervous system. As far as hormonal health is concerned, I know tribulus works if you get the right brand, but there are a few others I always wanted to try.
Fenugreek
Tongkat Ali
Stinging Nettle Root
DIM
DHEA
I havge tried stinging nettle and I don't think there is any doubt it does what it says it does, but less SHBG also means more free estrogens floating around so if you don't take it with DIM u could have some issues.

How much per day and what brands, if I may ask?

How much per day and what brands, if I may ask?
For what? D Aspartic Acid?
I just followed the label instructions and I did it for about 3 weeks before jumping ship. I seriously suggest you look into the research before you mess with this stuff.
21016.jpg

Glucosamine, BCAA (Xtend), Fish Oil (high quality stuff, not the watered down store crap) have all helped me.

Non steroid anti inflammatory muscle rubs such as Neotica and Namman Muay have helped tons.

I love this, good idea.

Multi vitamin - nothing

Amino x BCAA - this is the only intra workout ive found that has vitamin d in it. Stimulant free, i can always get a good workout on this at night after work, when caffeine isnt wanted.

Creatine- mono ester kre alkalin, bah, it all sucked. BUT! Once i learned im school what its for, i can assume i didnt use it right. It provides extra energy for say a 10 rep max. NOT a 1-3 rep max. So it should do great for bulking.

Caffeine 200-400mg-id feel wired, sure, but could always sleep. Unless at night when i need to...fucking weird.

Caffeine + Ephedra - caffeine would NOT be 400mg, but more 200. Eph was 35mg and id typically feel like id have 8 hours of sleep.

D Aspartic Acid-mostly, nothing

ZMA- dreams like a mofo. Cum didnt increase and ut didnt PUT me to sleep, just gave me rem sleep.

Valarian root amd melatonin- i personally gotta take 5mg of melatonin for any big effect. The valarian will relax the piss out of you, but not so much sleepy, unless you eat 5 of these sock smelling pills.

Theanine- nothing

Citrulline- fuck this tingling shit. Of course, the sooner you begin working out, the sooner the tingles go away.

Fish oil- absolutely motherfucking nothing

Glucosamine, MSM, Chondtriwhatever-nothing

The ones i'm using are Multivitamin,Whey (Cant afford to eat allot of meat per day) and creatine. All other stuff is waste of money,believe me.

After some research, I decided to buy D-aspartic acid. If the things are going the wrong way, I will just stop taking it. I will let you know about the effects, if there are any.

What is seems fishy to me is the infinite range of products. They produced a supplement for any shit possible.

I understand the existence of vitamins, minerals, creatine, proteins, fish oils, something for bones and articulations.

But you have
- arginine
- maca
- tribulus
- ginko biloba
- axtaxanthin
- shark cartilage
- gelatin
- msn
- boswellia
- 5 htp
- dopa mucuna
- carnitine
- ALC - better than carnitine
- gaba
- tyrosine
- melatonin (which works, I forgot to mention, I tried it, but it lowers testosterone, from some studies)
- rhodiala
- guarana
- q10
- 23823823483 types of antioxidans
- glutamine
- arginine
- fenugreek
- garlic... fucking garlic, man (and any other possible plant, root, green veggie, whatever)
- DHEA
- DAA
- alanine
- beta alanine (I wonder if there isn't any alfa alanine)
- and the freak circus continues

And every supplement company brags with the fact that every products helps you in 34848338 different ways.
And if you read an unbiased site (wikipedia -I know, it's not perfect, but it's impartial), you find out that either there aren't no studies regarding a supplement, either there were a few studies and not confirmed or poorly confirmed. For most of them. Creatine is the most studied supplement, I think, and the results are positive.

Very doubtful.

After some research, I decided to buy D-aspartic acid. If the things are going the wrong way, I will just stop taking it. I will let you know about the effects, if there are any.

What is seems fishy to me is the infinite range of products. They produced a supplement for any shit possible.

I understand the existence of vitamins, minerals, creatine, proteins, fish oils, something for bones and articulations.

But you have
- arginine
- maca
- tribulus
- ginko biloba
- axtaxanthin
- shark cartilage
- gelatin
- msn
- boswellia
- 5 htp
- dopa mucuna
- carnitine
- ALC - better than carnitine
- gaba
- tyrosine
- melatonin (which works, I forgot to mention, I tried it, but it lowers testosterone, from some studies)
- rhodiala
- guarana
- q10
- 23823823483 types of antioxidans
- glutamine
- arginine
- fenugreek
- garlic... fucking garlic, man (and any other possible plant, root, green veggie, whatever)
- DHEA
- DAA
- alanine
- beta alanine (I wonder if there isn't any alfa alanine)
- and the freak circus continues

And every supplement company brags with the fact that every products helps you in 34848338 different ways.
And if you read an unbiased site (wikipedia -I know, it's not perfect, but it's impartial), you find out that either there aren't no studies regarding a supplement, either there were a few studies and not confirmed or poorly confirmed. For most of them. Creatine is the most studied supplement, I think, and the results are positive.

Very doubtful.
Isn't dhea just a steroid? I found that out and threw away a half a bottle. I tossed the DAA as well. It works but I didn't like how I felt

Back