Useless techniques you wanna learn?

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I guess most under this category will be kicks?

Anyway. I wanna try to learn the jumping kicks from thai style foot volleyball.

Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, and chu gif shoes

I already learned all my useless techniques when I got a black belt in tkd, half kidding. Don't even know if i can still do them but back in college i could do some dope ass 540 kicks and aerials and front flipping hammer kicks, etc. It wasn'tparty of any curriculum I just had the background to learn them easily.

Some of them are still useful to break out, like the side to back kick without putting you leg down, the side kick is basically a feint and the the back kick lands. It's like a once every six months kinda kick.

Useless technique just for show... hmm... I would have to go with that thing they do in boxing, they call it punching I think... It looks cool, but it's completely useless.

Seriously. They have one kick in Karate I like and cannot do, a horizontal 360... Don't know the name. I have a decent 360 from TKD, but i cannot make my body go horizontal like they do, making the kick come from above...

I've always wanted to be better at axe kicks but lack the flexibility. I don't know, most of my goals in striking involve being slicker and getting hit less, not throwing fancy shit. I'd rather be Willy Pep than Andy Hug (other than that Andy Hug was the most 80s man in the world and hence the most unselfconsciously awesome).

There's only 1 technique needed, though to be fair, I hear if do correct no can defense so that might not make it useless. You decide...

Useless technique just for show... hmm... I would have to go with that thing they do in boxing, they call it punching I think... It looks cool, but it's completely useless.

Seriously. They have one kick in Karate I like and cannot do, a horizontal 360... Don't know the name. I have a decent 360 from TKD, but i cannot make my body go horizontal like they do, making the kick come from above...

I think you're either talking about a butterfly twist or a 540 crescent kick. Here is a gif of a guy doing both of those kicks. (Ya, I used to be pretty into trick kicks.)

Jeffcombo.gif

I think I mean the butterfly twist (third one), but i don't remember the head movement he does before the kick ... Could be risky in sparring. Any idea if it's used in karate, and what name they have for it? I'm pretty sure I've seen it in karate matches but I cannot find it, so I may be wrong.

I think it's originally a wushu kick? They do a lot of butterfly kicks, which is just the horizontal kick with no spin. Never heard it called anything other than butterfly/butterfly twist.

It's also pretty prevalent in ice skating.

AnnualQuestionableGuineapig-max-1mb.gif

Kamehameha...useless because if you actually use it you're going to be assassinated by a Military

Butterfly kick is a nothern kung fu kick.

Butterfly twist is not a kick.

I'm not sure i'm right, but from what i've found:

1) Butterfly kick: Kung fu kick.
2) Butterfly twist: Break Dance move/Ice skating.
3) Butterfly twist kick: TKD kick ?

1)

2)

3)

There is a clear deference to me between 1 and 3. The one I had in mind was 3 but not sure where I've seen it. Still think it was in karate...

Last edited:
1 = 3 without the 360 spin. I've seen hundreds of people throw it; never seen anyone land it in a sparring match. It's purely a movie kick.

There is a community of people that hold tournaments and what not, a lot of them movie stunt people, called "trickers" or whatever they call themselves these days. The moves are mostly from gymnastics, capoeria, and break dancing. That's the only "style" I've seen associated with a butterfly twist kick other than perhaps wushu. Just a bunch of flips and spins and stuff, no actual martial art base, although most come from TKD.

There is a community of people that hold tournaments and what not, a lot of them movie stunt people, called "trickers" or whatever they call themselves these days. The moves are mostly from gymnastics, capoeria, and break dancing. That's the only "style" I've seen associated with a butterfly twist kick other than perhaps wushu. Just a bunch of flips and spins and stuff, no actual martial art base, although most come from TKD.

Yeah I've seen those. Redbull had some good tricking battles. But I still have the feeling I saw that kick in a karate tournament... Of course the Karatekas from our forum cannot be useful for once, too busy learning katas, or the Japanese terminology of every strike...

I just wanna learn to imitate masters like Kenichi! :D

Yeah I've seen those. Redbull had some good tricking battles. But I still have the feeling I saw that kick in a karate tournament... Of course the Karatekas from our forum cannot be useful for once, too busy learning katas, or the Japanese terminology of every strike...
You sound bitter... and poor. :D

Why cant i land on the damn kicking foot!!!??!!!

:rustled:

Back