Using the Wrestler's WEST POINT RIDE as a Submission in BJJ

Invisible Jiu Jitsu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

As someone who didn't grow up wrestling I'm continually surprised by how much you can steal for BJJ and how much is yet to fully cross over and be assimilated by the majority BJJ community :)

This is an ignorant question, maybe, but how does the submission actually work? Are you putting pressure on the shoulder joint?

man looks like a solid move gonna try to drill it when i get a chance

I remember this pin from freestyle, we never usually used it because it is.. freestyle, people don't usually care much for pins in freestyle imo - just turns, but we still learn basic pins. But this is a brutal pin, I like it. To help/try to convince the partner to put their head down on the mat/collapse, you can put your forehead into the back of their head, tri-pod up a little bit, it will increase the pressure and make them submit (inside; not tap).

I think partere (turtle) in general is very good in bjj, because of the number of techniques you can do from there.

I remember this pin from freestyle, we never usually used it because it is.. freestyle, people don't usually care much for pins in freestyle imo - just turns, but we still learn basic pins. But this is a brutal pin, I like it. To help/try to convince the partner to put their head down on the mat/collapse, you can put your forehead into the back of their head, tri-pod up a little bit, it will increase the pressure and make them submit (inside; not tap).

I think partere (turtle) in general is very good in bjj, because of the number of techniques you can do from there.

what do you think of it as a breakdown stopping guys from coming up to feat

It's a crush on the ribs, or it can stack them hard on their neck depending where they go :)

Hm. My school seems to frown on a lot of wrestling-based moves in favor of arm bars or more traditional chokes that don't cause pain. For example, I know that using wrestling techniques like chin pressure on ribs is something that will make a rolling partner angry at me. I also tend never to want to stack people on their necks because it feeIs risky and I don't trust people to handle it well. Is there injury risk with this one? Is this just etiquette at my gym or what?

what do you think of it as a breakdown stopping guys from coming up to feat
It works quite well if you can maintain the chest pressure onto their lower back. I prefer wrist control all day though, and cradles can work too, to stop opponents getting up. Just watch folkstyle. Folkstyle guys have really perfected the way in keeping opponents down.

It works quite well if you can maintain the chest pressure onto their lower back. I prefer wrist control all day though, and cradles can work too, to stop opponents getting up. Just watch folkstyle. Folkstyle guys have really perfected the way in keeping opponents down.

yeha i do i have a few ways but i always wana look to see if can find more or better ways of doing a technique your not allowed to lock your hands in folkstyle so you have to try to figure certain things for yourself

yeha i do i have a few ways but i always wana look to see if can find more or better ways of doing a technique your not allowed to lock your hands in folkstyle so you have to try to figure certain things for yourself
You seem to be overrating the locking hands rule... like massively overrating it. and not having to lock your hands is beneficial in several ways... you act like the fact you can lock your hands changes the principles of riding. I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick.. I just don't understand how whether or not locking your hands keeps you from applying pressure, putting weight on their hands etc. Additionally if you are desperately clinging to them with your hands locked.. you aren't going to be able to striking or set things up..

the folkstyle no locking hands rule actually is beneficial for mma..

You seem to be overrating the locking hands rule... like massively overrating it. and not having to lock your hands is beneficial in several ways... you act like the fact you can lock your hands changes the principles of riding. I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick.. I just don't understand how whether or not locking your hands keeps you from applying pressure, putting weight on their hands etc. Additionally if you are desperately clinging to them with your hands locked.. you aren't going to be able to striking or set things up..

Quick question) In folkstyle you are not allowed to lock hands and do things like gut wrenches, for example. Does this also apply when going for pins? like cradles, head locks etc?

Quick question) In folkstyle you are not allowed to lock hands and do things like gut wrenches, for example. Does this also apply when going for pins? like cradles, head locks etc?
You can’t lock around the waist, legs, bodyif 3 points of contact (feet, knees, hands) are on the ground. Seatbelt grip, cradles, headlocks or if they are on their back you can lock if they’re still down

im not saying u cant put pressure while locking hands i like to s grip my hands if they get there posture to high and are about to get up wrench them back down khabib does it alot go to 27 seconds into the vid this is what i do when guy tries to build up his base

im not saying u cant put pressure while locking hands i like to s grip my hands if they get there posture to high and are about to get up wrench them back down khabib does it alot go to 27 seconds into the vid this is what i do when guy tries to build up his base

It’s literally a spiral with your hands locks

As someone who didn't grow up wrestling I'm continually surprised by how much you can steal for BJJ and how much is yet to fully cross over and be assimilated by the majority BJJ community :)

- Thank you, Ts. Now i know 1,005 submissions!

19980330_jericho--9f677da84e04b43348d09e86bb11f1b0.jpg

Back