Usyk vs Gassiev postponed - Usyk suffers elbow injury

Man that blows. That was one of the best fights scheduled this year.

Really looking forward to this fight.

I hope future WBSS events get some kind of TV deal in the states or a streaming service picks it up

I blame Clenelo for this.

Bollocks.

You don't insert another finalist, you postpone the event, so, so obviously.
This isn't a one night circus tourney, and it's not a sit-com. Fighters get hurt sometimes, that's just the nature of the sport.

FFS, the WBSS title, or Ali Trophy doesn't mean shit if the process isn't genuine. I swear to Christ, I could think of 5 Sherdoggers that would make better decisions then these guys sometimes.

Bad bad news. Biggest fight of the year for me.

Like I've said before, you can't do tourneys in boxing. They just don't work.

It's only 'postponed'. So we have to wait a little longer for the fight but switching out a finalist like they are looking to do with Groves rather than just give him another month to heal up seems ridiculous.

I think Gassiev can take the whole tournament. Paces himself well, and stays dangerous all 12 rounds. Usyk might have more volume, but I don't think he can pour it on Gassiev like he has other opponents. Gassiev will be the winner.

They're really trying to get this moved out of Saudi Arabia

It's only 'postponed'. So we have to wait a little longer for the fight but switching out a finalist like they are looking to do with Groves rather than just give him another month to heal up seems ridiculous.

Groves injury isn't that simple. Shoulders are a bitch. I would take a year off if I was in George's place and I know George will be back sooner because he is a warrior but still...

Aren't there supposed to be a replacement fighter in case of an injury ?
Anyway i prefer postponing the fight since Gassiev vs Usyk should be awesome.

Groves injury isn't that simple. Shoulders are a bitch. I would take a year off if I was in George's place and I know George will be back sooner because he is a warrior but still...
But Groves has asked for just one month delay, they should take him at face value and grant his request. If he's not in great shape for the fight then that's on him.

Like I've said before, you can't do tourneys in boxing. They just don't work.

Its fine.

People just have to be grown up about any postponements and not panic.

Think if it this way, what difference is this to the Joshua vs Parker fight?
If one of them got injured it would be same scenario, reschedule.

Also this is the final so its a one off, just put it on at a later date.

Its fine.

People just have to be grown up about any postponements and not panic.

Think if it this way, what difference is this to the Joshua vs Parker fight?
If one of them got injured it would be same scenario, reschedule.

Also this is the final so its a one off, just put it on at a later date.
Nah, I've watched tourney after tourney fail in boxing. Participants always drop out, get injured etc. Every time.

Back