Utilitarian dining

bacon

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm not a very good cook, but I'm miles ahead of where I was this time last year. I'm not a slave to taste. I'll eat pretty much anything that doesn't make me gag as long as it makes the hunger go away. The idea behind this log is pass on my small amount of cooking knowledge and get some feedback from those of you who paid attention in Home Economics. I cook fairly healthy meals and I normally cook in bulk and use the leftovers for lunches.

Last night's food: Grilled chicken breasts, black beans, jasmine rice.
Last night's beer: Le Fin Du Monde (The end of the World)

findumonde_640x480.jpg

Last night's film: Ace in the Hole. A Billy Wilder film starring Kirk Douglas

3551418459_ba958d8852.jpg

I stopped at BevMo (Beverages and More) on the way home. I went in looking for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout but came out with a 4 pack of La Fin Du Monde. ADD... a disease like any other. La Fin Du Monde is a Canadian triple fermented golden ale. I popped the top on the first one as soon as I got home and frowned immediately at the smell. I generally stay away from yellow or orange beers because I rarely enjoy them The word that came to mind upon tasting it was "fruity".

I buy meat in bulk at Sam's Club and freeze it for later use. If you aren't buying your meat wholesale, you're probably wasting money. I thawed 4 large chicken breasts the night before. Grilling a thick piece of meat is a talent I do not yet possess so I cut the breasts into thinner fillets (like butterflying but going all the way). I trimmed off some of the thicker spots to ensure the fillets would cook evenly. I always trim more than I need to because my dog gets the raw trimmings. As far as seasoning goes, I usually stick to salt, pepper and garlic, but I have a variety of steak and poultry rubs. I used a poultry rub called "Sazon" on these chicken titties and place them in a zip lock bag partially filled with lime juice. I should have done this the night before, but I'm a doer, not a planner. I set the chicken aside to prep the rice and beans. I REALLY suck at multitasking in the kitchen and as a result, my dinners usually involve a cold hunk of meat with piping hot sides because I cooked the meat first and the sides as an afterthought. The fact that I bothered to set up my sides this time proves that you can teach a drunk dog new tricks.

I finished the first beer and poured the second one in a glass hoping it might make it taste better. Nope. It's kind of like chewing an over rippened orange peal.

I added salt, pepper and garlic to the rice but didn't turn on the burner. The beans were canned so I dumped them in a pot, added salt, pepper and garlic and a little bit of hotsauce. No fire yet.

I finished the second beer and when I bent down to grab the third my head spun ever so slightly. "That's odd." I thought to myself. For such a fruity beer, La Fin Du Monde packs a punch. It's like a hockey player in a pink dress.

Ballet-Hockey-----9739.jpg

I assumed the light headedness was the result of drinking on an empty stomach. I opened number three as I set the timer for 1 hour. It's an arbitrary amount of time, but I wanted to let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least an hour before grilling.

Netflix is fucking great if onlly for the search engine and all the old movies it has. I'm a big fan of Billy Wilder because he writes some of the best dialogue I've ever heard on the big screen. Wilder was a big shot during the 40s and 50s which are often referred to as Hollywood's "Golden Age". Back when men were men and the chicks had pointy tits. Ace in the Hole came out in 1951. Douglas plays Chuck Tatum, a down on his luck reporter who once wrote front page stories for New York newspapers, but due to his abrasive qualities, he's been kicked out of every town worth living in and fired from every job worth having. The film opens with Chuck marching into a small time New Mexico newspaper and demanding a job. He's open about his intentions... Just one big story and New York will beg him to come back...

Don't let the press pass fool you, Chuck Tatum is hard as a honeymoon dick. He bullies deputies for fun, lays a sherriff on his ass and knows all the angles. Chuck finds the big story he's looking for but loses his humanity in doing so. He tries to put things right near the end but... You'll have to rent it to find out. For anyone looking for good old movies, I'd start with Double Indemnity. It's the flick that made me a Billy Wilder fan. Ace in the Hole was a bit of a flip when it came out. I liked it but most of you would probably hate it.

The timer went off and as I stood up to turn it off, my legs said "fuck me" and I caught myself stumbling to the kitchen. "Sonofbitch." I looked at my third empty beer and tried to focus on the label. "9% alc by vol". Ahhhhhhh, now it makes sense. That fruity orange peel taste does a hell of a job masking the high alcohol content. Now the whole "End of the World" moniker makes sense. This beer is like an angry moose in capri pants and high heels. As funny as it looks, it'll fuck you up in a hurry.

456610800_233a887b29.jpg

I preheated my grill with all three burners on high. While the grill was heating up, I started the rice. When the grill was ready I put the chicken on and closed the lid. I prefer to blast thin meats on high rather than cook them slowly, and I try to only flip them once. I've cooked chicken so many different ways but there are only two ways that seem to work everytime; grilling and roasting. I'm convinced that roasting (as in roasting a whole chicken) is the ONLY way to make a breast taste good, but grilling a breast isn't too bad as long as it's thin. For grilling I prefer thighs. Chicken breasts are so naturally devoid of flavor that I have a hard time getting excited about them anymore.

After I flipped the chicken, I started the beans and cracked the fourth La Fin Du Monde. By this time I was feeling no pain. Canadians are sneaky.

For the first time in recent memory, all the food was ready at the same time. Too bad my wife was out of town and there was no one here to see it but my dog. Such accomplishments are lost on him.

The chicken was good, but it could have been better. I should have used thigh meat and I should have marinated them overnight. The rice was good. I normally add a little chicken stock to it but I was out. The beans needed more salt and hot sauce. The beer had me seeing double and Kirk Douglas is the man.

FIN

This saturday I'm going to try a French dish called Coq Au Vin which means the "Whole Cock" or "Complete Rooster" if you prefer. Any and all comments and critisms welcome.

Can I apply for the job of online advisor?

Coq Au Vin is delicious, but only if you done right. The “Vin” means wine, not “whole”, which I’ll assume you were kidding about. Red wine is sort of the essence of the dish (I mean it’s in the title, right?), so I wouldn’t go substitiuting bourbon or some other spirit…

...not that you would ever think of doing such a thing.

I was planning on using bourbon instead of the cognac/brandy used for the flambay (<-- fuck that word. I'm not looking it up either) part of the recipe. So the name of the dish is actually "Wine Cock"? That's even better.

I see. And yes, "Wine Cock", not "Whiskey Dick", though I suppose you can do the flambe with bourbon.

You're hired as my advisor but you have to wear heels and you must never look me in the eye.

Agreed.

Someone who knows stuff about food and cooking and whatnot should invent a Whiskey Dick recipe. I'm too scared to google it.

For the first time in recent memory, all the food was ready at the same time. Too bad my wife was out of town and there was no one here to see it but my dog. Such accomplishments are lost on him.

Holy crap, you almost made hard boiled egg come out of my nose, that is some funny shit. Great writing Bacon, cant wait to read your next!

La Fin Du Monde is a Canadian triple fermented golden ale. I generally stay away from yellow or orange beers because I rarely enjoy them The word that came to mind upon tasting it was "fruity".
It's like a hockey player in a pink dress.

Ballet-Hockey-----9739.jpg

Any and all comments and critisms welcome.

Don't mind if I do....

The meal that almost never was. I bought all the ingredients Saturday around noon.

24 to 30 pearl onions
4 chicken thighs and legs, or 1 (5 to 7-pound) stewing chicken, cut into serving pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
6 ounces salt pork, slab bacon, or lardon, cubed
8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 (750-ml) bottles red wine, preferably pinot noir
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium onion, quartered
2 stalks celery, quartered
2 medium carrots, quartered
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken stock or broth

At 12:30, I got a call from my best friend (Jay). He said he was in "Baby shower hell" and begged for a mercy killing. He and his wife are having their first child soon, but I have no idea how he let himself get involved with the baby shower. I threw my dog and an extra shirt in my truck and headed to Long Beach. As I pulled up to the house around 2:30pm, Jay bolted from the front door and screamed "OPEN THE WINDOW!!" I did and he dove through it before I could stop. "HIT IT!" I punched the gas and fishtailed down the street as a hoard of giggling women poured out onto the front lawn holding little shirts and overalls made by OSHKoshBegosh, or whatever.

playground+019.JPG

Jay wept as I headed for the nearest bar. I parked across the street from a sports bar and as we approached the entrance, i noticed a park full of people to my left.

Curiousity got the best of us and we found ourselves at a Steel Workers Union company bbq/chili cookoff. We walked right in and I asked the fat guy calling the bingo numbers where the beer was. "It's over by the free hotdogs and hamburgers, but make sure you get tickets for the beer. They don't take money." Tickets were a quarter each. Beer cost four tickets. You do the math.

Steel workers are friendlly people but more importantly, they aren't a suspicious lot and this worked in our favor. Jay and I each had 4 or 5 beers before the band started playing what was supposed to be "all along the watchtower" but sounded more like a three piece band falling down an escalator. We left and hit the sports bar to watch football.

We put in 8 hard hours at the bar. Here's what I ate:
Hamburger, well... most of it.

We ended up back at Jay's place. I faded to black on an ikea couch. Sunday morning I had two cups of coffee and a burrito the size of my shoe at a place called The Coffee Cup Cafe. The burrito had wild rice, black beans, chicken, avacado and salsa in it. The lady who served it to me liked cocaine, or at least I hope she did; nothing else would explain her behavior or ability to top off a coffee cup with such stealth and precision. I tipped her well. She thanked me from behind a cloud of ninja smoke and disappeared from my life forever.

lens4147522_1240161564kajutsu-ninja-smoke-bombs-homemade-making-pics.jpg

Long Beach is a strange place, but those people know some shit about breakfast.

I didn't get home until 5pm Sunday. I wasn't even hungry but I'm a man of my word and I said I'd make this meal so I did.

The Food: Coq au Vin (pronounced "cock oven") literally translated as "Cock to Wine". A guy I work with is a damn good cook and he recommended this recipe to me because he said "It will help you understand how flavors interact."

Beverage: Charles Shaw Cabernet. AKA "Two-buck Chuck" because each bottle is only $1.99. Available only at Trader Joes... I think. Before the wine snobs jump up my ass for using cheap wine, I'll remind you that I'm not a good cook and that I'm as likelly to randomly discover the cure for small pox as I am to cook a flawless meal. Therefore, i can't justify spending 30 bucks on wine just so I can burn away the alcohol.

The Film: French cuisine calls for a movie with style and class. Which is why I chose "Fast and Furious 3". Vin "This is my acting face" Diesel and Sara Michelle Gallar star in a street racing epic that combines fast cars with fast women and men who always look serious. EDIT: I just realized I mistook Paul Walker for Sara Michelle Gellar. Honest mistake.

vin-paul.jpg

Here's the recipe I sort of used: COQ AU VIN

NOTE: Always read the ENTIRE recipe before you start. I never do this and it always bites me in the ass. Exhibit A...

Prepping the pearl onions took awhile. For those that don't know, pearl unions are small and uh, pearl-like. Peeling 30 of them would suck, but luckily there was a tip in the recipe that worked perfectly.

Cut off the root end of each pearl onion and make an "x" with your knife in its place. Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to a boil and drop in the onions for 1 minute. Remove the onions from the pot, allow them to cool, and then peel. You should be able to slide the onions right out of their skin. Set aside.

I don't know what "salt pork, slab bacon or lardon" is, so I just used regular old thick cut bacon. The rest of the ingredients were fairly easy, until I got to "6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme". I just figured out what thyme is and that it's pronounced "Time", not "Thime", but I still have no idea what a sprig is. The old lady at the deli counter thought she knew but she was unable to locate them. The produce guy told me to use "thyme flakes". He spoke with an accent and walked with a limp so I figured I could trust him or at least catch him and kick his ass if I found out he was lying. I don't have a sprig-to-flake conversion chart so I just guessed and added about half the bag.

I'm not jewish so I really have no concept of the word "Kosher". I always assumed it meant "clean" but I've never seen dirty salt so I figured it was some bullshit conspiracy. I used sea salt.

Everything was running smoothly until I got to this:
Transfer the chicken into a 7 to 8-quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven

As noted in Fatty's food log, I thought a dutch oven was a form of torture reserved for loved ones. I don't have internet access at home so I couldn't look it up. I made a pimp dicision and decided to use my saute pan which I had used for the bacon and everything else so far. It's only about 3 inches deep which was a problem seeing as I had a shit load of ingredients to cram in it, but it worked okay. Made a huge mess on the stove but that's par for the course when I cook... I was a messy baby.

I stuffed all the food into the pan, topped it off with the two-dollar wine, set it to simmer and sat down to watch Fast and Furious 3 with the wine I had left over. I bought two bottles but could only fit about 3/4 of the first bottle in the pan.

Effect-heavy movies usually leave me yawning. How much bigger can you make the explosions? How fast can a honda really be? Who was the first stunt coordinator to say, "When we shoot the front tire, the car is going to flip forward" and why didn't anyone stop him? Walker and Diesel, both graduates from the Serious Face School of Acting, are not master thespians, but I knew this going in. I half expected a decent action flick, but in this case, the sob story lines actually got in the way. I would have prefered pointless action scenes chained together than watching Vin Diesel try to look sad while avenging the death of.... whoever. Jordana Brewster didn't even get nekkid. The high point of the evening was that the movie only cost me a buck to rent (Redbox). Which isn't really a high point considering that $1 can buy me half a bottle of wine.

fot_buk03.jpg

The wine was good, but I have a horrible pallet for wines. I can't tell the difference between one bottle and the next and I'd be surprised if I could differentiate between cabernet and shiraz or pinot and merlot. I just don't have the tongue for it. I've liked pretty much every red wine I've ever tried with the exception of port which I cannot stomach. Sweet wines make me sick. I find it interesting that some Charles Shaw wines have won awards in blind tastings. At $2 a bottle, you'd think it would be bottom of the heap...

At the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition, Shaw's 2002 Shiraz received the double gold medal, besting the roughly 2,300 other wines in the competition.[3]

Shaw's 2005 California chardonnay was judged Best Chardonnay from California at the Commercial Wine Competition of the 2007 California Exposition and State Fair. The chardonnay received 98 points, a double gold, with accolades of Best of California and Best of Class.

At around 11pm the chicken was done, the movie was over and the wine was gone. I placed the chicken in a covered pot, strained the carrots, onion, etc... from the sauce and put the sauce back in the pan to reduce it. When you reduce things, they get thicker. I've never made a sauce worth a damn until last night. It took about 45 minutes to get to the desired thickness and it was tasty. I added the pearl onions, bacon and mushrooms and cooked for an additional 15 minutes.

At midnight, I pigged the fuck out.

monty20pythons20mr_creosote_web.jpg

I haven't had meat that tender since HS. It literally jumped off the bone at me. The sauce was brilliant. The pearl onions were better than I thought they would be and the bacon was awesome, just like bacon tends to be. I've got a large portion of the "Coq au Vin" waiting for me when I get home and I brought a large portion for lunch today. I pissed in the face of the recipe and it still turned out to be the best chicken I've ever made and the first sauce I've ever made that didn't taste like used motor oil.

The idea of cooking something so complicated in a log titled "Utilitarian Dining" seems ridiculous, but so does putting ketchup on popcorn.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

The high point of the evening was that the movie only cost me a buck to rent (Redbox). Which isn't really a high point considering that $1 can buy me half a bottle of wine.[/IMG]

Or a full beer at a steel worker's throwdown.

Nice account. I enjoyed every word.

Or a full beer at a steel worker's throwdown.

Nice account. I enjoyed every word.

Would I get kicked out of France for using thyme flakes in lieu of sprigs? Do I need a dutch oven or can I just get a pot? Is kosher salt important for heathans?

As good as it was last night, it's even better today. The sauce got even thicker and it tastes fanfuckingtastic.

Would I get kicked out of France for using thyme flakes in lieu of sprigs?

Possibly, but hey, you use what you can. Next year, I want you to build a cedar box with some drainage holes drilled in the bottom. In the spring, go to your farmer

Jill talked about an herb garden when we move. Sounds good to me.

sweet basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, tarragon. Optional: mint, thai basil, purple opal basil, spicy globe basil, marjoram, dill.

I've heard of a few of those...

I think I'll stick with sea salt or regular salt. The idea of biting a salt rock sounds awful. I hate our pots and pans. Up until this year every cooking surface we owned was teflon coated. I love my sauce pan with the thick metal base. It'll have to wait until we move but I've been meaning to upgrade the cookware.

+1 for the "Dutch Oven" term. Truth be told, I gave myself one last night.

I have a mess o' chicken breast simmering in the iron skillet atm. I didn't have a formal recipe to follow, and I didn't have most of the ingredients, so I threw the breasts in some olive, added some spices that were laying around, then threw in a can of tomato paste for good measure.

It ain't pretty, but it'll serve as lunch tomorrow.

photo.jpg

I have a mess o' chicken breast simmering in the iron skillet atm. I didn't have a formal recipe to follow, and I didn't have most of the ingredients, so I threw the breasts in some olive, added some spices that were laying around, then threw in a can of tomato paste for good measure.

It ain't pretty, but it'll serve as lunch tomorrow.

Whose log is this?

Breakfast 6am:
Two eggs scrambled and sprinkled with swiss cheese
2 pieces whole grain/flax toast
3 fish caps
Large glass of water

I normally have some kind of fruit with breakfast, but the wife has been out of town for a week and a half. The cabinets are empty, I'm out of clean dishes and I had to stop wearing socks and underwear on sunday. Anyone know how to work a washing machine? Where the fuck do you put the soap?

Snack 9am:
Apple
Green Tea

Lunch 11:30am
Turkey and Swiss sammich with spinach and honey mustard on whole grain/flax bread
Large glass of water
Second cup of Green Tea.

Snack 1:45pm
Handful of almonds
Large glass of water

Dinner 5pm
Had another sammich like the one above

I made some home made protein bars with pumpkin spice granola to celebrate October.
Recipe:
1 cup milk
3 cups OATS
4 tbsp Natural PB
5 scoops protein powder (I use chocolate)
1/2 cup chopped nuts OR granola OR anything else you might want to add.

Put in a large bowl and mix with your hands. It's messy. Place goo on a was paper covered cookie sheet and form into a rectangle. Put it in the fridge overnight. Cut into bars in the morning. These will keep for about a week and a half if you keep them refrigerated.

I also prepped for the burritos I'll be making tonight. Marinated 8 chicken thighs overnight. Tonight I'll grill them, chop them and mix them with black beans, onion, tomato, cilantro and shredded cheese.

the burritos should last me the rest of the week and all weekend.

Snack 10pm
Homemade egg and cheese muffin

Picked the wife up from the train station at midnight.

Snack 1:30am
Pussy with a side of ankle ear muffs.
Large glass of water

:he wife and I take turns making breakfast in the morning so one of us gets breakfasst in bed every morning. It was her turn so i woke up to this...

Breakfast 6am
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Whole grain english muffin with apple butter
Apple
Green Tea

Snack 9:30am
Home made pumpkin spice and chocolate protein bar. Delicious
Large glass of water

Lunch 11:30am
Turkey and Swiss sammich with spinach and honey mustard on whole grain/flax bread
Large glass of water
Second cup of Green Tea.

Back