Vale tudo NHB bare-knuckle fights Thread

I remember a RIO fight between a man and Woman and the man gave up I think it was good shit

Ediane Gomes. She went on to fight Ronda in KOTC. LOL at the guy claiming he didnt tap at the end.

Bonus footage of WValetudo:

not bare knuckles but definitely the NHB days this is a classic

here's some NHB from japan (the big guy is soichi nishida and he fought enson inoue in pride):

more fights from that event are on that youtube channel too.

the IVC events were great.

bring back Rio Heroes

I have 100s of hours of Vale Tudo, the problem is that ~ 98% of them are on VHS back from the tape trading days (which is actually also a problem for me because some of them are starting to demagnetize after 20 years of sub optimal storage conditions, and a lot of them, esp. the rarer ones, werent all that high quality to begin with). Most of that stuff isnt online afaik.

Anyway here is Rei Zulu losing to He-Man by decision:

and here is private footage of a BJJ vs Luta Livre match with some historical commentary from Santos himself:

Not the best vale tudo fights, but pretty rare.

Im pretty sure Rei Zulu took a dive on this one...

What are your favorite Vale tudo nhb bare-knuckle fights?

If you can please post a video.
Ps I am looking for chuck liddell vs Jose Landi-Jons at IVC 6 any one have it?

U can consider WVC and IVC true Vale Tudo events.

Im pretty sure Rei Zulu took a dive on this one...

Oh of course. Here is He-Man playing out the same fight ending "ring out" sequence with another intimidating looking black guy that's not Zulu:

Zulu has been available for dives since he started fighting.

The reason that many old Vale Tudo fights arent on sherdog or tapology is that it's too hard to tell which fights were works and which were legit. Back in the day many fighters now regarded as legit mma legends did predominantly faked fights; Zulu is one of them, another great example is Euclides Hatem; check out these super legit MMA moves he used in his "fights":

latest

7243b5d0d71780032d9ff3ac39f5309a.jpg

tatu002.jpg

images

If you have access to the PVT magazine, check out issue #71, there's a special on Hatem with some pictures of him performing fake wrestling with Antonio Inoki.

Of course he and the others of his generation (Waldemar Santana etc.) had actual, legit skills too but back then a fighter's main source of income was performing in fake fights (and in guys like Zulu's case who were never that good, still is).

Oh of course. Here is He-Man playing out the same fight ending "ring out" sequence with another intimidating looking black guy that's not Zulu:

Zulu has been available for dives since he started fighting.

The reason that many old Vale Tudo fights arent on sherdog or tapology is that it's too hard to tell which fights were works and which were legit. Back in the day many fighters now regarded as legit mma legends did predominantly faked fights; Zulu is one of them, another great example is Euclides Hatem; check out these super legit MMA moves he used in his "fights":

latest

7243b5d0d71780032d9ff3ac39f5309a.jpg

tatu002.jpg

images

If you have access to the PVT magazine, check out issue #71, there's a special on Hatem with some pictures of him performing fake wrestling with Antonio Inoki.

Of course he and the others of his generation (Waldemar Santana etc.) had actual, legit skills too but back then a fighter's main source of income was performing in fake fights (and in guys like Zulu's case who were never that good, still is).

It´s not that Zulu was available for dives. People have to remember that back in the days,
Vale Tudo crowds were really hardcore and always ready-to-riot.

Hence, Zulu, who is from country-side, and who is technically an "outsider" in his own country,
as a black man, reminiscent of the deep African roots in Brazil, was always about to get screwed
in any potential fights. Crowds were paying to see the whiter dude smash the Black Giant.

The Rickson vs Rei Zulu fights were suspicious too, simply coz Zulu had
to fight in the Gracies´backyard, against a "Gracie" crowd and referee.

Another thing: The reason that many old Vale Tudo fights arent on sherdog or tapology, is not, imo,
based on the fact that "that it's too hard to tell which fights were works and which were legit".

It´s based on the fact that it requires a lot of research to verify the location/rules/date etc... of each fight.

Remember, Rei Zulu and Ol´School fighters like Ivan Gomes or Euclydes Pereira had each more than 350 Vale Tudo fights.
They were truly professionals. We´re not talkin´about 30 fights records...

Finally, I wouldnt say that Rei Zulu wasnt "that good", since a legend like Euclydes Pereira took
pride in sayin´that he beat him a lil b4 RIckon did it, and that this was one of his HL.

Last edited:
Finally, I wouldnt say that Rei Zulu wasnt "that good", since a legend like Euclydes Pereira took
pride in sayin´that he beat him a lil b4 RIckon did it, and that that was one of his HL.

Zulu has been putting on blatantly fake fights forever; check out this farce:

Or this grotesque imitation of a fight (I especially like the "takedown" at 3:39 and the fact that both guys do a good job at avoiding hits to the opponent's head during the entire thing):

In no way, shape or form has Zulu ever shown impressive skills in an actual fight; and I've seen at least 15 of his "performances" over the years.

The black skin thing is just a tragically romantic story built around Zulu and certainly didnt stop legit dark skinned Brazilians like Waldemar Santana from regularly fucking up fan favorites in real fights, including plenty of white ones.

Concerning Pereira I have, to put it mildly, serious doubts about the legitimacy of someone who claims to have never been defeated in >300 - real - fights (a record that is disputed by Ivan Gomes himself, who claims a victory over Pereira in a 1h55min fight in 1968...). It is proven (and uncontested) that he beat Carlson in a legitimate Vale Tudo fight though.

Kimura himself was a travelling "professional wrestler" in Europe and America who stated in an interview that he was extremely surprised that a can like Helio Gracie wanted to fight him for real, he had been under the impression that the fight was going to be fake.

So yeah, all I can say is that undeniable photographic, video and first hand verbal accounts testify to a lot of fake fighting going on back in the day, mixed in with actual athletic competitions.

Edit: Ivan Gomes was also involved in a lot of "pro wrestling" fights that didnt even pretend to be anything but pro wrestling. This site lists his "professional" wrestling performances for Antonio Inoki's prganization:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=80140&page=3

https://www.cagematch.net//?id=2&nr=4756&page=4

Last edited:
Zulu has been putting on blatantly fake fights forever; check out this farce:

Or this grotesque imitation of a fight (I especially like the "takedown" at 3:39 and the fact that both guys do a good job at avoiding hits to the opponent's head during the entire thing):

In no way, shape or form has Zulu ever shown impressive skills in an actual fight; and I've seen at least 15 of his "performances" over the years.

The black skin thing is just a tragically romantic story built around Zulu and certainly didnt stop legit dark skinned Brazilians like Waldemar Santana from regularly fucking up fan favorites in real fights, including plenty of white ones.

Concerning Pereira I have, to put it mildly, serious doubts about the legitimacy of someone who claims to have never been defeated in >300 - real - fights (a record that is disputed by Ivan Gomes himself, who claims a victory over Pereira in a 1h55min fight in 1968...). It is proven (and uncontested) that he beat Carlson in a legitimate Vale Tudo fight though.

Kimura himself was a travelling "professional wrestler" in Europe and America who stated in an interview that he was extremely surprised that a can like Helio Gracie wanted to fight him for real, he had been under the impression that the fight was going to be fake.

So yeah, all I can say is that undeniable photographic, video and first hand verbal accounts testify to a lot of fake fighting going on back in the day, mixed in with actual athletic competitions.

Edit: Ivan Gomes was also involved in a lot of "pro wrestling" fights that didnt even pretend to be anything but pro wrestling. This site lists his "professional" wrestling performances for Antonio Inoki's prganization:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=80140&page=3

https://www.cagematch.net//?id=2&nr=4756&page=4

Hey... u know... Zulu was technically past-his-physical-prime by the time he fought Rickson in 1980... so quoting this
2000 fight against Dourado (or the one vs Prof.) doesnt make sense.
Rei Zulu was born in 1947, perhaps even earlier.

U claim u´ve formed ur opinion after watchin 15 of his fights?

U know... ol´school dudes like him would fight several times per months.
So u actually saw nuthin.

Waldemar Santana was actually a different case, he was technically an adopted Gracie (probably a bastard), lived in the Big city,
had A LEGIT MANAGER (and that´s the main difference btw someone like him and a countryside dude like Zulu).

Remember: the Gracies accused Waldemar´s manager to be the reason of the feud btw the 2 sides.

Concerning Pereira, Ivan had a victory over him, but remember 2 things:

Pereira was much lighter than him, and back in the days, Vale Tudo fights could only end via KO or sub, that´s why these fighters
had many draws and not losses via judges.

Moreover, he did beat Carlson, but that was not "uncontested" as u said since
Carlson himself always contested it, since, for this special fight, there was a decision via judges, and Carlson contested it.

The Kimura vs Helio fight was under limited rules,so...

Last edited:
Back