Vale tudo NHB bare-knuckle fights Thread

Hey... u know... Zulu was technically past-his-physical-prime by the time he fought Rickson in 1980... so quoting this
2000 fight against Dourado (or the one vs Prof.) doesnt make sense.
Rei Zulu was born in 1947, perhaps even earlier.

U claim u´ve formed ur opinion after watchin 15 of his fights?

U know... ol´school dudes like him would fight several times per months.
So u actually saw nuthin.

Waldemar Santana was actually a different case, he was technically an adopted Gracie (probably a bastard), lived in the Big city,
had A LEGIT MANAGER (and that´s the main difference btw someone like him and a countryside dude like Zulu).

Remember: the Gracies accused Waldemar´s manager to be the reason of the feud btw the 2 sides.

Concerning Pereira, Ivan had a victory over him, but remember 2 things:

Pereira was much lighter than him, and back in the days, Vale Tudo fights could only end via KO or sub, that´s why these fighters
had many draws and not losses via judges.

Moreover, he did beat Carlson, but that was not "uncontested" as u said since
Carlson himself always contested it, since, for this special fight, there was a decision via judges, and Carlson contested it.

The Kimura vs Helio fight was under limited rules,so...

The Zulu fights I posted prove just what I set out to prove: That he was involved in fake fights. The two performances I linked to are obviously, unambiguously and uncontestably fake fights. And pretty poorly faked, too. Being out of your prime causes you to be slower, weaker, and gas easier. It does not cause you to forget how to punch, fake takedown attempts, be unable to walk in a straight line, or pretend to be knocked unconscious after making yourself tumble through the ropes of a ring - which is exactly what the videos I linked to show.
Being out of your prime also does not cause you to hold an ice pack to the wrong part of your head while being filmed by a cameraman inside an ambulance on the way to a hospital.
And Zulu's "opponents" who are obviously fit young men in the rosy primes of their lives, also go to great lengths not to hit him in the head, just as he does too.

My entire argument is: Vale Tudo legends were extensively involved in fake fights; as examples I have cited:

1. Euclides Hatem: Proven by posting pictures of him engaging in fake wrestling matches and performing fake wrestling moves on compliant partners.
2. Ivan Gomes: Proven by his participation in Pro Wrestling fights for the Pro Wrestling Organization called "New Japan Pro Wrestling" in 1975
3. Masahiko Kimura: Proven by him founding a Pro Wrestling Organization called IWPF (International Pro Wrestling Force) and forming a pro wrestling "tag team" with Rikidozan, the "father of Japanese Pro Wrestling". Further proven by him being on record in a written interview explaining that he originally expected the Helio Gracie fight to be fake.
4. Zulu: Proven by showing his fake fights on video.

The Zulu fights I posted prove just what I set out to prove: That he was involved in fake fights. The two performances I linked to are obviously, unambiguously and uncontestably fake fights. And pretty poorly faked, too. Being out of your prime causes you to be slower, weaker, and gas easier. It does not cause you to forget how to punch, fake takedown attempts, be unable to walk in a straight line, or pretend to be knocked unconscious after making yourself tumble through the ropes of a ring - which is exactly what the videos I linked to show.
Being out of your prime also does not cause you to hold an ice pack to the wrong part of your head while being filmed by a cameraman inside an ambulance on the way to a hospital.
And Zulu's "opponents" who are obviously fit young men in the rosy primes of their lives, also go to great lengths not to hit him in the head, just as he does too.

My entire argument is: Vale Tudo legends were extensively involved in fake fights; as examples I have cited:

1. Euclides Hatem: Proven by posting pictures of him engaging in fake wrestling matches and performing fake wrestling moves on compliant partners.
2. Ivan Gomes: Proven by his participation in Pro Wrestling fights for the Pro Wrestling Organization called "New Japan Pro Wrestling" in 1975
3. Masahiko Kimura: Proven by him founding a Pro Wrestling Organization called IWPF (International Pro Wrestling Force) and forming a pro wrestling "tag team" with Rikidozan, the "father of Japanese Pro Wrestling". Further proven by him being on record in a written interview explaining that he originally expected the Helio Gracie fight to be fake.
4. Zulu: Proven by showing his fake fights on video.

Yeahh...I mean.. U jus´ proved that water is wet...

All the Ol´School fighters, all the ol´school boxers, like it or not, were somehow forced to accept faked fights.

Im actually the one who pointed it out to u about the He-Man vs Zulu fight.

Even among the Gracies, that was a serious issue since that was one of the reason George split from the rest of the family: they claimed he accepted faked fights.

The videos u have about Rei Zulu, I feel sorry to tell it to u, are not relevant, since he was born, at the very least, in 1947.

This means that he was min. 33 yrs old when he 1st fought Rickson.

For instance, when he fought Dourado, he was 53 yrs old min.

It´s like judging Ken´s career only after he signed with Bellator.

Zulu´s boxing was weak? Big News... Severn´s was no better.

I suggest u go and watch the 2nd Rickson fight, where, even out-of-his-prime against a prime [physically] Rickson, he did some interesting things (suspicious fight too, imo.)

Finally, the fact that Ivan Gomes, Euclides Hatem or Rei Zulu participated in those faked fights only means one thing: they were forced to it, since, unlike the Gracies who indeed were big enough and had political contacts, could organize their own fights and decide everything. Those dudes had no real legit managers.

Last edited:
Yeahh...I mean.. U jus´ proved that water is wet...

I would certainly hope so. But seeing you post stuff like this

Remember, Rei Zulu and Ol´School fighters like Ivan Gomes or Euclydes Pereira had each more than 350 Vale Tudo fights.
They were truly professionals. We´re not talkin´about 30 fights records...

makes me believe that you're not aware of the actual situation back then. I understand where you're coming from, you have no active experience with combat sports, do not personally associate with anyone who does, or hang out with people who train etc. Most certainly not with people from the era in question. So, being interested in the historical aspects of the sport, you got your Vale Tudo knowledge from the following sources:

- Wikipedia.
- BJJHeroes.
-Old UG forum posts.
- You watched the 9 part interview with Pereira that's on youtube.
- Other Youtube interviews with oldschool dudes.

All of this is fine; you have to, however, exercise critical thinking in the evaluation of what is presented to you; instead you are falling for their romanticized fables hook line and sinker.

300+ fight records with 296 wins, 1 loss and 3 draws are fake.
2-4h+ Vale Tudo fights that were called a draw because the sun set are fake.

Just look at the old legends: In their 70s and 80s, they show no signs of CTE. No scars, no cut eyebrows. Hell, some of them look like they never as much as broke their nose.

Remember that this whole discussion sprung from your contention that

The reason that many old Vale Tudo fights arent on sherdog or tapology, is not, imo,
based on the fact that "that it's too hard to tell which fights were works and which were legit".
It´s based on the fact that it requires a lot of research to verify the location/rules/date etc... of each fight.

They can be verified just fine, as I have been doing in this thread. The point is that they are verifiably fake to an overwhelming degree.

Finally, the fact that Ivan Gomes, Euclides Hatem or Rei Zulu participated in those faked fights only means one thing: they were forced to it

Nobody forced them to do anything. Like combat sports athletes all over the world in the beginning of the 20th century, they realized that fake fights with scripted endings were more profitable and significantly more condusive to a long and healthy career than beating the shit out of each other for real and being payed peanuts.

This is a typical fight card from the supposed "golden age" of Brazilian "Vale Tudo":

Ivan.jpg

the main event is Pro Wrestler Ivan Gomes fighting against the Dutch Pro Wrestling veteran Willem Ruska (more than 150 pro wrestling "fights"). On the undercard we have Pro Wrestler Antonio Inoki, owner of New Japan Pro Wrestling, vs a Pro Wrestler from New Zealand, Abe Jacobs. Ricky Hunter is a Pro Wrestler that actually performed in the famous American WWF. Etc.etc...
This is what "vale tudo" cards were like in the "vale tudo mecca" Maracanazinho.

The "vale tudo" TV show "Herois do Ringue" was a pro wrestling show. You know what happened when a performer accidentally got his arm legitimately broken by an armbar? The show got pulled off the network for being too violent...

All these guys were primarily pro wrestlers, some of whom occasionally fought for real. A lot of them had legitimate, high level skills (Ruska for example was a 2 time Olympic gold medalist in Judo before he started his fake fighting career) and went on to become excellent trainers for the next generation of fighters. No less, no more.

So u actually saw nuthin.

Like I said, I think it's cool that the younger generation is interested in the history of our sport. But your "knowledge" relies exclusively on the second and third hand sources I listed above, as well as on biased accounts of people with an agenda. I know it's tempting to believe that dudes back then were Herculean monsters that fought under full vale tudo rules fights, sometimes lasting for hours, several times per month, over a span of several decades, and are now physically and mentally perfectly intact senior citizens. But the human body doesnt work like that, and this uncritical and undue adulation is actually indirectly disrespectful towards the actual pioneers and legends of our sport.

P.S.: Just as a final comment on our bizarre side conversation about Zulu's fighting prowess, and whether or not being "out of prime" allows for an accurate evaluation;
I have to reiterate that being out of your prime doesnt make you forget how to fight. This is what fighters outside of their prime look like:

You get slower, weaker, gas faster, injuries last longer. You are not magically unable to access technical skills you learned when younger. If you suck on a technical level when you're old, it's because you sucked when you were young. Zulu cant punch, grapple or shoot a takedown at a high level now because he never could.

He was a pro wrestler with very rudimentary grappling training playing the role of Evil Black Dude. That's it.

Last edited:
I would certainly hope so. But seeing you post stuff like this

makes me believe that you're not aware of the actual situation back then. I understand where you're coming from, you have no active experience with combat sports, do not personally associate with anyone who does, or hang out with people who train etc. Most certainly not with people from the era in question. So, being interested in the historical aspects of the sport, you got your Vale Tudo knowledge from the following sources:

- Wikipedia.
- BJJHeroes.
-Old UG forum posts.
- You watched the 9 part interview with Pereira that's on youtube.
- Other Youtube interviews with oldschool dudes.

All of this is fine; you have to, however, exercise critical thinking in the evaluation of what is presented to you; instead you are falling for their romanticized fables hook line and sinker.

300+ fight records with 296 wins, 1 loss and 3 draws are fake.
2-4h+ Vale Tudo fights that were called a draw because the sun set are fake.

Just look at the old legends: In their 70s and 80s, they show no signs of CTE. No scars, no cut eyebrows. Hell, some of them look like they never as much as broke their nose.

Remember that this whole discussion sprung from your contention that

They can be verified just fine, as I have been doing in this thread. The point is that they are verifiably fake to an overwhelming degree.

Nobody forced them to do anything. Like combat sports athletes all over the world in the beginning of the 20th century, they realized that fake fights with scripted endings were more profitable and significantly more condusive to a long and healthy career than beating the shit out of each other for real and being payed peanuts.

This is a typical fight card from the supposed "golden age" of Brazilian "Vale Tudo":

Ivan.jpg

the main event is Pro Wrestler Ivan Gomes fighting against the Dutch Pro Wrestling veteran Willem Ruska (more than 150 pro wrestling "fights"). On the undercard we have Pro Wrestler Antonio Inoki, owner of New Japan Pro Wrestling, vs a Pro Wrestler from New Zealand, Abe Jacobs. Ricky Hunter is a Pro Wrestler that actually performed in the famous American WWF. Etc.etc...
This is what "vale tudo" cards were like in the "vale tudo mecca" Maracanazinho.

The "vale tudo" TV show "Herois do Ringue" was a pro wrestling show. You know what happened when a performer accidentally got his arm legitimately broken by an armbar? The show got pulled off the network for being too violent...

All these guys were primarily pro wrestlers, some of whom occasionally fought for real. A lot of them had legitimate, high level skills (Ruska for example was a 2 time Olympic gold medalist in Judo before he started his fake fighting career) and went on to become excellent trainers for the next generation of fighters. No less, no more.

Like I said, I think it's cool that the younger generation is interested in the history of our sport. But your "knowledge" relies exclusively on the second and third hand sources I listed above, as well as on biased accounts of people with an agenda. I know it's tempting to believe that dudes back then were Herculean monsters that fought under full vale tudo rules fights, sometimes lasting for hours, several times per month, over a span of several decades, and are now physically and mentally perfectly intact senior citizens. But the human body doesnt work like that, and this uncritical and undue adulation is actually indirectly disrespectful towards the actual pioneers and legends of our sport.

P.S.: Just as a final comment on our bizarre side conversation about Zulu's fighting prowess, and whether or not being "out of prime" allows for an accurate evaluation;
I have to reiterate that being out of your prime doesnt make you forget how to fight. This is what fighters outside of their prime look like:

You get slower, weaker, gas faster, injuries last longer. You are not magically unable to access technical skills you learned when younger. If you suck on a technical level when you're old, it's because you sucked when you were young. Zulu cant punch, grapple or shoot a takedown at a high level now because he never could.

He was a pro wrestler with very rudimentary grappling training playing the role of Evil Black Dude. That's it.

Yeah, 200 lines of pure BS.

Important: dont compensate ur lack of fundamental knowledge about some clear topics like this one here, by over-writin´ about other things. The more u write, the more u spit mistakes.

U dont know what ure talkin´about, I respect ur BS about u bein´GI Joe [ahhahahahahahaha], but instead of losin´your time discussin´with me, try to study more about the game.

The fact that u posted a He-Man fight as a Vale Tudo/NHB fight, is jus´ridiculous...

Do u know who He-Man was?

Keep believin´that ur VHS collection is relevant (u really believe that ur Zulu 2000s videos about someone who was born in 1947 are serious?) and that ur knowledge about guys like Zulu is accurate.

Ur final link about the ol´man in youtube was...bucolic...

Last edited:
Mike Bitonio vs Bart Vale was legendary..that guy (Bitonio) had so much heart..sad that he is no longer with us

I might come back to this thread later and give a big list for noobies to watch

Good to see some of my videos being posted in this thread

Sorry, but every time I enter this thread to check the new posts, this

Yeah, 200 lines of pure BS.

Important: dont compensate ur lack of fundamental knowledge about some clear topics like this one here, by over-writin´ about other things. The more u write, the more u spit mistakes.

U dont know what ure talkin´about, I respect ur BS about u bein´GI Joe [ahhahahahahahaha], but instead of losin´your time discussin´with me, try to study more about the game.

The fact that u posted a He-Man fight as a Vale Tudo/NHB fight, is jus´ridiculous...

Do u know who He-Man was?

Keep believin´that ur VHS collection is relevant (u really believe that ur Zulu 2000s videos about someone who was born in 1947 are serious?) and that ur knowledge about guys like Zulu is accurate.

Ur final link about the ol´man in youtube was...bucolic...

makes me laugh irl.

It's like a surreal equation:

giphy.gif

+

giphy.gif

=

giphy.gif

Got any videos?

Really weird event. Not sure if they are in Russia or the Middle East.

Rules are inconsistent. Some fights seem to have fast standups from the ground while others don't.

8 man tournament. A couple of non tournament fights too.

First fight sucks because the dude keeps running away. Most of the guys seem to be one dimensional or TMA guys that have never been in a real fight but a couple of the dudes were tough in there.

This tournament is interesting for a couple of reasons:

- Unusually for a Brazilian event in 1995, kicks and knees to a grounded opponent are forbidden.
- No headbutts
- Rounds

It is also Mestre Hulk's finest hour as he beats solid fighters in The Pedro and Amaury Bitteti to win his first and only tournament:

This youtube channel also has a bunch of other rare Vale Tudo, BJJ and assorted grappling events (Jeff Meszaros is an old school BJJ guy who trained in Brazil ~ late 90s - early 00s, has a school in Vancouver and is a really nice guy. You might know him from some Stephan Kesting instructional videos).

Last edited:
That is actually the final match of this tournament:

Any idea what their names were? I have tried to find info on that event but I can't find much. I know it is called Universal Solder 6 but where was it held and who are the fighters?

I would love to know that myself but I don't have a grasp on the Russian language.

Igor Vovchanchyn is the king of world wide Valetudo tournaments.
Here's a cool old school Valetudo fight.

Last edited:
Back