Valve going to stop policing content on steam

Maybe Agony backers can get the unedited version now.

If you didn't think there was enough shot on Steam before though...
Yeah, I agree with some of the journalists that steam should at least make sure that the stuff they sell is a "real" game, not some unreal engine tutorial asset flip that has been slapped with 1000 achievements and weed emojis to make a cash grab.

They have so much shit on there that 10 years ago would have existed only as a flash games. I don't even remember when was the last time I found something new I liked by browsing the steam store. They get like 2000-3000 new games a year nowdays

I was pretty disappointed when Bungie made such a big deal out of the Gauntlets in Destiny 2 that had the KEK symbol on them.

Shit, it just means LOL. They acted like it was some crazy alt-right symbol for Nazism or some shit.

They really need to have separate Steam store-pages, like one for really low budget small teams that are just starting out using Unreal and Unity assets, one for professionally made games by both indie and big developers, and now one for adult titles. Also potentially the ability to vote off low quality games as long as they filter out trolling votes.

Steam needs more policing, not less. I'm not talking about "offensive" content, but just the garbage content people put on there.

Yep. And you don't have to buy or play any of it.

That's freedom, baby.

It's not freedom. It's torture sifting through it.

All the garbage clogging the new and upcoming releases pages.

It's not freedom.
Yes, it is. Incontrovertibly.
It's torture sifting through it.

All the garbage clogging the new and upcoming releases pages.
Cry me a river. "Oh, no, now I have do more legwork to discover the best new games."

First world problems.

Consider this a business opportunity. Now go develop a utility/tool that figures out the best way to filter and predict which games a user will like. Become the Spotify algorithm of Steam. Get rich.

Yes, it is. Incontrovertibly.

Cry me a river. "Oh, no, now I have do more legwork to discover the best new games."

First world problems.

Consider this a business opportunity. Now go develop a utility/tool that figures out the best way to filter and predict which games a user will like. Become the Spotify algorithm of Steam. Get rich.

I live in the first world so I can complain.

Gamers really do have an obsession with Valve similar to how some people have unhealthy attachments to celebrities. The author of this Eurogamer article doesn't want Steam to censor games, but he's really upset over their lack of a principled stand on the issue. It's crazy to me that a person would get this worked up over a corporation's decision making if he doesn't even disagree with its ultimate outcome.

That sort of scrutiny over motivations for behavior should be reserved for family members and loved ones. Some of these people seem to think that just because they really loved Half-life Valve should be in a constant quest for their approval.

Some guys just straight-up have no life.

Same reason Spotify pulled their policy back. You're not curators, you're a marketplace. You have no obligation other than to obey the law. Period. Bringing moral standards into it was a massive error and its good they saw that.

Gamers really do have an obsession with Valve similar to how some people have unhealthy attachments to celebrities. The author of this Eurogamer article doesn't want Steam to censor games, but he's really upset over their lack of a principled stand on the issue. It's crazy to me that a person would get this worked up over a corporation's decision making if he doesn't even disagree with its ultimate outcome.

That sort of scrutiny over motivations for behavior should be reserved for family members and loved ones. Some of these people seem to think that just because they really loved Half-life Valve should be in a constant quest for their approval.
That's not just any author. That's the editor.

This paragraph articulates one of the dumbest and most misguided arguments I have ever heard voiced regarding free markets:
The astonishing arrogance that underlies this delusion can be found in this passage of Johnson's blog: "If you're a player, we shouldn't be choosing for you what content you can or can't buy. If you're a developer, we shouldn't be choosing what content you're allowed to create. Those choices should be yours to make." Guess what, Valve: we still have those choices regardless of what you do. As huge as Steam is, it does not actually have a global hegemony on video game distribution. Other ways of making, distributing and playing games exist, but Valve appears to think that by removing a game from the Steam store it is effacing it from existence. It has confused itself with national governments, the internet, society itself. It actually thinks it has absolute power.
Those choices don't exist regardless of what Valve does.

Know why, Eurogamer? Because your argument is contingent on the presumption that other vendors do offer the choice of whatever game is being censored by Valve. This is not guaranteed, and in fact, the opposite would be ensured if we extend your proposed logic for Valve's own internal management-- to become a closed market-- to the wider market as a whole. Obviously we wouldn't be living in a free market, anymore, but a bazaar of selective censorship.

The consequences of this are the most plain if you reverse the direction of censorship, from product to customer, but maintain authority with the vendor. After all, if Valve served up hamburgers, not video games, would Oli be arguing, "Just because Valve denies service to black people, and won't allow them in the restaurant, doesn't mean that there aren't other restaurants out there where they could buy a hamburger!"

This is the man in charge of Eurogamer? Their organizing mind? Jesus, that's depressing.

Back