Vegetable-based cryptocurrency pulls exit scam, leaves ‘penis’ behind

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.rt.com/business/417336-crypto-vegetable-scam-penis/

A cryptocurrency startup, which promised to revolutionize the fruit and vegetable industry, has apparently pulled an exit scam, shutting down its website and leaving only the word “penis” to greet duped investors.
Prodeum – an ICO (Initial Coin Offering) built on Ethereum – was exposed as a scam after all data was removed from its website, prodeum.io, except the word “penis.” The link to the website now redirects to a bitcoin related Twitter page.

Doesn't look like @ProdeumProject is sticking to the roadmap.https://t.co/qDsnJdlufLpic.twitter.com/w61XRZfR18

— The Blockchain Dog (@TheCryptoDog) January 28, 2018
The company’s Twitter account is no longer in existence and Prodeum’s page has also been removed from Token Desk – a website that promotes various ICOs. An ICO is the unregulated means by which funds are raised for a new cryptocurrency venture.

The Prodeum project claimed to be based out of Vilnius, Lithuania, according to a press release and its whitepaper. “Startup company Prodeum.io is about to revolutionize the fruit and vegetable industry with the use of Ethereum blockchain technology,” the press release stated.

The project apparently wanted to change standards in price look-up (PLU) codes to include a detailed history of the produce along with pricing information. The reasoning behind this was a growth in health conscious consumers who were interested in knowing where their fruit and vegetables came from.

“People want to know if the produce they are buying has been exposed to harmful pesticides or pollutants,” a quote from the press release said. The company claimed it was also in discussions with the International Federation for Produce Standards.

Prodeum outlined its bigger ambitions in its whitepaper – among them FDA approval.

“One of the biggest goals for Prodeum is to create an FDA-approved process for implementing aPLU (advanced PLU) codes onto pieces of products.”

The document says the concept was first pitched in July 2017 while tokens were created on the Ethereum blockchain in January 2018. Plans were in line to carry out advanced PLU trials in Lithuania followed by the USA later this year. However, almost all signs of the venture have now disappeared.

It’s not clear how many investors were duped by the short lived scam, but it appears to be minimal. Its entry on ICO Watchlist indicates Prodeum completed 18 percent of its funding goal. Meanwhile the address given for ICO fundraising shows there were fewer than 50 transactions made in total.

A user claiming to be behind the scam said on a forum that Prodeum was a failure, only making $3,000. The supposed creator apologized and vowed to refrain from future scams. “Remember that all ICOs are scams,” the message concluded.

At the end of the white paper the Prodeum team are named with links to their LinkedIn profiles. The profile of Petar Jandric, who is listed as Senior Ethereum Developer, is no longer available.

Another individual listed as lead engineer and strategist has posted on his LinkedIn profile to explain he was the victim of identity theft and to clarify he had no connection with the project.

ICOs Gone Wild #prodeumpic.twitter.com/FQFINTF74Y

— starsprout (@starsprout) January 29, 2018
lololololol it looks like Prodeum was paying people from Fiverr to write its name on their bodies pic.twitter.com/501JVdpKZM

— Ryan Mac (@RMac18) January 29, 2018

There seems to be some dispute about how much money they got away with. Some articles say $11.00, some say thousands, some say millions.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...fter-seemingly-making-11-leaves-message-penis

Prodeum is at least the second Ethereum startup to pull up stakes after raising money from people in events called Initial Coin Offerings, or ICOs, in which a startup funds their enterprise by taking cryptocurrency from people in exchange for digital tokens. Some ICOs have managed to raise millions of dollars, and the last startup to vanish after conducting an ICO—Confido, which disappeared from the internet in late 2017—made off with roughly $374,000. (A message later appeared on Confido’s site stating that it would buy back investors’ tokens, but it’s unclear if that took place.)

Prodeum, by comparison, only seems to have raised $11 based on the Ethereum address that was advertised on Prodeum’s site as being the ICO address. (Update: After this article was published the contents of the ICO wallet were sent to another wallet. That wallet contains roughly $100, with the other funds all coming from a single wallet that predates the Prodeum ICO and contains 46 cents.)
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/vegetable-...out-millions-leaves-behind-word-penis-1657048

Vegetable-based cryptocurrency Prodeum scams users out of 'millions', leaves behind the word 'penis'

And here's an article on cryptocurrency scams in general:

https://www.wired.com/story/cryptocurrency-scams-ico-trolling/

It joins a long line. In April of last year, there was Mumbai-based OneCoin, a once-lauded blockchain startup that was discovered to be a Ponzi scheme—but not before its founders allegedly funneled at least $350 million through Germany. Then there was Confido, which disappeared after raising over $370,000. Don’t forget BitConnect, an anonymous cryptocurrency exchange that was accused of being a Ponzi scheme numerous times before it finally shut down.

Not every ICO is a scam, and many cryptocurrency startups are legitimate. But the shady, largely unregulated cryptocurrency investment landscape is littered with dozens of fraudulent ventures. (They're also susceptible to hackers; more than 10 percent of the $3.7 billion raised through ICOs has been lost or stolen, according to a recent analysis from the accounting firm Ernst & Young.)

TLDR: some fruit-based clowns ran away with an indeterminate amount of money, just one more scammer in a line of scammers taking advantage of financial technology nobody understands.

EDIT: I had to edit this to replace the metro.uk article with an IBT article once I saw some other headlines at metro. WTF Britain? Your newspapers are out of control.

Last edited:
images

https://www.rt.com/business/417336-crypto-vegetable-scam-penis/

There seems to be some dispute about how much money they got away with. Some articles say $11.00, some say millions.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...fter-seemingly-making-11-leaves-message-penis

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/29/crypt...lions-leaving-one-word-message-penis-7270455/

And here's an article on cryptocurrency scams in general:

https://www.wired.com/story/cryptocurrency-scams-ico-trolling/

TLDR: some fruit-based clowns ran away with an indeterminate amount of money, just one more scammer in a line of scammers taking advantage of financial technology nobody understands.

Amateurs. This is how the MIC leaves penis notes

1510935388105-dick.jpeg

Lithuania....

Yeah... having people in former Eastern Bloc countries running an investment opportunity doesn't sound like a recipe for disaster AT ALL

Lithuania....

Yeah... having people in former Eastern Bloc countries running an investment opportunity doesn't sound like a recipe for disaster AT ALL
Eastern Europe is so full of IT related scams, malware and viruses that I would never think of investing in any crypto currency they come up with.

Eastern Europe is so full of IT related scams, malware and viruses that I would never think of investing in any crypto currency they come up with.

As a general rule of thumb its usually good to possess a bit of distrust towards Slavs.
Honestly, any motherfuckers that lost money in this probably deserve it if they're that damn dumb

Early thread title of the year candidate.

Should have invested in something reputable, like Dogecoin

Friend of mine started something similar with a couple of military buddies, after their 2nd round of ICO they were worth ~20 mill, one of them sold all their coins and went AWOL. Dudes got an army arrest warrant out for him now.

Greed ruins everything

Hmm.

Good news everyone.

I am going to be selling shit, but calling it "Organic Multinutritional Compost" or OMC for short.

At this rate I should be a millionaire in a matter of hours.

I still have a Tardcoin. I hope it regains its value.
I'm pretty sure Tardcoin is a sherdog original started by Tardzilla. With all this crypto nonsense going on, the iron is hot, and it's time we strike. Unleash the tardcoin. #memesworthspreading

I made a lot of exits in my day, but I never left my penis behind. That's for damn sure.

Thread title of the year here

I'm pretty sure Tardcoin is a sherdog original started by Tardzilla. With all this crypto nonsense going on, the iron is hot, and it's time we strike. Unleash the tardcoin. #memesworthspreading
LOL, did he ever start a new account?

LOL, did he ever start a new account?
I think he was banned as Buck Naked, but I haven't seen him around in a year or two. Dude is kind of protective about his identity after getting blasted by Hurricane McLulz.

This is the best thing on the interwebs, honestly:

2XvCgau.png

Well that's just good fun right there

Back