Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am cautiously optimistic about this movie.

Tom Hardy seems like a strong casting choice for the role. Eddie Brock is supposed to be a big, physical dude, and Hardy can make that look convincing. He has a hell of a lot of screen presence and can play crazy and violent to great effect (*Cough* Bronson *cough*).

The special effects and overall tone seem right based on the trailers.

I have only seem Zombieland from the the director's prior work, but that was a solid movie, although tonally very different from the direction Venom seems to be taking. I don't know the writers well enough to comment on their work, but I didn't see any obvious red flags.

They absolutely have to make this R-Rated for this to work, but I think Sony should be willing to take that risk given how commercially successful Deadpool and Deadpool 2 were for Fox.

On the other hand, l can count on one hand the number of non-Marvel superhero movies from the last 20 years that have been better than merely passable, so this could be shit.

But here's hoping!

Update: July 13, 2018

The Sym-BEE-ote Grins from Ear to Ear in New Stills from Tom Hardy's VENOM

There are a few reasons Tom Hardy wanted to star in Venom. He’s played his fair share of villains, he explains, and he was looking to try his hand at a comic book superhero for once — preferably an interesting one, with a complicated past and murky morals. His son Louis is a huge fan of the character and was more than willing to school his dad in Venom’s rich comics history. And gee, wouldn’t it be fun to play both a down-on-his-luck journalist and the goopy alien parasite who infects him?

But really, it came down to one thing.

“As far as Marvel characters, I have to say for me, Venom looks the coolest,” Hardy says with a laugh. “That sounds a bit shallow! But I appreciate that he has a kind of brazen swagger and a zero foxtrot attitude.”

And so the Oscar-nominated actor signed on to bring one of comics’ most notorious anti-heroes to the big screen. See, Venom may be a Marvel protagonist, but he’s no cape-and-tights do-gooder. His human side is Eddie Brock, a journalist reeling from a recent scandal. Desperate to get back on top, he starts investigating the Life Foundation and its cryptic leader, Dr. Carlton Drake (Riz Ahmed). Before long, Eddie is exposed to a slimy, tar-like alien known as a symbiote, which imbues him with extraordinary powers and takes up residence in his head, rent-free.

“There’s a tragic clown element, which I find funny and is harmonious with some of the work that I like to do,” the British actor, 40, says. “There’s something funny about the circumstances of having a gift but it’s a tragic gift. It’s a superpower you don’t really want, but at the same time, you love it. It makes you feel special. He’s a reluctant hero and an anti-hero.”

Venom is the first of Sony’s new films based on characters from the Spider-Mancomics, although it’s a separate world from last year’s Spider-Man: Homecoming. (It’s also not part of the deal between Sony and Disney that allows Tom Holland’s Spidey into the Marvel Cinematic Universe). The creature first made its comics debut in the early ‘80s, where it bonded with Peter Parker before eventually setting its sights on Eddie Brock. Over the years, Venom has evolved from Spider-Man villain to misunderstood anti-hero, and after an appearance in 2007’s Topher Grace-starrer Spider-Man 3, he’s finally stepping into the spotlight.

The film leans heavily into Venom’s violent tendencies (have you seen those teeth?) as well as the body horror that comes with sharing your skin with an alien. In forming this Venom, director Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) explains, “We talked a lot about a werewolf and what it is when you get infected or bit by a werewolf.”

But although a man may transform into a wolf or Jekyll may transform into Hyde, Eddie Brock and Venom don’t really switch from one to the other: Instead, they occupy the same body at the same time and have to reluctantly learn how to coexist.

“Usually a human gets imbued with powers or an alien comes from outer space and has to figure out how to live on our Earth,” Fleischer says. “But this is really about a relationship between two people who have to work together to create this hybrid symbiotic relationship.”

That duality of the role is what fascinated Hardy, and a key part of developing each character was finding their two separate voices. “It’s a bit like Ren and Stimpy, you know?” Hardy says, laughing. “They have different sounds. I always saw Venom as sounding like a James Brown lounge lizard, and Eddie Brock is kind of…” — he switches to an aw-shucks American accent — “I don’t know, an everyday kind of guy. But he’s inherited this massive ego, this beast.”

The result is a black-and-white hero whose morals are anything but. “There’s that biting-off-heads issue,” Hardy admits, “which is not what you would expect from, say, Captain America taking down a crook.”

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/13/ven...ekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Looks good but were is this film heading? Its in a spiderverse with no spiderman? Seems like its most likely a quick cash grab.

I still dont trust sony

Glad more ppl are catching on, anything super hero related thats not under MCU is utter chet

When it comes to comic book movies, there's the MCU and everyone else is scrabbling for the crumbs from their table. Occasionally, DC, Fox or Sony will manage to produce decent films; DoFP, Wonder Woman etc. But for every First Class there's an X Man: Apocalypse.

The trailer doesn't look bad, though. The, "we are Venom!" scene is straight out of the comics. And Hardy, if you give him a decent script instead of expecting him to carry shit-tier writing - yes, looking at you Mr Nolan - can bring the heat.

thats retarded
Not really, I assume they are not going with the whole "alien costume" origin story, and instead Venom is just a random alien that happens to arrive on earth and glom onto Brock.

Though it is weird (and dumb) to have Venom running around in the same continuity Spiderman exists without Spidey trying to stop him.

I mixed the Venom trailer music with a bunch of Teletubbies clips last night

I regret nothing

This movie will be awesome
Just remember I been on board since day 1
FYI to you guys, if this movie turns out to be good, all the negative things I said about this movie were all in jest and I actually secretly loved this project from the very start.

FYI to you guys, if this movie turns out to be good, all the negative things I said about this movie were all in jest and I actually secretly loved this project from the very start.
I, on the other hand, can't wait to compare it to Spiderman 3 and post

1nTicsP.jpg.gif

Update: July 20, 2018

VENOM Footage Details at Comic-Con; Riz Ahmed Confirmed to Play the Symbiote Riot

Q2FusJ5.jpg

Ruben Fleischer, Riz Ahmed, and Tom Hardy take the stage for Venom. It is Hardy's first time in Hall H.

Flesher starts out by talking about how excited he is to be here with this movie. "This guy is trying to bite people's heads off the whole time and this guy is an evil megalomaniac who wants to take over the world."

Why did they choose Tom Hardy for the role?

"I love officially everything he's been in," Fleischer said. "There's no one more exciting to watch on screen. He just brings so much complexity and depth to every character he inhabits."

What appealed to Hardy?

"Venom is, by far, for me the...coolest Marvel super hero that there is. I just like the way he looks first and foremost. Then, also, there's my son and he's a massive Venom fan. He was a very strong influence on me as to why I ought to play Venom specifically...So I did something where I bite people's heads off which my son can't see."

He introduces a clip from the movie.

Eddie Brock enters a convenience store. He knows the lady here. She says he looks like s---. He's not feeling well. She suggested to him previously that he medidate. At home, he puts a disc in his DVD player and while laying on the floor meditates. Flashes of him running through the woods kick in. He smacks his face on the couch. He pounds pills. He looks unwell and calls someone to say he's feeling very sick. He awakens, startled. Later, he walks through an alley and sees Venom in the reflection of a car window before being flung against a wall.

Riz Ahmed's character rules that human beings are disposable. Man and symbiote combined is the future. He tests one on a man who is bent out of shape violently. Eddie is tests later. As ra result, he brutally beats men in his apartment with Venom's help. His motorcycles is sandwiched by cars but Venom holds them off.

Venom tells Eddie his previous life is over. Eddie doesn't want to just hurt people. Venom emerges and talks to Eddie face to face. After Eddie's body is bent and broken, Venom heals him and stands 10 feet tall. He holds a man up and licks his face.

Ahmed's character is proud of his creation. Action scenes flash by. Eddie starts to come around on the power. His gal seems concerned about that. A woman throws spikes out of her back and into civilians at a market.Venom's arms turn into giant axes and he wipes out a slew of enemies. More action scenes. Venom fights Ahmed's symbiote counterpart. Venom threatens to eat a man's face off of his head who is bothering the woman in the convenience store. When he asks "What the hell are you," half the face disappears and Eddie and Venom say, "We are Venom." Then, he eats his head. Eddie emerges and says goodnight to the woman.

Hardy says he was inspired by his roles in Legend to take on a movie with a counterpart. "I wear an earpiece. I would record," Hardy said. "It depends, If I'm Eddie Brock and Venom is talking to me, than only Eddie hears it but all the other actors don't know how to speak."

Ahmed opens up about his Carlton Drake character.

"He's a genius billionaire inventor," Ahmed said. "Life Foundation...is trying to answer the question of what does the future for humanity look like...He thinks, probably, we've got a future in outer space and he comes across the symbiote."

Ahmed's character is Riot.

"We're definitely planning a huge world with this Venom story and we want to be able to satisfy our own desires and the desires of fans to explore all of the characters in the film," Flesher said.

"Jenny Slate, who I'm a massive fan of...she plays the lead scientist at the Life Foundation," Ahmed said. "Here she brings a lot of soul and warmth and humanity to this character."

Will Spider-Man be involved?

"I think we can all agree it would be pretty amazing to see Spider-Man and Venom face off in a film," Fleischer said. "I have to think that the studio is thinking the same way and at some point down the road they're gonna run across each other's paths."

Tom Hardy would like to go "toe to toe" with Tom Holland's Spider-Man.

"I can't wait for it," Fleischer said.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/21/sdcc-2018-sony-venom-spider-man-trailer-panel/

I have never heard of Riot

The rumor leak a few months back talked about Carnage but I don't remember it saying anything about Riot

Looking forward to seeing the actual trailers, this could be good or corny as fuck.

Looking forward to seeing the actual trailers, this could be good or corny as fuck.
I'm scared of more zero-stake climactic CGI-fest fights.

But Venom wrecking humans and property could be super dope if they do it right.

They are trying to combine too many elements of all of venoms incarnations.

Update: July 22, 2018

Screenshot of Venom About to Eat a Guy's Head from the VENOM Comic-Con Trailer

SAminUz.jpg

Eat a guy's head? Is Peter Parker old enough to see stuff like this? Will Venom have a nice Chianti with a side of Fava beanz. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back