Venum Giant 3.0 vs Venum Elite - Review

iFossil

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I notice there aren't any review on the Giant 3.0 and very few on the Elite, so here I am to make one after owning them for a while.

I have to say I first purchased straight to the highest end Venum offer - the Giant 3.0 and later only curiosity led me to get the Elite, purely down to my desire to make a comparison.

As the common reputation of Venum, only their higher end gloves that are [Hand Made In Thailand] are worthy of getting, others that are [Designed in Thailand] are made in China and have significantly poorer quality.

So as a venum fan, let me quickly introduce all their currently available models that are actually [Hand Made In Thailand]. These models exlude lace-up and special colours of the same gloves.
XFJf75I.jpg

As you can see, excluding their low end models, the Giant 3.0 and Elite are sitting at the top and bottom of the higher end gloves.

Given my experience on Venum, I also have no reason to believe the Giant Sparring and Fusion use any different padding or material compare to the Elite. Only changes would be the graphic printing.

So basically it is down to Venum's Leather gloves compare to Synthetic gloves. Of course 9/10 out of 10 times Geunine Leather is superior and the retail price reflect that. But by how much, how different are they and is it worth the extra cost?

--------- Venum Giant 3.0 vs Venum Elite - Review ---------
sra9qIf.jpg

Size/Weight/Profile

Both gloves are available in 10, 12, 14, 16 oz. I have both in 10 oz.

In comparison, the Giant 3.0 feel significantly heavier than the Elite. I don't have a kitchen scale, but by owning many other 10 oz gloves, I would say the Giant 3.0 are on weight or tiny bit over. The Elite on the other hand are definitely under weight. They feel so light, too light.

Profile wise, I don't think the Giant 3.0 are particular compact gloves, have a normal profile, but surely not a large profile. The Elite are pretty compact. In comparison the Giant 3.0 are significantly larger than the Elite as you can see on the photo. When you put the 10 oz Elite next to all my other 10 oz gloves, they look like 8 oz in term of size.

Material Quality

Giant 3.0 are made with genuine nappa leather. I would say they have one of the thickest leather I have owned. They are hand made in Thailand, but even compare to my Fairtex and Twins, these Giant 3.0's leather do seems significantly thicker. I don't think Venum use the same leather as the other Thailand made gloves. Also they give very different feeling in term of feedback compare to Thai brand due to this I think. (Later on that) Material wise the Giant are at the top of the top imo.

Elite are made with synthetic leather. They do indeed feel synthetic. I'd say there are two type of synthetic gloves I have experienced, one straight plastic feeling (Eg: Ringside Apex), you even get that plastic sticky sound when you make a fist. Another is like the Venum Elite, they feel like the raincoat type of material, they are very very smooth in hand, don't make that plastic sound, more like a smooth rubbing sound when you rub your hands together.

I believe in terms of quality both their leather and synthetic material are the top in the business.

Craftsmanship

HVqBSDE.jpg

Both are hand made in thailand, if you have owned any good Thai brand, Fairtex, Twins Special, Top King. These Venum are no different at all, straight up premium level in terms of craftsmanship, not a single loose thread. Everything is super nice and clean. They are just very very "tidy". Not a single flaw you can find in these, perfect level of craftmanship.

Look/Design
VnDcUx9.jpg

Subjective, but I would say this, the gold on my Giant 3.0 are my favourite gold, they aren't the yellowish gold that really shine brightly or have a strong metallic blink to them, they are more subtle gold that have some matte feeling to it, like champagne gold. I love the colour.

And I got to be honest I really didn't like the giant snake logo at first, only that gold brought me into buying the Giant 3.0 and I figured if the giant snake head crack or fade one day, these gloves would look even better. (But so far the printing are phenomenal, they have no sign of fading or cracking at all.)

wIWZ1fQ.jpg

The Elite Matte black are super subtle too, the whole gloves are matte black with the printing being a little shinier. The camera can never do them justice. They look really nice. When from far they look like plain black gloves, the closer you get the more detail you can see.

Weight balance

No issue, both are pretty balance. The Giant 3.0 with extremely tiny bit top heavy if that even count, too little to be significant though.

Liner
x3iuhIE.jpg

Both use Satin liner, like the Thai Brand, best type of liner imo, just the most comfortable to slide your hands in, don't bunch up your hand wraps, easiest to clean and dry. But also easier to smell if you don't take care.

NTv1MOR.jpg

Note that the Giant 3.0 the satin liner don't start until the back of your hand, the back of your wrist are straight gold leather, which look even better, even easier to clean and dry. Doesn't affect performance by any mean though.

Heat/Ventilation/Air out

wXSKhhJ.jpg

Giant 3.0 - 6 vent holes on the thumb, 3 above the grip bar and 9 below the bar.

2WRCtuf.jpg

Elite - I believe they have the same amount (6) on the thumb, the grip bar and above are made with mesh material that actually don't breath, because there are liner covering them. Below the grip bar are a few vent holes too, if I remember correctly.

Heat wise, this is really where the main issue come in, the Giant 3.0 feel normal or relatively cool during work out.

The Elite literally feel like you are wearing a raincoat while doing your work out.

I have to clarify, there are different type of synthetic non-breathable experience I have had. One is like the Hayabusa Tokushu, you feel completely being suffocate with cotton around your hands, the exact feeling as wearing tons of layer of thick cotton clothing, with all your winter long coat, jumper, scarf, beanie on and you are training under hot summer, that is how that feel. all your skin are being wrapped around tightly with the hot cotton. You wish you could take off the amount of layer.

The Elite don't feel like that, you don't feel like you are being wrapped tightly with the thick layer of cotton in hot summer. Instead, you can feel there are air in your hand compartment, they are cool at the start, but like a sauna room or training with a big raincoat with zero ventilation on your very outer layer (despite there are vent holes), as you are training, that exact same air just aren't getting anywhere at all, they keep heating up more and more, eventually your fingers are dipping in your sweat.

You really feel the difference, Hayabusa Tokushu feel like your hands and skins are heating up, there are no air inside, the Elite feel the air are heating up and forcing your hand to sweat as much as possible like a sauna suit they use to cut weight.

For airing out, there aren't any problem at all, both with Satin lining and vent holes, dry quick enough.

Last edited:
Wrist Support

Both Giant 3.0 and Elite are good, but I wouldn't say they are good as the very best like Tokushu dual velcro or Rival's V shape wrist strap. Those gloves specialize in their extreme wrist support system.

xevNfcs.jpg

7WrvhwV.jpg

Both the Giant 3.0 and Elite only use standard 3" wrist strap. However the straps are pretty thick and I do believe in standard wrist support like these, they have one of the best solid straps, therefore the wrist support aren't crazily good, but good enough.

7Gdh59u.jpg

This is me trying hardest to bend backward.
zsgDMT7.jpg

Forward.
Ue6kP4G.jpg

Backward.
syvYQm8.jpg

Forward.

Please keep in mind the Elite are much newer than the Giant 3.0

Fit/Comfort/Feel

45xfeGT.jpg

As you can see both of the model have cushion on the palm, that could be a little beneficial to the comfort of catching/parrying shots.

Both these gloves are extremely comfortable, I'd go as far as they are the most comfortable gloves I have tried.

When you put your hands in one of these, you just have soft cushion around your hand 360°.

Both of them aren't snug, so when you lay your hand in they don't scramble around your hands, instead you feel like your hand sitting on a extremely comfortable sofa, very soft, very comfortable.

That being said, they are on the roomy side, but generally when I have roomy gloves they tend to be roomy so much they slide sideway being annoying, I have a narrow long hand on the small size (7.5" circumference around the knuckle), these aren't particularly roomy sideway, so my hands don't slide around, especially when I have my hand wrapped with 180" wraps. They are just perfect. Without wraps they aren't snug at all, with wraps just minimal amount of snug.

So generally speaking they are just so so comfortable. I can put my hands in them just feel how soft they are all day.
D60Swhh.jpg

Just a bag of comfy soft cushions. I'd say they come in 100% broken in feel. Super comfortable.

The difference: The Elite has significantly longer finger compartment as you can see on the picture. If you have long finger, you would really like the length Elite give.
VC6JKG8.jpg

Making a fist is effortless in both gloves.
BaQunyw.jpg

Opening hands are also very very easy.

I am only showing the Giant 3.0 here, but the Elite if anything, are even softer and easier to close and open hands.
6sbkFLr.jpg

Oh and due to having skinny wrist, my gloves close like this without wraps on. not a problem.
8zzY8rn.jpg

And the strap sticking out like this, so if you are a lightweight or have a small wrist like me, you might have problem sparring with these gloves and I can only imagine the bigger the gloves, the more this become a problem for sparring.

Thumb Position

jWoJ0Vw.jpg

FlDHKkJ.jpg

Curve thumb, at a pretty naturally position.
E53ZLHz.jpg

But I have to say they are on the short side, I certainly bottom out on the Giant 3.0 having a longer thumb, the Elite are tiny bit longer.

Knuckle Padding/Protection
2Yloblt.jpg

Protection wise, I have to say the both have the protective type of padding, the padding are triple layer and soft. They definitely aren't the type that could hurt your knuckles by themselves. They aren't the easiest padding to allow you straight bottom out on your punches, you can feel the middle or last layer giving you a bit more resistance to avoid them bottom out. But with excessive use I can see the bottom out issue happening on both gloves.

I suppose they use the same type of padding, but on hands the feel aren't exact.

The Giant 3.0: These gloves have one of the most comfort-protective feel to it, so they are my go-to when my knuckles are injured. Because the padding are so comfortable, even with injured knuckles they don't punish them among striking. I don't know how long these soft padding can last, but so far they are close to the second most protective gloves I feel (behind UMA Ultra).

The Elite: They suppose to use the same padding, but due to the synthetic material and come in significantly underweight, I could easily feel my punches straight through the padding and you do not get that with the Giant 3.0 at all in my case. I don't consider myself a hard puncher, but these at 10oz cannot handle my power shot. I would recommend if anyone really consider buying the Elite, take the next weight than your usual. They are still protective in terms of not getting injuries on your knuckles, but you wouldn't want that feel of straight taking the shock on your shoulder.

Feedback & Pop

This is where the gloves become very distinct to each other.

The Giant 3.0: These gloves bounce so much, they are so damn springy. To me springy gloves aren't a problem if the amount of spring rebound to the perfect amount you need, it has to be determine by the user sizes and punching power. If the amount of rebound don't match the person, they are too springy and weird. If they match the user, they become very responsive and very enjoyable.

I gotta say, the giant 3.0 bounce way more than I will ever need. They are BY FAR the most springy gloves I have ever laid my hands on. The harder you punch the more they spring back, so if you decide to go power shot every time with them, the training become very awkward.

I find them most enjoyable when doing the lightest punching type of workout so they bounce to that perfect amount, I am almost like touching the bag with them. If I am wracking the bag with power they don't feel enjoyable, just awkward.

However due to the quality leather, tapping the bag lightly with them also have a good enjoyable feel, they just bounce well if you go super light, then you can work on your motion instead of stamina/power. Wouldn't be my choice if I decide to go full on hard work out though. Due to the same reason they are also excellent in being the go-to gloves when you have injured hand and have to go very light.

The Elite: These gloves don't bounce nearly as much as the Giant 3.0, they still have bounce, but no where close, like 1/5 to 1/3 of the bounce of the Giant 3.0 give, so going full out with them is viable. However the synthetic material do not give any good touch on bag, so if you are the type that like "touch, touch, power shot" etc, these aren't good for that, you don't have the leather to leather touch between the gloves and bags, so light tapping the bag aren't too ideal. Further more, there are countless time my punches just straight slips on the bag with sweat. They are very slippy in that regards.

In short:
Giant 3.0: Enjoyable when extreme light work, good touch with bags and ideal for injured hands.
Elite: Enjoyable when go hard work out, but more you sweat more slippery with your punches on bag.

They both have some pop, not silence gloves, Giant 3.0 have a little more than the Elite. But still would not call either a loud cracking gloves at all.

Due to the nature of the padding, I think both are better to serve as sparring gloves than bag gloves. Especially the giant 3.0. With that amount of spring and softness, they would be an excellent sparring gloves. With Elite's softness also seems more for sparring, but with how they become so slippery with sweat....it could be awkward with your punches slipping on a sweaty opponent or sweaty headguard. Also if using Elite for sparring have to make sure you get the heaviest 16 oz for small, normal size person, for heavier weight you have to pull your shot 100% for how light they are.

Durability

Giant 3.0: Excellent construction, solid leather, padding should last a decent amount of time.
Elite: Good synthetic material too, but I can see with enough use the padding become thinner quicker than the giant 3.0.

I don't expect either to last a long long long time if you are a heavy puncher. Not that they are very ideal for heavy puncher anyway.

Availability: Around the world on both I am sure.

Cost Performance Ratio

I think both are at relatively fine price. Especially if you can grab them with discount code 15%-30% that they do sometimes, they would be a decent deal.

Overall

The giant 3.0: I feel they are the most comfortable gloves out there and very protective. Great for anyone who has injuries on hands. Great look and quality. However too springy for anyone to work hard on bags. If for sparring they seems ideal.

The Elite: Also very very comfortable on hand, but heat up and make your hand suffocate and sweat in hot air inside. The sweat also make the gloves too slippery on bags or sparring. They come underweight and too light. Must get the next weight up no matter who you are. Definitely don't think they are designed for hard puncher or advance user. For beginner though they are certainly one of the best and seems even better for them to use compare to other advance level gloves. This is due to the comfort and light structure they have, make any light puncher/beginner's experience more enjoyable than waving a solid leather gloves that they can't make good use of.

------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

Size/Weight/Profile: Giant:Normal, Elite: Compact
Material Quality: Giant: One of the thickest leather, Elite: One of the best synthetic, raincoat feel
Look/Design: Excellent imo, champaign gold and matte black
Craftsmanship: Top notch, flawless Thai brand grade
Weight balance: Good
Liner: Satin, excellent
Heat/Ventilation/Air out: Giant: No problem, Elite: Hot air being trapped and drown your hands in sweat
Wrist Support: Good, above average.
Fit/Comfort/Feel: Giant: Most comfortable gloves out there, Elite: Close to Giant comfort, soft.
Thumb Position: Curve, a little short on both
Knuckle Padding/Protection: Soft layered on both. Giant: Very very protective but way too bouncy, Elite: Good on kuckles but shock on my shoulder due to being too light.
Feedback & Pop: Some, average.
Durability: Only worry is over long term might bottom out the padding, but so far no problem.
Availability: Around the world?
Cost Performance Ratio: Fine, even better to get when discounted.

Overall: Giant: Better for sparring than bags, or use when hands are injured. Elite: Suitable for lightweight puncher or excellent for beginner. Too light for anyone else.

Last edited:
More photos:
KsA4ule.jpg

VceaqWO.jpg

wNw4ELV.jpg

qEkhzXx.jpg

HIOLLp1.jpg

OlJo3Eq.jpg

UwO8Y56.jpg

pEvgmih.jpg

4zgvB93.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this review. I read is A to Z. I was really debating which gloves to get next and this is not an easy decision at these prices.
Thanks to your review I am going for the Giant. Gracias amigo!

Thank you so much for this review. I read is A to Z. I was really debating which gloves to get next and this is not an easy decision at these prices.
Thanks to your review I am going for the Giant. Gracias amigo!

Feel free to let us know how it goes and if you like them too! :)

Beautiful gloves. I've been itching to make a review in the future but never had time, the only good pairs of gloves I own are KOFGs for sparring and Ringside IMF Bag Gloves. If you want an insight in either of these gloves let me know or shoot me a PM.

Back