VHS had the coolest artwork

Maybe if the prices came down.

Just a standard LaserDisc film, from what I've read, usually averaged around $39.99 and special editions that had more special features than usual could run around $100.

Part of the problem as well was I'd say that studio's were still often holding back on releasing big titles to buy for home use in the 80's, stuff like Starwars for example only came out on Laserdisc in 1993, if that had been released in say 1985 it could potentially have had a big impact on the formats success.

VACATION.jpg

A11zvk8zzyL._SY445_.jpg

7e1a09c743ade8e1031c5d11ebcead1f.jpg

Last edited:
Makes me miss the video store though I don't miss Blockbuster. I wish Netflix would
open a video store.

Same.

Just a place you walk around and scan the barcode for each video and it adds it to a play list for when you are at home.

I love 80's horror posters/vhs designs from Japan. Much cooler and terrifying.

7c8f9479959ef10710b7bc72b5f060e5.jpg

TheFunhouse_B2_Japan-1-500x706.jpg

Even non horror films still look they could be
bfa5b42229c67cafc0f9a7eddf406a25.jpg

More than anything the 80's was the era of great hand draw/painted promotional material, both movie posters and VHS.

My absolute favorite as a kid. I've probably seen it 100 times

I grew up with stuff like Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cites of Gold that had the same kind of western/anime hybrid so the film fit in nicely. I know the original series was produced in the far east but the film seemed like it had a much stronger influence with weird and wonderful stuff like Unicron and the Quintessons plus the general brutality of it.

Last edited:
Man, the pro wrestling section of a video store was fucking heaven to me when I was little.

summerslam911.jpg

wm8front.jpeg

2230178189_11f1193f96.jpg

91dwK6zpXJL._SX385_.jpg

I always found it interested the the VHS for The Punisher used photos of scenes that are not in the movie.

a0c44257da0382b2e5d706d7f616793d.jpg

208f04e8-b4ae-11e5-897e-d11326323404.jpg

Trailers in the 80's-mod 90's veeeery often had scenes that were not in the movie. More than one, quite often. They were getting some value out of cut scenes.

One off the top of my head is "major league," but I have noticed way more.

In the trailer for major league you had the "that ball wouldn't have been our of a lot of parks." "Name one?" "...... Yellowstone." *group laughs*

That bit from the trailer isn't in the movie.

Trailers in the 80's-mod 90's veeeery often had scenes that were not in the movie. More than one, quite often. They were getting some value out of cut scenes.

One off the top of my head is "major league," but I have noticed way more.

In the trailer for major league you had the "that ball wouldn't have been our of a lot of parks." "Name one?" "...... Yellowstone." *group laughs*

That bit from the trailer isn't in the movie.
I like that The Punisher box had Dolph in blue jeans but in the movie, he is only seen in black leather.

Back