[VID] AJ Agazarm vs Dan Strauss

Young Turkey

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
From Polaris 2, probably the most taunting I've seen in a match lol

[YT]watch?v=tXb_4YYFeog[/YT]

AJ is the biggest (non-rapist) douchebag in BJJ. I think he seriously sits around and tries to figure out to become even more unlikeable.

I like the intensity of this match, but it also made me sad, because in any other grappling sport, both players would be disqualified for lack of sportsmanship.
Why is it even allowed to push opponent and talk to him during a contest?

AJ is the biggest (non-rapist) douchebag in BJJ. I think he seriously sits around and tries to figure out to become even more unlikeable.

In this specific match, what specific actions made you consider AJ a douchebag? I am legitimately asking for a detailed answer. Thanks

In this specific match, what specific actions made you consider AJ a douchebag? I am legitimately asking for a detailed answer. Thanks

I know you're asking 5025 but the mouth guard thing isn't cool. I'm glad Strauss tossed it. Really though Strauss came into the match pissed off because of the AJ/Geddes match.

What, do you want timestamps? Why does it have to be just this specific match?

I'm less than 5 minutes into the match and I'm already annoyed by the mouthpiece thing and AJ trying to grab a leg/trip Dan after the referee standup.

AJ is like an honorary Diaz brother, crazy talented, but no where near as good as he thinks he is. If you're such a badass, then spend less time taunting your opponent and more time tapping him out.

that was an entertaining match with great skills too. wish more were like that.

funny, i just assumed that daniel strauss was the guy from bellator. then i saw white guy with gigantic legs who looks like lyle alzado. only in jiu-jitsu can you have a bigger, stronger guy act all tough, bump and shove the other guy, then flop to his butt and do a "come at me bro!"

I hate this pro wrestlingesque stuff in grappling or MMA, especially when you see that it's all made up. I mean this guy does it to literally anyone lately.. of course he wants to build up this douche character to promote himself. There is no real rivalry or what.

Point is who fucking cares about this stuff? I just want to see good grappling.

In the previous Polaris event AJ fought one of Dan's teammates and was quite disrespectful to him, so there was a definite real rivalry in this fight.

I know. He was disrespectful to Oli Geddes without any particular reason. Why? To help him build this awful character he is putting up.

That's what I mean when I say that it's all made up. So sorry if I can't take seriously this "rivalry"

I'm not a big fan of anyone who shoots takedowns when the other guy's trying to slap hands. Also the little childish grabs of the legs etc when ref calls time.

I think Dan did really well, fighting a multiple time ADCC competitor and someone who does fight at the elite level. In fairness, Dan is a former ADCC competitor as well and has fought well on the world stage. He was taken down plenty of times by a much better wrestler but as Dan's main attack is the guillotine I'm sure he was okay with it. As it was sub-only I'd have to say Dan looked better - AJ never advanced his position once or got a sub attempt.

AJ got a lot of take downs but then did nothing with them, I know thems the rules but it just annoys me to see that wrestling points mentality in BJJ sometimes, a lot of these guys never try to advance position, pass guard, etc, just spam the takedowns and take it on points, i'm guessing the format didn't allow that?

That being said the other guy looked like a fucking gorilla, what was the difference in weight here? Not easy to submit skilled guys who have that much of a strength/weight advantage.

I thought this was a great match. I especially appreciate Strauss' guillotine game.

The only thing I thought was truly low class by AJ was the foot grab after the ref stood them up. All the other jawing back and forth and pushing is 2 parts silly and 1 part entertaining.

if they're going to push each other and get all mad, they might as well have an MMA match and get it over with. it's pointless in a grappling match.

That being said the other guy looked like a fucking gorilla, what was the difference in weight here? Not easy to submit skilled guys who have that much of a strength/weight advantage.

He is a gorilla. He normally fights between medium-heavy and heavy. The dude literally bends horseshoes with his hands. A quick search gave me a vid of him bending an 'red nail' which is apparently pretty hard to do, I don't really understand the logistics.

If it helps he's fucking hilarious:

Came in expecting a black dude from Bellator with dreads.

I don't mind all the attitude during a match honestly. Attempting a trip after the ref separates you is pretty weak, but the boasting and taunting was fine. I don't want it in every match, but every now and then it adds some flare.

AJ reminds me of this.

south-park-s19e01c01-please-welcome-pc-principal_16x9.jpg

PC_Principal.jpg

Back