VID: my first kickboxing fight

Dilaanf_

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Last Saturday i had my first fight. I had a blast but would like to know what i did good and wrong. So any tips are appreciated .

Edit: i am the one in the white shorts

Last edited:
Are you the Lebanese looking one? I'm going to assume that you are. Now I don't know much about Kick boxing never really watched it. (I stick to Muay Thai and boxing) but your guard is pretty much imaginary... like it's there but it's not really there with any real purpose, it wouldn't block the punches of a small child let alone a fighter again that could be how kickboxers do it I'm not sure. After the knock down you seem to noodle arm it like that McGregor warm up before the Mayweather fight. The punches are coming but they're just wild swings that aren't really throwing with any thought or intention.
You seem almost too eager to engage, I get that being aggressive is a good thing but you have to measure it. Taper it back a bit and allow yourself to think, because the way you're fighting you are moving too quick to allow yourself to think so your combos are just kicks and noodle arm swings.
It was an exciting fight and fun to watch though. Very enjoyable for a first fight.

Last edited:
I thought that was a very good first fight. Not much I can say but good job. I really like how you didn’t break during the stare down while your opponent did multiple times. You could tell who was there just to be there and who was there to take the win.

Last Saturday i had my first fight. I had a blast but would like to know what i did good and wrong. So any tips are appreciated .

Edit: i am the one in the white shorts

You won the fight. That's what you did good. :D
Also, you're a pro fighter, get your pro fighter tag.
It gets you mad Sherdog props, trust me. All the Sherbitches will be all over you.
(the catch: there are none)

Are you the Lebanese looking one? I'm going to assume that you are. Now I don't know much about Kick boxing never really watched it. (I stick to Muay Thai and boxing) but your guard is pretty much imaginary... like it's there but it's not really there with any real purpose, it wouldn't block the punches of a small child let alone a fighter again that could be how kickboxers do it I'm not sure. After the knock down you seem to noodle arm it like that McGregor warm up before the Mayweather fight. The punches are coming but they're just wild swings that aren't really throwing with any thought or intention.
You seem almost too eager to engage, I get that being aggressive is a good thing but you have to measure it. Taper it back a bit and allow yourself to think, because the way you're fighting you are moving too quick to allow yourself to think so your combos are just kicks and noodle arm swings.
It was an exciting fight and fun to watch though. Very enjoyable for a first fight.
Thank you for the feedback. Looking back at it i indeed got too excited after the knockdown and just started throwing without thinking haha. You're also right about my guard I'll need to work on that. Got any tips for that? maybe?

I thought that was a very good first fight. Not much I can say but good job. I really like how you didn’t break during the stare down while your opponent did multiple times. You could tell who was there just to be there and who was there to take the win.

I actually got that from someone here on sherdog in my thread for tips before the fight haha. He said i needed to look him in his 3rd eye and just think about the fight.

You won the fight. That's what you did good. :D
Also, you're a pro fighter, get your pro fighter tag.
It gets you mad Sherdog props, trust me. All the Sherbitches will be all over you.
(the catch: there are none)
Nice but how do i get the pro fighter tag?

Thank you for the feedback. Looking back at it i indeed got too excited after the knockdown and just started throwing without thinking haha. You're also right about my guard I'll need to work on that. Got any tips for that? maybe?

Understandable mate. Easiest way is to simply find the guard that comes naturally and work on your muscle memory to keep it nice and strong. I myself (boxing not kickboxing) Have my lead arm lowered for quick jabs that are hard to see coming and my right arm up relying on a shoulder roll and quick reflexes to slip the punch. For kickboxing you might be best having your elbows in a bit tighter i.e almost at the center of your ribcage, and your hands a bit wider, so that when the punch comes in you can shut them up like a bear trap. Have a chat with your trainer about the strongest guard for kickboxing and then just practice it as much as you can when you do bag work and pad work.

Your opponents guard was down by his waist so you were able to tag him a lot, but yours was pretty average too (as mentioned) and you took a bit of punishment. You could practice holding a tennis ball against your chin to get used to keeping your hands there.

Also you didn’t check a single kick.

You also went probably a bit hard, and I reckon if you had of shelled up a bit, checked the kicks and thrown a couple counters, you may well have completely gassed him and been able to get a knockout. As it was you were pretty tired yourself and took unnecessary punishment.

That’s what happens with a first fight though. Adrenaline dump and everything you learned goes out the window as it becomes a slug fest.

With kickboxing though (or at least k1 rules) there are LOTS of leg kicks. So you know after a couple punches to lift the leg and the counter with your own.

You did good though. Good aggression, decent tempo, landed a lot of good shots (though your opponent had no defence haha). Just tighten things up, it’ll come as you calm down in the ring.

Is your gym actually called Family Gym? lol, damn. Imagine making a gym called "3rd street health and fitness" and mauling gyms with names like "Caged Warriors" or "Devil Killers"

That event looks awesome though, very pro-like, hell the events I've done were all sad low budget in rec center type places.

The good thing is you have aggression and instinct when it comes to this, its actually rare for the less exp'd guys to have this.

The problem you have is swinging for the fences to the point you;re losing balance.

You're going to need to learn how to deal with body kicks better, the last round your opponent started to get in the groove and you just blocked it without retaliating. Not too good, against a bigger opponent in your weight class its going to do damage.

Were you losing steam near the end? At this time you backed up alot, and not in a good way. 2 steps back, thats the most you should ever take, more than than in a straight line is a cardinal sin.

Good fight though, first fight was borderline a pro fight. Shit thats awesome.

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

Is your gym actually called Family Gym? lol, damn. Imagine making a gym called "3rd street health and fitness" and mauling gyms with names like "Caged Warriors" or "Devil Killers"

That event looks awesome though, very pro-like, hell the events I've done were all sad low budget in rec center type places.

The good thing is you have aggression and instinct when it comes to this, its actually rare for the less exp'd guys to have this.

The problem you have is swinging for the fences to the point you;re losing balance.

You're going to need to learn how to deal with body kicks better, the last round your opponent started to get in the groove and you just blocked it without retaliating. Not too good, against a bigger opponent in your weight class its going to do damage.

Were you losing steam near the end? At this time you backed up alot, and not in a good way. 2 steps back, thats the most you should ever take, more than than in a straight line is a cardinal sin.

Good fight though, first fight was borderline a pro fight. Shit thats awesome.

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
Yh i started to get tired the last round. My coaches also told me i was ahead so i played it more safe. I tried to counter his body kicks with a punch each time but it didn't work every time.

Yh i started to get tired the last round. My coaches also told me i was ahead so i played it more safe. I tried to counter his body kicks with a punch each time but it didn't work every time.
Once he saw you were getting tired and still didnt push him around as much he came in. It'd very difficult, but you have to do your best to hide these things or it will create problems or annoyances.

Striking really comes down to taking away your opponent's confidence so you can work and win with volume and ultimately finish (if you can) . Soon as he got confident he started to throw volume and pressed forward.

That event looked good. Great performance too

Your jab is pretty damn accurate. Your right hand landed a lot behind it too.

He got you coming in every couple times with a legkick, so I guess my advice would be to practice leg kick returns if you're not going to check them.
You probably wanted to trade a leg kick for landing straight right, but that shit gets tiring and you eat the kick anyway.

Also you throw some serious right hooks but I would try mixing in uppercuts as well. Especially when they close with you and you're already throwing.
You threw one uppercut in round one, almost looked like an accident on your part - but it hit him square in the face.

Last edited:
I actually got that from someone here on sherdog in my thread for tips before the fight haha. He said i needed to look him in his 3rd eye and just think about the fight.

That's badass, I'm glad some good actually came out of this terrible place.

Hey man, I infortunately couldnt attend this event. Some guys I know had to fight and some friends were there to support them.

Well fought!! Sometimes it was a bit sloppy, but it was tour first fight. You only will grow from here. Keep up the good work!!

Regards from Holland

Hey man, I infortunately couldnt attend this event. Some guys I know had to fight and some friends were there to support them.

Well fought!! Sometimes it was a bit sloppy, but it was tour first fight. You only will grow from here. Keep up the good work!!

Regards from Holland
Thanks man. I have my next fight scheduled may 26st in my hometown amstelveen

Good fight, tighten up ur guard and punches, and dont be the agressor all the time, and you got it ;)!!

Back