[VID]My kickboxing fight. Tear me a new one

bonsaireborn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I want your input, think you can give me a hand?

I just had my 6th amateur fight and won by split decision. Blue corner

Short back story:

Started training to help get some issues sorted out, began competition without having my head well into it and went 0-3, 1 split decision and 2 doctor stoppages. I don't fully agree with the split decision, and one of the doctor stoppages should've been a DQ for low blows, but whatever. I didn't make a strong enough case for the win to be absolutely clear cut, so as far as I'm concerned, there's no room for complaining about it. I just had to get better and focus.

Finally got my head together, and stepped up to 1-3 with a KO. Won another one by decision, then got my lower back badly injured. It felt as if I would never walk again without a cane.

After months of rehab, I was back to training and after a few months ready to compete again. This is my comeback fight.

So, as far as criticism goes:

-I was way too tentative. Feel like I was pointfighting, something like "win no matter how boring it is".
-Wasn't setting up the low kicks.
-Became too hesitant after that first front kick got me airborne, and took too long to regain confidence.
-Need to stop catching the kicks or switch to K-1

Positives:

-My movement wasn't allowing him to engage after the first front kick
-After a few minutes I was having an easier time cutting the distance against a much, much longer guy
-No haymakers, lots of straight punches.

Or maybe my opponent just sucked really bad :[

I'm sure there are other things. and you guys will probably be kind enough to tear me to pieces here so I can get better :D

This was the final of a series of events to pick out our national team for the WAKO South American Championships in december.

Low kicks rules, 2x2' rds, Welterweight division (67kg)

Also, for your time, enjoy:

318309_2345794897129_1617739714_2358055_62530382_n.jpg

Last edited:
You did good it looks like your gaining confidence but some things I noticed were your leg kicks were easily telegraphed and if he was good enough he could have exploited that you left your self open by lunging a couple times and you had that guy backing up you should have pressed him more and you might could have gotten a finish you hit him good also torward the end you had you hands low. Your movement was good hard to hit try try to jab then leg kick if your wanting to low kick or if he throws a jab duck a little inside leg kick then a right hand. I'm a red and black belt kickboxer got it last yr at 16 should get my black belt after I turn 18 maybe but were allowed to do high kicks also do mma and use some of that. instead of standing straight up try bending your knees a little overall your pretty good and how was that a split decision you clearly won I would have knocked him out.
Hey guys. I want your input, think you can give me a hand?

I just had my 6th amateur fight and won by split decision. Blue corner

Short back story:

Started training to help get some issues sorted out, began competition without having my head well into it and went 0-3, 1 split decision and 2 doctor stoppages. I don't fully agree with the split decision, and one of the doctor stoppages should've been a DQ for low blows, but whatever. I didn't make a strong enough case for the win to be absolutely clear cut, so as far as I'm concerned, there's no room for complaining about it. I just had to get better and focus.

Finally got my head together, and stepped up to 1-3 with a KO. Won another one by decision, then got my lower back badly injured. It felt as if I would never walk again without a cane.

After months of rehab, I was back to training and after a few months ready to compete again. This is my comeback fight.

So, as far as criticism goes:

-I was way too tentative. Feel like I was pointfighting, something like "win no matter how boring it is".
-Wasn't setting up the low kicks.
-Became too hesitant after that first front kick got me airborne, and took too long to regain confidence.
-Need to stop catching the kicks or switch to K-1

Positives:
-My movement wasn't allowing him to engage after the first front kick
-After a few minutes I was having an easier time cutting the distance against a much, much longer guy
-No haymakers, lots of straight punches.

Or maybe my opponent just sucked really bad :[

I'm sure there are other things. and you guys will probably be kind enough to tear me to pieces here so I can get better :D

This was the final of a series of events to pick out our national team for the WAKO South American Championships in december.

Low kicks rules, 2x2' rds, Welterweight division (67kg)

Also, for your time, enjoy:

318309_2345794897129_1617739714_2358055_62530382_n.jpg

You did good it looks like your gaining confidence but some things I noticed were your leg kicks were easily telegraphed and if he was good enough he could have exploited that you left your self open by lunging a couple times and you had that guy backing up you should have pressed him more and you might could have gotten a finish you hit him good also torward the end you had you hands low. Your movement was good hard to hit try try to jab then leg kick if your wanting to low kick or if he throws a jab duck a little inside leg kick then a right hand. I'm a red and black belt kickboxer got it last yr at 16 should get my black belt after I turn 18 maybe but were allowed to do high kicks also do mma and use some of that. instead of standing straight up try bending your knees a little overall your pretty good and how was that a split decision you clearly won I would have knocked him out.

Thanks a lot man. As I said I noticed the telegraphing of leg kicks, and that first front kick had me disheartened for most of the 1st. Won't happen again.

Come on, 300 views and only 2 posts? :icon_neut bring it!

You did well didnt much wrong technique wise also you could have circled him more and picked your angles and attacked try working your jab lead with it and work off of it and be the aggressor take the center if the ring and back the other guy up stay on the ball of your feet more if you get more experience and confidence in your abilities and continue to improve you'll be a dangerous opponent that would be difficult to beat.
Thanks a lot man. As I said I noticed the telegraphing of leg kicks, and that first front kick had me disheartened for most of the 1st. Won't happen again.

Come on, 300 views and only 2 posts? :icon_neut bring it!

Alright, since you guilted me into it...

Congrats first of all. He held his hands (esp his left hand) reeeally low, you were doing a pretty good job staying aggressive moving forward throwing punches, maybe you could have found a better home for those low kicks if you had thrown a couple punches up top to get him to cover up and then stepped through with the kick. Also, he turned away from you several times in the fight (probably cost him on the scorecards), and you let up when he did, you could have easily hit him with a good low or middle kick to punish him for turning his back without risking an illegal blow.

I know it's a bit harder as the shorter fighter to land kicks on the taller fighter, but they score rather highly in kickboxing, so keep working at it especially since those punches of yours are going to open up the guys body and legs!

You would get schooled by a technically sound fighter. Punches are too wild and start from your waist.
No footwork either, causing you to lean forward with punches instead or stepping in.

Also, he turned away from you several times in the fight (probably cost him on the scorecards), and you let up when he did, you could have easily hit him with a good low or middle kick to punish him for turning his back without risking an illegal blow.

Thanks man. I let him up because I was catching his kicks out of reflex. That's why I'm considering switching to K-1. I can't help it.

You would get schooled by a technically sound fighter. Punches are too wild and start from your waist.
No footwork either, causing you to lean forward with punches instead or stepping in.

Thanks a lot. This is what I wanted to read. Normally my footwork is at least decent, but the leaning in I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. I started working on it today. Again, thank you.

Keep it coming guys. All pointers are welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back