[VID] My second amatuer fight [10/03/07]

HAHA you totally embarrassed that guy in the second fight. Not being able to carry on in an amateur fight after a few seconds! Bet he's walking round with a paper bag on his head now.

Criticism - dude your stance is far too wide, especially when you jab-cross. You might have a lot of power in your punches, but if I was in a fight with you i'd try and kill your legs with inside thigh kicks, which you're leaving yourself vulnerable to.

Yeah, the stance... That's something i was originally working on but kind of let go recently. I think its definitely possible for someone to exploit it with inside leg kicks... but maybe i could put my hands on them from that range... what do you think? Also, i am training for MMA and thus a wide stance can be useful for defending shots... then again its easier for them to go for single legs.

Thoughts?

Damn! Nice job. Agreed on the stance, other than that, it was over pretty fast so not much else to go on.

Yeah, the stance... That's something i was originally working on but kind of let go recently. I think its definitely possible for someone to exploit it with inside leg kicks... but maybe i could put my hands on them from that range... what do you think? Also, i am training for MMA and thus a wide stance can be useful for defending shots... then again its easier for them to go for single legs.

Thoughts?

Actually your line of thinking isn't bad at all on this. Wide stance is typical of counter-punchers, who are ALWAYS dangerous and a terrible threat to anyone who comes in sloppy. If you can brawl a bit as well you'll be a terror if you perfect using the wide stance. Good footwork can get you away from leg-kicks so I'd work on that if you want to keep using the wide stance. But if you've got good power, decent footwork, good timing and accuracy, you'll knock a lot of mufuckas out before they can wear you down with leg-kicks.

It'll look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1JwB0rQ_s

Yeah i love those shorts too, very durable!

Actually your line of thinking isn't bad at all on this. Wide stance is typical of counter-punchers, who are ALWAYS dangerous and a terrible threat to anyone who comes in sloppy. If you can brawl a bit as well you'll be a terror if you perfect using the wide stance. Good footwork can get you away from leg-kicks so I'd work on that if you want to keep using the wide stance. But if you've got good power, decent footwork, good timing and accuracy, you'll knock a lot of mufuckas out before they can wear you down with leg-kicks.

It'll look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1JwB0rQ_s

Geeeezus! That was brutal. Thanks for your comments, they resonate.

Check out more of Eubank's fights. He's the epitomy of what you're looking to accomplish. There's quite a bit of them on Youtube. The first fight with Nigel Benn is AMAZING. I've never seen a fighter (Eubank) keep another fighter (Benn) tentative and afraid to throw...by being tentative and afraid to throw, but LOOKING frightening.

Alex Bon-Miller said:

Thoughts?

Well if i was you I'd defintitely work on your stance. You might get away with it with some fighters but thats because too many kickboxers today don't train on the basics enough. One day you'll fight a good technical thai-boxer who is going to exploit that. And I wouldn't count on your wide stance protecting you from shots, an experienced wrestler isn't going to let that hinder him.

Eh. So how exactly is it that changing his stance is going to help? Because your basic point is:

"Sooner or later you're going to come across someone better than you."

That always happens regardless. His stance is significant of possibly a different style. If he's got the same approach as everyone on a general level, he'll have the same weaknesses as everyone as well, and it becomes a simple formula to take that apart. IMO fighters should fight to what accentuates their strengths while learning to compensate for their weaknesses, but not necessarily by changing their basic format completely. There's answers to the weaknesses that don't necessitate that. And still someday they'll come across someone who just has their number.

Nice job. You were wearing him down and I like the stance. Keep working on your footwork and pick your counters and you can pick your opponents apart.

Alex Bon-Miller said:
Hi guys, i had my second amature fight at tristar gym in montreal... it was muay thai.
Here is the video...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5342657879201386535&hl=en-CA

and my first fight video if yer interested....

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-947733264077703997&q=alex+bon+miller&hl=en-CA

Any criticism will be appreciated.

Alex

i LOVE the straight right hand. You throw in nice...right from the chin The quicker the better and the let the power come. Good stuff...I wouldnt mind seeing the next fight. Good Luck Alex

Congradulations, your footwork will get better with experience. But still not bad though.

Looks alright other than the stance but others have commented on it already, Realy too short to see too many errors, The first fight you could see more corrections to be made. By the way what weight class are you in?

wow, way to end both those fights quick. you've got some vicious fists. props.

besides the wide leg thing... the bigger issue I see is your hands being pretty low... if you come up against a fast kicker... watch out.. especially someone who can whip it over and down onto your jaw... like this.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7dwIt2gR8Y watch the KO at 2:00... and he even had his hands up...

plus if you keep your hands up a little higher you will punch a little harder and with less telegraph...

both of your fights were pretty much bosing matches with some leg kicks thrown in... wait till you go up against a good fast kicker... a whole different world...

Best,

kokoro

Back