[Video] Black teen shot in the back by police

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.theroot.com/video-va-cop-shot-black-teenager-in-the-back-as-teen-1825510114

This happened back in October but the video was just released this month to the suspect's defense attorney.

On Oct. 29, Portsmouth, Va., Police Officer Jeremy Durocher responded to a burglary call and found Deontrace Ward allegedly burglarizing the home, according to the Virginian-Pilot.

The video begins with Durocher’s gun already drawn. As soon as he spots Ward, Durocher begins opening fire. Apparently gifted with extrasensory perception, Durocher yells, “He has a gun!” as he pursues Ward, shooting an additional three times.

When Ward is felled by the gunshots and handcuffed by other officers, who cannot find a gun, Durocher continues to insist that the subject waved a gun.

Police say they found a .45-caliber handgun in Ward’s pants between his knees and ankles. The 18-year-old, who still has a bullet lodged in his abdomen, says that he never pointed the gun or had it in his hands during the altercation. “I was just pretty much trying to get away. Showing no aggression,” he told the Virginian-Pilot.

Police refused to release the video on the grounds that there was an ongoing investigation. Ward’s defense attorneys finally obtained a copy of it in early April and released it to the family and the public.
Ward has been in jail since the incident and is set to stand trial May 1 on charges that include armed burglary, assault of a police officer and possession of a weapon by a felon. Ward was found guilty of felony theft when he was 17.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/24/video-shows-cop-shooting-armed-suspect-as-he-runs-away/
Durocher’s attorney, meanwhile, claims the shooting was “absolutely justified,” without reservation,” citing Ward’s visible weapon as he exited a home where he stole jewelry, according to court documents.
“The suspect was armed, had burglarized a home and was clearly a danger and a threat in that regard,” attorney Nicholas Renninger told the Virginian-Pilot. “I have no qualms whatsoever in saying that my client’s actions in protecting himself and those around him were justified.”
Durocher was placed on administrative duty following the shooting. Portsmouth Police Chief Tonya Chapman declined to comment on the video, as well as Ward’s public defender, the Virginian-Pilot reports.

Rookie cop was hysterical, dude prob needs more training. To the kid's credit, there was no gun shown in the video so it was just his word against the cop. They didn't find the gun in the video but did end up finding it later in his pants. Toward the end of the video:

Another female officer confiscates Durocher’s sidearm, telling him she had to do it. A second later, a male officer takes Durocher’s gun from the woman and gives Durocher another gun, explaining, “He’s got to have one.”

What do you think? Justified?

Shouldn't have had a gun. Everyone knows it's illegal and punishable by death for a black person to own a gun.

Also, shouldn't have ran from the cops. Everyone knows it's punishable by death for a black person to run from the cops.

Also, shouldn't have committed burglary. Everyone knows it's punishable by death for a black person to burgle.

Psh, rookie. The guy being shot in the back, that is.

Video does NOT have the quality required to see if the gun was visible or not. Considering they found a gun on the perp, I'd say it was justified unless there is something to suggest otherwise.

Are people really acting as if this video proves the cop couldn't see a gun?

When did he assault a police officer? I see he is being charged with assault.

DEONTRACE?!?!?! ....anyways, sucks to be dead .
Making fun of black names is hilarious! It's not like Anglo-Saxon names don't seem silly just because we're used to them.

that was a good shot. Not saying it was a good shoot, haven't looked that far into it.

if he can articulate why he did it, then he'll get off. If our young hero was threatening in any way with his weapon, then shooting him in the back wouldn't be a problem. Also what happened before the shooting and was it reasonable to believe he would have been a danger to others if he escaped, etc....you know the drill by now.

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force.

— Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

Last edited:
When did he assault a police officer? I see he is being charged with assault.
Could be before the video, could be that heuristically speaking for a black man to look at a cop SHOULd be considered assault.

Making fun of black names is hilarious! It's not like Anglo-Saxon names don't seem silly just because we're used to them.
Yeah it is hilarious . I agree . Not just cause they’re black though. I find the name Benedict , Wayland , Mortimer and Barthalomew hilarious too and I’ve yet to meet a black guy with those names .

Could be before the video, could be that heuristically speaking for a black man to look at a cop SHOULd be considered assault.

More identity politics. You guys will make ANYTHING about race

Well I for one absolutely take the word of the felon who got besmirched attempting to further damage society, and who was actually armed as it turns out, over that of the public servant trying to do his job

Some of them are actually funny tho

My brother was doing rounds in the NICU and there was a baby born premature and crack addicted, his name was SEXAY HANSUMNESS

If you can't see the humor in that then I don't know what to tell you other than you might have some kind of emotional problem

Back