(video) Gegard Mousasi on Rory MacDonald "Style wise its a good fight for me"

Yes and no.

Gegard is super skilled, but so is Rory. Imo Rory is actually one of the best WW’s ever although he hasn’t accomplished as much as some others in terms of belts but competition wise, Skill wise, etc, he’s incredible.

Very interested in this. I won’t be surprised at all if Rory outclasses him or the other way around. We’ll see what happens, ese’s.

Rory is one of the best in the world at WW

Same goes for Moose at MW

There's weight classes for a reason, maybe I forgot how wide Rory's back is, maybe it's disgustingly big like Brazilian Cowboy, but Moose is way bigger than Rory at least his frame is, iirc

I don't like this fight for Rory anywhere

Edited to add:

Rory and Moose both have a reliable jab (when in constant use) and seem to fight comfortably (enough at least) in whichever stance they find themselves in, including shifting between long linear stances, squared wide stances and the middle stance.

The thing is, all this adaptability and versatility of Rory might not help him do much more than survive, and I'm not confident in Rory's ability to sink in a choke or pull off any sort of sub on Moose if Gegard is perfectly healthy enough to go all out.

Gegard has the strength, speed, power, game gritty veteran who's still at or around the top of his game advantage. Now the striking speed advantage may be slight, but not when Gegard smells blood it isn't. Off the top of my head, Gegard can throw at least 3 to 4 coffin nails per second when he smells blood while throwing ground and pound, maybe even when standing and his opponent is against the cage. That may not be fast in boxing, but it is in MMA where some fighters don't feel completely comfortable throwing 100%.

What advantage does Rory have that isn't likely to be negated at all? Chain wrestling? Both have great groundgames, Rory's looks a little better but that's against WWs not named Gegard Mousasi who has fought at LHW and fought HWs.

I like Rory, but I don't expect Rory to be saying he doesn't regret taking this fight like he did when Robbie turned him into that kid from Mask.

I'm probably wrong, he just might say that shit tbh, because Red King never dies and certainly never has and never will give any sort of fucks about nothing.

Last edited:
Both are extremely skilled. Gegard is considerably larger and stronger than Rory, so I lean towards Moose.

This fight 100% belongs in the heavies - true superfight. As a Mousasi supporter- 2 things I'm concerned with, overconfidence and this bullshit that Rory isn't coming in gaining too much weight.In fact, him going out of the way to say that-:I'd have him tested.

Itd be downright negligible by Rory and team to come in and give the already better fighter a significant weight advantage.It makes no sense.
Gegard, trust your friend Franklin U.- have this boy tested. I smell something and it's not pleasant .

Easy money on moose.
Everyone is still forgetting about Rorys nose.
We will have some great new pictures after this fight.

Last edited:
Moose all the way rorys good but moose is on a different level at a higher weight class..

Not tomany id pick to beat moose rory eh still hard to decide but theres alot of wws who can stop him.

inb4 move to worldwide
Meh. I don't mind letting a thread get some traction before moving it to the proper forum.

Anyway, Rory will be on the Helwani show later today. I'll put up a thread in a bit.

This fight 100% belongs in the heavies - true superfight. As a Mousasi supporter- 2 things I'm concerned with, overconfidence and this bullshit that Rory isn't coming in gaining too much weight.In fact, him going out of the way to say that-:I'd have him tested.

Itd be downright negligible by Rory and team to come in and give the already better fighter a significant weight advantage.It makes no sense.
Gegard, trust your friend Franklin U.- have this boy tested. I smell something and it's not pleasant .
Fortunately Rory got clean reputation . But.
I was thinking why is Rory so confident in this bout where he loses in every aspect of mma on paper . You could hear from Rory's interview how he sees this fight as a overwhelming challenge . But the fighter woudn't be succesful if recklessness was always his trait of character . So what is his strategy ? Does he see something what we can't do ? I am really intrigued what is the idea from Rory .

Style wise I'm not sure Moose really has an advantage. Rory is a disciplined striker with solid grappling ability. Not exactly Moose's bread and butter. However, Moose is a large MW who has fought plenty at 205. Rory is a large WW. That seems to be the much larger advantage.

this is definitely a good fight for gegard. look at rorys losses. they are to strikers that have a slight edge on him. i think gegard is not only a slight notch above standing but hes bigger.

Moose all the way rorys good but moose is on a different level at a higher weight class..

Not tomany id pick to beat moose rory eh still hard to decide but theres alot of wws who can stop him.

Not being a dick, pure curiosity here: alot of WWs can beat Rory or alot of WWs can beat Moose?

I'm surprised you said what you said either way. I wouldn't pick against either of them all that often enough to confidently claim alot could beat either of them.

Is he crying? He's usually crying.

Does he actually say something that's not a complaint in this vid?

Even though Mousasi will drop fights he shouldn't here and there it is still hard to bet against him. He has all the tools to beat anybody at the same weight.

I think Rory is the best WW in the world. I think Mousasi is a top 5 MW. If it's fought at WW I favor Rory because I think Mousasi would be a depleted version of himself (like bobby knuckles) but the fight would take place at MW and I think it's anyone's fight there. Rory is just so damn tough he can take shot after shot and not slow down unless you put him to sleep.

Could go either way. Odds on Mous but I wouldn't want to put money down.

this is definitely a good fight for gegard. look at rorys losses. they are to strikers that have a slight edge on him. i think gegard is not only a slight notch above standing but hes bigger.

i agree nice points

I think Rory's gonna have his nose busted again

Tough sob calling out bigger Gegard

Back