[VIDEO] How to REVERSE a Waist lock INTO KIMURA Sakuraba style!

PolskiGhost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
[YT]_RTAmZTQ8LQ[/YT]

Courtesy of Submission Radio's Technique of the Week

Pretty hard to hit a sumi gaeshi if you telegraph it.

You're supposed to bring your leg up at the same time as you bring your arse down, not before. I liked it apart from that though.

I don't like to critique videos like this, cause who the fuck am I, right?

But I like this move a lot and the video is posted so....... Here goes.

1. You stand that straight up and down while someone has a body lock on you like that and you my friend are going for one hell of a ride!!!!!!! Sag those hips son!!!

2. He attacks the DWL or Kimura grip without breaking his opponents grip, which is ok, but again, if you don't sag the hips a bit to create some space there to sneak your arm under his it's going to be real tough to get inside for the DWL.

3. He shows once you have the DWL locked up to "bump your butt back into your opponent"? I've always been taught to sag hips, press my shoulders back while bringing walking my hips forward and away from my opponent, pressing down and away to break the body lock. This move works a lot better if you have broken the body lock grip before you attack with the kimura.

If you bump your butt back into him, you are exposing your hips and legs to your opponent...........

4. There are different thoughts of school on the actual sweep, some people just use the DWL/Kimura grip and torque on it to manipulate there opponent to the ground. Others turn in, butterfly hook, sit/roll/elevate. Either is fine IMO and both have there advantages.

Overall I would say its a pretty poor technical video for this move and if someone was to learn this move solely from this video they are going to be slammed hard after a high altitude throw, or driven forward into the mat on there face after but bumping there opponent and will have a hell of time trying to sneak there arm under the body lock to get the DWL/Kimura.

Last edited:
Here are a couple vids of Schultz doing it. First move of the first video & then a short clip of it in slow mo.

[YT]nYKMJjzkQ14&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

[YT]mhTqKePonjg[/YT]

I don't like to critique videos like this, cause who the fuck am I, right?

But I like this move a lot and the video is posted so....... Here goes.

1. You stand that straight up and down while someone has a body lock on you like that and you my friend are going for one hell of a ride!!!!!!! Sag those hips son!!!

2. He attacks the DWL or Kimura grip without breaking his opponents grip, which is ok, but again, if you don't sag the hips a bit to create some space there to sneak your arm under his it's going to be real tough to get inside for the DWL.

3. He shows once you have the DWL locked up to "bump your butt back into your opponent"? I've always been taught to sag hips, press my shoulders back while bringing walking my hips forward and away from my opponent, pressing down and away to break the body lock. This move works a lot better if you have broken the body lock grip before you attack with the kimura.

If you bump your butt back into him, you are exposing your hips and legs to your opponent...........

4. There are different thoughts of school on the actual sweep, some people just use the DWL/Kimura grip and torque on it to manipulate there opponent to the ground. Others turn in, butterfly hook, sit/roll/elevate. Either is fine IMO and both have there advantages.

Overall I would say its a pretty poor technical video for this move and if someone was to learn this move solely from this video they are going to be slammed hard after a high altitude throw, or driven forward into the mat on there face after but bumping there opponent and will have a hell of time trying to sneak there arm under the body lock to get the DWL/Kimura.

Actually I really appreciate the input. Definitely good tips and things too keep in mind for the future. Cheers!

Back