[Video] Maia shows forbidden submission

Furiosozen

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
in BJJ and ADCC tournaments (but not in MMA):

It's a variation of a neck crank. You can do that before or after the sweep:

Edit: He explains you can try that if you realize you're not going to finish the usual guillotine. Unfortunately, the video is in portuguese and without subtitles. But you get the tap applying strong pressure on opponent's occipital region.

Last edited:
in BJJ and ADCC tournaments (but not in MMA):

It's a variation of a neck crank. You can do that before or after the sweep:

Edit: He explains you can try that if you realize you're not going to finish the usual guillotine. Unfortunately, the video is in portuguese and without subtitles. But you get the tap applying strong pressure on opponent's occipital region.

It offered French subtitles, and fortunately I know some French so I was able to follow a little bit. He would talk for awhile though and no subtitles showed up for most of it, however.

That looks like it could be really painful. BJJ is meant to find painful/damaging positions forcing your opponent to tap; it's surprising some moves like that would be illegal and you're not even biting them or trying to stick your fingers in their eyes or anything.

That's...quite cool, far from being complicated and seems effective.

I can easily imagine Maia tapping out a lot of people with this by faking a guillotine.

I can see the neck crank finish being illegal, but the sweep also? I do this occasionally. We call it the 100% because once you lock it in, it's virtually impossible for them to escape at least the sweep if not the neck crank finish as well.

I've done that sweep before, not sure if it's necessarily illegal, maybe if the opponent bullshits and taps during the sweep

Might be a long shot, but can somebody describe the move? I have youtube blocked at work -.-

The Catch Wrestlers use all kinds of similar moves. You can hit something very similar from side mount. You come in under the head with the hand/arm closest to their head, grab under their arm pit and drive into them. If you opponent has a high pain tolerance, their arms are still trapped so you reach over with your other hand, pull the elbow into their body and push up, very similar to a Russian Keylock.

[YT]5O4Ai5f_Stc&playnext=1&list=PLC94B03BA7E289EC2&feature=results_video[/YT]

that looks incredibly painful, must come on very very quickly.

This is a pretty old school neck crank, guys. I was taught it as a sweep/submission circa 2004 at an MMA gym, and have seen it taught at least two other BJJ schools since. Doesn't mean it's not a good technique, but nothing ground breaking here...

PointyShinyBurn and 100%Jiu-Jitsu, you guys are wacked!!! its a catch wrestlers move!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im gonna cut it out here, dont wanna get banned....the "catch wrestler" has some friends...

Ps: its a crucifix, there are tons of way to apply a crufix....although this one seems awesome, good way to attack once the guillotine has failed.

This is a good move, but I didn't realize it was so unusual. It's illegal in a lot of rules, but as far as neck cranks go, the cattle catch (or crucifix) is fairly standard, especially off a failed guillotine.

Back