Video of Raquel Pennington's corner after RD 4

you keep talking about regrets. what if she ended up with permanent damage that made the rest of her life a fucking nightmare, a living hell of pain and confusion.

this is a sport. this does not validate your existence. this is just a minor stage in her life.

do you think Ali had regrets about letting George Foreman beat on him for 7 rounds as he sat at home, unable to move or speak?

a coach is supposed to think in 3 dimensions, analyze before, during, and after a fighter's career. he's supposed to be wise and most of all, loving towards his fighter. that's why they have the authority to throw the towel.

ggg-kell-brook-towel.jpg

here is Kell Brook's corner throwing the towel in the 5th round of a 12 round fight because Kell's eye was shutting up and he was taking damage.

these assholes tonight were not wise caretakers, they were 'just bleed' bouncers telling a fighter to 'push through' and 'reocer after'. motherfucker recover after what? did you not see 20 minutes of that fight?

I 100% see where you are coming from and you are right. It’s just a tough situation because I can also see the counter argument.

Rocky took some permanent damage in that final round.

No one knows Rocky better than herself.

Corner should have been firm and asked her “Are you sure? You may regret this because you still have a chance but regardless, I will support you and your decision”

If she still say I’m done, that’s it. But in a title fight, I feel that the corner should at least ask her to reconsider once then support their decision

I have fought and coached in boxing.
I know a bit about this.
Coaches do not always get it right, there are plenty of examples you can find of coaches giving absolutely horrible advice. This has little to do with "knowing your fighter", there's a stupid culture in combat sports that will prefer a fighter get their ass beat over tapping, for no other reason than bro pride points.

Rocky was done. She had no path to victory. She was getting battered on the feet, and striking is supposed to be her specialty. Her nose was broken and she was already mentally defeated. She was done, and a good coach should have seen that. He was worried more about her future regrets , pride, and championship, when he should have been worried about her safety.
Lol at "we'll recover later" Garbage. If it was a close fight, and she had to stick it out a bit more to possibly get the win, that'd be one thing, but it wasn't. It was an unnecessary beating

exactly.
apparently every fighter-trainer relationship is some mystical bond like Luke-Yoda, or Mr.Miygai-Daniel-san. lol. most trainers have multiple fighters and they are not closely linked to all of them. they have maybe one or two very close fighters, the rest ae just paychecks. these guys wanted that extra win bonus money cut

Ok..so why didnt she just not fight the 5th.. Why didnt she just park herself on the stool .. Why did she change her im done to i want to be done.. U dont think maybe she was fishing for some encouragement or guidance?
It is embarrassing to have to admit defeat. You think she's just going to be like "I WANT TO QUIT. FUCK THIS" ? She is an athlete. No one wants to forfeit or give up.
She was not looking for encouragement. She was looking for help to get out of the fight.
She doesn't want to let her team down though as well, so she's not going to gleefully announce her throwing in the towel.

It's up-to the corner to protect their fighter. They didn't

I 100% see where you are coming from and you are right. It’s just a tough situation because I can also see the counter argument.

Rocky took some permanent damage in that final round.

No one knows Rocky better than herself.

Corner should have been firm and asked her “Are you sure? You may regret this because you still have a chance but regardless, I will support you and your decision”

If she still say I’m done, that’s it. But in a title fight, I feel that the corner should at least ask her to reconsider once then support their decision

they weren't asking her questions. they were blatantly lying to her about her performances, her chances, and were giving her zero technical advice on how to get the victory. if they asked her questions about her desire, how much she wants it, and she recovered her will to fight, that's one thing. this looked like peer pressure.

It is embarrassing to have to admit defeat. You think she's just going to be like "I WANT TO QUIT. FUCK THIS" ? She is an athlete. No one wants to forfeit or give up.
She was not looking for encouragement. She was looking for help to get out of the fight.
She doesn't want to let her team down though as well, so she's not going to gleefully announce her throwing in the towel.

It's up-to the corner to protect their fighter. They didn't

Dude, if you want to quit fighting your not worrying about embarrasing yourself..your thinking about getting out no matter what..its so easy in hindsight to talk about this but in the moment it comes down to the corner knowing there fighter something we will never know

There is no shame in admitting it is not going to be your day and living to fight another day. Fans act like it is, but it isn’t. The greatest fighters of all time have tapped out and decided it was not their day. It happened to everyone.

I have fought and coached in boxing.
I know a bit about this.
Coaches do not always get it right, there are plenty of examples you can find of coaches giving absolutely horrible advice. This has little to do with "knowing your fighter", there's a stupid culture in combat sports that will prefer a fighter get their ass beat over tapping, for no other reason than bro pride points.

Rocky was done. She had no path to victory. She was getting battered on the feet, and striking is supposed to be her specialty. Her nose was broken and she was already mentally defeated. She was done, and a good coach should have seen that. He was worried more about her future regrets , pride, and championship, when he should have been worried about her safety.
Lol at "we'll recover later" Garbage. If it was a close fight, and she had to stick it out a bit more to possibly get the win, that'd be one thing, but it wasn't. It was an unnecessary beating

Its totaly possible but i didnt get that feeling from watching it.. I also train/coach and fight in martials myself ..theres a segment of the corner we dont get to see but by the time we come back raquel seems completely different then when she first says im done or wants to be done..so who knows ehat happend inbetween

Dude, if you want to quit fighting your not worrying about embarrasing yourself..your thinking about getting out no matter what..its so easy in hindsight to talk about this but in the moment it comes down to the corner knowing there fighter something we will never know

shame is a huge blow to the ego. the ego protects itself. her verbal gymnastics were ego saving. she wanted her corner to help her cross the bridge. a dying person will reach out and hold the hand of another person. she was reaching out, but no one wanted to help her.

They should have ended it right there honestly.
Yeah. They saw how she stacked up against the champ. She didn't have enough for her. Take that lesson, as coaches, and help your fighter improve. They didn't even give any technical advice, and she just went and got her blood spilled.
Poor corner work.

Uh, nobody would criticize them for calling the fight after their fighter said she was done. The only time they would be criticized is if the fighter wanted to continue and they overruled the fighter. But even then, a lot of people would commend them for looking out for their fighter even when their fighter is too tough for their own good.
Uh, you clearly just post a shit ton on here judging by your post count, but don't actually read posts lmao. We got ya bud lmao

0.14 mark shes the one talking saying i can see it..u can her voice through her mouth piece and swollen nose..
It's another male coach with a higher-pitched voice. I'm listening with headphones and the volume turned up. He clearly says "You see everything she's throwing, you see that! You see everything!" The coach with the lower-pitched voice then says "Come on, girl. I know it hurts. I know it hurts. Let's power through this. Let's power through this, let's believe. Alright? Change your mindset, change your mindset. Let's just throw everything we've got. Throw everything we've got. Alright? We'll recover later, we'll recover later. Throw everything we've got. Okay?"

That's the exact sequence verbatim, trust me. I went over this very carefully with headphones at high volume and I stopped and started repeatedly to quote everything correctly.

<36>
Lol are you speaking from experience?
Something tells me you're speaking from YouTube videos.

We're not talking about a street fight here. We're talking professional fighters. You are most definitely thinking about embarrassing yourself, your team, and family.
As another poster just mentioned, this isn't the movies. The coach/fighter relationship is not at all always this father/son shit you see in the movies. There are terrible coaches, there are coaches that just milk fighters for money, unqualified coaches, just bleed warrior coached, etc.
When a fighter says multiple times they are done, they are done . I don't need to know anything about the relationship between the fighter and the coach to know that

they weren't asking her questions. they were blatantly lying to her about her performances, her chances, and were giving her zero technical advice on how to get the victory. if they asked her questions about her desire, how much she wants it, and she recovered her will to fight, that's one thing. this looked like peer pressure.

100% corner was shit but I think we can both agree that the best way to go about this situation was to give her the run down and have her make a decision.

This should happen only once and be firm. No counter arguments, nothing more, nothing less.

Rocky shouldn’t have to say I’m done 5x.

At the very most, she should have said it 2x. The initial statement-> ask her to reconsider-> if she still feels that way, that it

Uh, you clearly just post a shit ton on here judging by your post count, but don't actually read posts lmao. We got ya bud lmao
My posts per day is actually relatively low, and yeah, I read posts. If you want to actually point out what I got wrong, go ahead. But this was basically an empty post.

100% corner was shit but I think we can both agree that the best way to go about this situation was to give her the run down and have her make a decision.

This should happen only once and be firm. No counter arguments, nothing more, nothing less.

Rocky shouldn’t have to say I’m done 5x.

At the very most, she should have said it 2x. The initial statement-> ask her to reconsider-> if she still feels that way, that it

that i can agree with.
All of them going 'no, no, no, no' like this was some horrible or surprising/shocking event is unprofessional. as a coacj, you should be anticipating your fighter breaking mentally if they are losing and taking damage.

poor coaches. i'd immediately move camp if I were a fighter training with them

There is no shame in admitting it is not going to be your day and living to fight another day. Fans act like it is, but it isn’t. The greatest fighters of all time have tapped out and decided it was not their day. It happened to everyone.

But this is an entirely different situation. This is not a “live to fight another day” kind of fight. This was a life changing title fight.

All it would have taken was one shot to land and Rocky’s life would be changed forever.

She had a 9-6 record and not really marketable. She was never gonna get another shot

That's tough, because had they have thrown in the towel, there would be critism, it really is a no win for anyone on that side
No. Who's gonna knock a corner for respecting the fighter's wishes? She clearly had no way to win the fight, and could have at least left with a lesson to grow on. Now she just got brutalized after trying to quit. Instead of just self doubt that maybe could have been largely addressed with coaching, she also has good reason to doubt her coaches.

My posts per day is actually relatively low, and yeah, I read posts. If you want to actually point out what I got wrong, go ahead. But this was basically an empty post.
Less posting, more reading. Welcome kiddo.

Back