[VIDEO] The 4 Half-Guard Sweeps everyone should know

codemonkey76

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hi guys, filmed this last night for my students thought you guys would appreciate it, it's an oldie, but a goodie.

Sweep 1 - Foot Grab Sweep

EDIT:
OK, did some more filming last night and got the other 3 in the series, these 4 sweeps are the fundamental half-guard sweeps that we teach at my school.

Sweep 2 - Opponent drives forward to defend Sweep 1

Sweep 3 - Use the underhook to take the back
Sweep 4 - Opponent defends the backtake by whizzering

Last edited:
good video.

excellent basic sweep that everyone should know from hg.

There is a series I teach from half-guard consisting of 4 basic sweeps that everyone should know, the next 3 will be coming next week.

I just learned sweeps 3 and 4 a week ago. nice vids

man i wish i can pull off sweep 2, the hard part for me is moving my hips underneath them to sweep them for that move because all their weight is on me.

man i wish i can pull off sweep 2, the hard part for me is moving my hips underneath them to sweep them for that move because all their weight is on me.

The trick for sweep number 2, is to move your hips underneath them, then you don't need to lift their weight, if you try to drag them overtop of you it will be difficult for someone heavy on you, but because you just move your hips under their center of gravity, it makes it suprisingly easy

I like the Old School but it's taught as a basic beginner half guard sweep when actually it's one of the most technical ones there is. Quite an advanced move in my opinion.

One of the tricks to getting in deep and getting the foot that I'd like to add is after you hug your head close to his hip, gable grip around the thigh (right under the butt) of his other leg which is trapped in your half guard, and bump him forward so he tips forward and has to post his hands on the mat to catch himself. This takes his weight off his legs which lets you get deeper and makes it much easier for you to reach his foot and trap it with your arms. Then when he shifts his weight backward again to compensate, he's actually helping you sweep him.

I like the Old School but it's taught as a basic beginner half guard sweep when actually it's one of the most technical ones there is. Quite an advanced move in my opinion.

One of the tricks to getting in deep and getting the foot that I'd like to add is after you hug your head close to his hip, gable grip around the thigh (right under the butt) of his other leg which is trapped in your half guard, and bump him forward so he tips forward and has to post his hands on the mat to catch himself. This takes his weight off his legs which lets you get deeper and makes it much easier for you to reach his foot and trap it with your arms. Then when he shifts his weight backward again to compensate, he's actually helping you sweep him.

I don't mean basic as in basic, I mean basic as in fundamental. if that makes sense.

Great instruction! Some good tips on how to get the foot grab sweep. I'm definitely not getting deep enough, since I'm actually watching my hand try to grab the foot my head is clearly not buried in his hip. I've also never been able to pass off the foot to my underhooked arm, so maybe with getting that deep it will become possible.

Do you find that when doing this sweep live, you have to dive under and grab the foot all in one go? From my experience people see it coming and extend their leg.

Thanks for the vids Codemonkey! :D

I've also never been able to pass off the foot to my underhooked arm, so maybe with getting that deep it will become possible.
Make sure you're reaching round his thigh with your underhook low. A lot of the time people can't do it because they're trying to go all the way across his lower back.

Make sure you're reaching round his thigh with your underhook low. A lot of the time people can't do it because they're trying to go all the way across his lower back.

This, also use your top leg as a pendulum to sit yourself into him to help you reach around his leg.

Do you find that when doing this sweep live, you have to dive under and grab the foot all in one go? From my experience people see it coming and extend their leg.

Thanks for the vids Codemonkey! :D

No, cos I am under there anyway rocking back and forth, it's a quick switch from underhooking the leg to grabbing the toes under the shin

Great videos Codemonkey, there are some money details in there. The more I see people showing their half sweeps, the more I think half guard is the most individualized game in jiu jistu. This and passing.
Anyway, I know you have most of your matches on youtube and if I remember you are more of a butterfly/x-guard player with an nasty triangle and flower sweep from closed guard, do you have some hg sweeps in competition?

Back