Video : The Beginning: The True Story of UFC 1 - Preview

So we can just start saying Arm Barbarian named the UFC right?

I’m a new mma fan but damn when I saw Royce’s 11-0 win streak all submissions my jaw dropped I feel like new mma fans don’t understand what he went through to get those wins
Especially in his fights against Dan Severn and Kimo.

Wow, talk about a nostalgic moment in time.

The very first UFC that set it all off - Bare knuckles, no rounds, no time limits.

Royces older brother, and the brainchild behind the inception of the UFC, Rorion Gracie gives commentary on the event.

I remember watching this live on PPV, and going absolutely bonkers when Royce beat Shamrock.

Good times....

Real question, I obv believe you were actually around then, but I have to ask, if you were rolling and training with the guys, why didn’t you go to Denver with the crew instead of staying back in the South Bay and watching on tv?

I remember as a kid my dad would rent the early UFC events on VHS, so I was exposed to MMA (NHB at the time) very early on. I wasn't really a hardcore fan until Mo Smith, Vitor Belfort, Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutter and a few others came along. I was about 12 years old when I saw UFC 1 on VHS. I saw Royce in a Gi and thought he was some kind of Karate guy and when I saw him use grappling I was confused as fuck, lol. And when he beat Dan Severn I shit my pants. Severn was flinging guys around like they weren't shit. I was sure he was gonna kill Royce.

My immediate thought pattern was, I need to go to Brazil for a few years when I get older, lol.

Real question, I obv believe you were actually around then, but I have to ask, if you were rolling and training with the guys, why didn’t you go to Denver with the crew instead of staying back in the South Bay and watching on tv?

I didn't have the money to make the trip. lol

Back