[VIDEO] The Vale Tudo Era (Bare-Knuckle Days)

I remember back in 96 or 97 me and some friends i worked with ordered a few Brazillian Vale Tudo Vhs tapes. They were brutal. One fight they put the camera on the crowd and there were about 100 people fighting in the stands. I also remember a fighter crawling outta the ring and the crowd throwing him back in there. LOL was crazy stuff. Pele vs Patino 1 was a fight on one of the tapes. Damn I wonder what happened to those tapes.

Fuck yeah!

This is the one I've been looking for... The shit he puts this guy in at 1.29 is amazing.

His name is Erik Paulson. His name is Erik Paulson.

Chronically underrated and forgotten 90s fighter.

Damn! RIP knee. Awesome!

I wonder how this techniques would work in today's MMA.

I remember back in 96 or 97 me and some friends i worked with ordered a few Brazillian Vale Tudo Vhs tapes. They were brutal. One fight they put the camera on the crowd and there were about 100 people fighting in the stands. I also remember a fighter crawling outta the ring and the crowd throwing him back in there. LOL was crazy stuff. Pele vs Patino 1 was a fight on one of the tapes. Damn I wonder what happened to those tapes.

Pele was another crazy mofo. They posted some HL of him in another thread.

Damn! RIP knee. Awesome!

I wonder how this techniques would work in today's MMA.
I think he's one of those guys that is a genius when it comes to knowing what you "could" do theoretically... Some of his stuff worked out great, and he won 9 fights by submission, and he fought some good guys back in the day too. Carlos Newton tapped him, but Carlos is a GOAT grappler.

Paulson has a black belt in BJJ under Machedo, Judo black belt, and Tae Kwon Do black belt... I'm sure he's developed all sorts of stuff that would work today on top of that. He's a genius IMO. Way ahead of his time. Look how impressive his stuff looks even though the guy is in his 50s.

He always used to get his hair pulled back in the day. He had long blonde hair... Fought a great kickboxer and tapped him after like an hour in the ring. Legend.

Pele was another crazy mofo. They posted some HL of him in another thread.

That Pele vs Patino match was epic. The pre fight stuff and that cage was awesome. Now that I think about it. The guy that crawled outta the ring then threw back in was fighting W. Silva can't be 100% .

Pele always be one of my favorite fighters. Wish I still had those tapes (but who has a VHS player anymore)

Erik Paulson... I've been looking for Erik Paulson.

Check out this highlight for some 90s nostalgia.

His tutorials are awesome.

Fuck yeah!

This is the one I've been looking for... The shit he puts this guy in at 1.29 is amazing.

His name is Erik Paulson. His name is Erik Paulson.

Chronically underrated and forgotten 90s fighter.

Damn, great finds. Thanks man.

Damn, great finds. Thanks man.
Isn't his style amazing? I've never seen anyone quite like this dude... I remembered his just from some spinning shit, one or two seminar videos, and getting his hair pulled mostly - I'd forgotten how good he was. There's a highlight called "Erik Paulson's Greatest Hits" which I can't find. That's the one with his striking.

I love that shoot fighting style - it's the one that really got me into MMA. Just 101 simple but extremely brutal ways to take a dude down and tear his knee to jelly in seconds.

I predict this style will make a comeback.

Isn't his style amazing? I've never seen anyone quite like this dude... I remembered his just from some spinning shit, one or two seminar videos, and getting his hair pulled mostly - I'd forgotten how good he was. There's a highlight called "Erik Paulson's Greatest Hits" which I can't find. That's the one with his striking.

I love that shoot fighting style - it's the one that really got me into MMA. Just 101 simple but extremely brutal ways to take a dude down and tear his knee to jelly in seconds.

I predict this style will make a comeback.

Yeah, always been a fan, but never saw those videos. On JRE Barnett gave him the ultimate compliment as a coach when he called him a "walking, talking library of fucking people up."

Yeah, always been a fan, but never saw those videos. On JRE Barnett gave him the ultimate compliment as a coach when he called him a "walking, talking library of fucking people up."

Sounds about right... I meant to find out more about him a while ago, I just never did when it was in my head. Didn't he go on Rogan's show once? Now that I've remembered him a lot of stuff is coming back but my brain is mush these days so I'm not sure... I remember him back in Vale Tudo with his blonde ponytail thinking it was Mr Perfect!

I figured Josh Barnett would be his guy. Josh was always more of a triangle man... I'd give a lot to see Josh pull out one of those "Quick Kills", can you imagine how apeshit Joe would go?

Boom!

I found the Gary Goodridge fight I was looking for... This is the worst neck. crank I've ever seen - Kerr ain't got shit on Big Daddy. IVC 1.

The dude, Augusto Menezies Santos sustained serious spinal injuries and he never fought again. I don't know how he survived and was even able to stand at the end... He was in a bad way for a long time after this fight.

EDIT: I can't display the link. Google it.

I have that whole event on dvd but it's a bastard to find online... Unless you have fight pass, which I don't.

https://www.ufc.tv/video/gary-goodridge-vs-augusto-menezes-santos-ivc-1

I seriously want to be Erik Paulson when I grow up:

Those neck cranks hurt to look at.

Battle of the coaches:

That one I do remember... Hume spent the whole fight tugging on his hair, then bust his head open!

I love this type of thing though - I'm more interested in the history of sports than the present a lot of the time, and this is one of those clips that connect a shitload of dots when you wonder who dudes are in people's corners ir why they talk about some dude with such reverence and you have no idea why.

That one I do remember... Hume spent the whole fight tugging on his hair, then bust his head open!

I love this type of thing though - I'm more interested in the history of sports than the present a lot of the time, and this is one of those clips that connect a shitload of dots when you wonder who dudes are in people's corners ir why they talk about some dude with such reverence and you have no idea why.

Hell, even Chuck in the early days. I am sure you are familiar with this:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/avaqMpTcec0

Hell, even Chuck in the early days. I am sure you are familiar with this:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/avaqMpTcec0
I saw that one back in 2002... My friend from Sacramento trained with Chuck a VHS copy was given to everyone in the gym... My friend was all like "there's this guy, Chuck Liddell... He went to Brazil and fought this crazy styled black dude... Craziest thing you ever saw". There's footage of them in the hospital together afterwards too... And they both did a shitload of coke and adrenaline before the fight or apparently they would have both been KO'd a few times.

I saw that one back in 2002... My friend from Sacramento trained with Chuck a VHS copy was given to everyone in the gym... My friend was all like "there's this guy, Chuck Liddell... He went to Brazil and fought this crazy styled black dude... Craziest thing you ever saw". There's footage of them in the hospital together afterwards too... And they both did a shitload of coke and adrenaline before the fight or apparently they would have both been KO'd a few times.

Yeah, guys were fucking maniacs back then. A guy I used to train with in high school had an older brother who fought Vale Tudo (he was in the service) before UFC 1. We had no tape of his fights, but he usually came back looking like he pissed off a biker gang. :)

Back