Vinegar (or Lemon Juice) PWO for Superior Recovery & Fat Loss

After 12 months a resurrection. I haven't been a ACV drinker since i was approved for psoriasis meds. In 2010 i used to drink 1 TBSP perhaps 2 in a 16 ounce glass of water all the time during the day.

2 reasons. To stop drinking soda but more importantly it cured the psoriasis in two spots. On my face, and behind my ears. For 2.79 to get psoriasis off your face its so worth it.

Under the influence i quickly began training everyday, then twice a day then 2-3 times a day with very little muscle ach in comparison to the guys that i would train with who were showing up 2-3 days a week still achy from the last session they seen me at.

After doping suspicions it kinda came out that it MUST be the ACV. I wasn't drinking so much as whey protein.

I"d like that kind of recovery again and after reading it might help with sprains ( which i think i have after 8 weeks and a clear x ray) if ACV can keep me from limping with ankle pain after squat days then I'll again have used this ACV stuff to remedy something in my life what means a lot to me. My face, and my ability to walk pain free.

I'll return to the fight training soon for now I'm lifting several days a week for strength and recovery and I'm sprinting 2-3 days a week. I hope acv will take effect while i'm going to the gym and doing sprints at the stairs and I'll carry that recovery effect into fight training as i prep for the golden gloves and kick boxing about.

What i got most out of the thread is all the support. First and foremost the importance of people saying " hey, i can't believe how fast i recover from muscle ach and DOMS" Thats so insuring. I was looking for pre-workout stuff and while i have whey, creatine now acv i'll add the beta alanine and i should stave off ache and fatigue really nicely.

Special thanks to those guys who come with the science. Science + laymans terms summation make it easy for a guy like me to not get lost in the data and get the take away message with out head achs.

Styleten

Don't remember if I posted this in the low carb recipes thread, but here's my recipe for ACV & lemon ice lollies, which are really fucking good.

Mix the following in a jug...

1 part ACV
1 part lemon juice
4-6 parts water
1-2 Tablespoons of xylitol / sweetener of choice

Stir well, pour into popsicle molds and freeze.

Interesting study.

The funny part to me is that lately I've been serving grilled meat with a sauce consisting entirely of fresh squeezed lemon juice and minced raw green chile. Just spoon it over grilled poultry, delicious. Apparently physiologically beneficial as well.

Wiki'd it, just out of interest.

Interesting stuff on the Japanese study...

Vinegar (and other acidic liquids) have long been proposed as agents to enable weight loss,[2][3] one proposed mechanism is that it prolongs the sensation of satiety after eating.[4] A 2009 study on mice showed that consuming acetic acid (the active component in ACV), upregulates the expression of genes for fatty acid oxidation enzymes in the liver causing a suppression in body fat accumulation.

In a double-blind experiment, obese Japanese were assigned to three different groups based on similar body weights, body mass indexes (BMI), and waist circumference. Each group drank a 500*ml drink containing either 30*ml, 15*ml, or 0*ml of vinegar daily for 12 weeks. Those in the 30*ml and 15*ml groups had lower BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, serum triglyceride, and body weight than the control group of 0*ml. The 12-week weight losses were modest: 1.2 kg in the 15 ml group and 1.7 kg in the 30 ml group. These two groups consumed fewer calories than the control group, so the effect may have been due to an impact on appetite. It was concluded that consumption of vinegar might reduce obesity.

Apple cider vinegar tablets can also be taken, although there is much evidence against there being value in taking the tablet version, as ACV pills are not well regulated, and may vary dramatically in terms of vinegar content from brand to brand.

Health risks

A report regarding an Austrian patient who had consumed excessive amounts of apple cider vinegar (up to 250ml per day) for six years suggests that long-term, high dosage intake of apple cider vinegar can lower potassium levels in the body as well as reduce bone density (osteoporosis); it is theorized that excessive intake of vinegar can cause hypokalemia, hyperreninemia, and osteoporosis.[8] Apple cider vinegar contains chromium which can alter insulin levels and it is therefore recommended that people who have diabetes should talk to their doctors before using ACV.[9] ACV is highly acidic; in one recorded instance, a woman received eso****eal burns after an ACV pill got caught in her throat.

Where the hell have you been. I always have one glass of vinegar and one glass of lemon juice after every workout.

It improves insulin sensitivity and glycogen storage, so I can see the logic in consuming vinegar PWO, but, yikes, that sounds fucking disgusting.

Right, but I was questioning the amount. I've done the ACV thing PWO. It works. But I was doing a TB spoon full, not a whole f'n cup. Could your body even handle a cup vinegar? (is more what I was thinking)

Right, but I was questioning the amount. I've done the ACV thing PWO. It works. But I was doing a TB spoon full, not a whole f'n cup. Could your body even handle a cup vinegar? (is more what I was thinking)

Haha, I'm not sure if it could. I know for a fact that it would never reach my stomach. I'd never be able to hold a whole cup of that shit down.

Anyone ever see any good Human studies re: this topic? Or even a detailed blog post from someone like Aragon/Berkhan/McDonald etc?

I have seen this not only on this board, but mentioned a few times elsewhere, but always hesitant to mess around with anything that isn't good, plain food. re: Soothsayer's post above it seems to indicate that the stuff induces satiety, which I don't care about, I can already control my food consumption.

If it has an actual thermogenic or metabolic effect I would like to hear about it.

Anyone ever see any good Human studies re: this topic? Or even a detailed blog post from someone like Aragon/Berkhan/McDonald etc?

I have seen this not only on this board, but mentioned a few times elsewhere, but always hesitant to mess around with anything that isn't good, plain food. re: Soothsayer's post above it seems to indicate that the stuff induces satiety, which I don't care about, I can already control my food consumption.

If it has an actual thermogenic or metabolic effect I would like to hear about it.

Lyle wrote about it in his Ultimate Diet 2.0 book and recommends taking vinegar shots before refeeds because they increase insulin sensitivity. Alan has suggested the same. As for human studies, here are a couple for you:

Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Abstract of article: Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects

Just took a shot of ACV this morning, wasn't that bad. You guys are babies :)

I'm thinking about adding a shot of vinegar to my routine in the morning (preworkout). I'll probably do 1oz (I'm just gonna use a shot glass) of apple cider vinegar.
I was doing this for a bit but my throat felt like it was on fire. I’m good with spicy and pungent stuff, but this was next level. Any tips?

Has anyone tried mixing it with orange juice?

I am thinking of adding one table spoon to all the other supps I mix with OJ.

After this thread first came out, I would take a shot glass of ACV morning and evening, chased by my coffee and protein shake, respectively. This worked fine for a couple years until one morning something happened and the vinegar came out my nose. I could not force my lungs to breathe for like a minute and it felt like I was breathing fire when I finally did. That was almost 10 years ago now and still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. It has been been difficult to cdonsistently shoot the ACV since then.

Starting to prep for a BJJ tourney 5 weeks ago or so, I knew I needed to get back to getting ACV in my diet regularly, so after reviewing this thread, I started putting a shot glass worth into some Orange juice or whatever. (My OJ is 50% normal OJ, and then some lemon/lime water, both to cut sugar and make it cheaper. My daughter actually prefers it to straight OJ...). Mixing ACV with the OJ, especially PWO, is sort of refreshing, and the ACV is almost unnoticed. I also started adding a shot or two to my veggie/fruit smoothie, my electrolyte peri-WO water (especially when I have powdered gatorade in it), etc. Again, most times, I hardly notice it, and I have noticed benefits from it. Had a hard BJJ session in a 90 degree room one night and my teacher expected me to be sore the next day. I said, no, after I get home, I'll get some ACV and I'll be fine tomorrow. He didn't believe me. Called to check the next day and I didn't have any soreness, and I'd had Taco Bell and MT Dew shortly before class (my one cheat meal that month of prep...).

I did pick up some ACV capsules to help increase my intake as well.

Back