Vintage Boxing Gloves

makedansure

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hello! For the past year or so, I've been researching and collecting a lot of vintage boxing gloves. I'm not sure if there's a thread already, but I figured I could make one and post some of my findings every now and then. To start off the post, a couple pieces from a friends collection:

I know this post might seem a little weak when taking into consideration the first three were Las Dos and Grant, but there's an interesting story to these.

I got these gloves in a trade from a man who says that they were given to him by someone from Ringside some time ago. The claim is that these gloves were the prototypes that were made in order to convince Cleto Reyes to let Ringside distribute their gloves here in the states. Apparently, Ringside made these gloves and told Cleto that if they refused to allow Ringside to sell Reyes gloves, Ringside would begin producing and selling these Reyes clones at a much cheaper price.

I know this is all hearsay and I have no proof, but I was told these gloves were the reason why Reyes first allowed a US distributor to sell their gloves. I doubt these were the exact pair, but hey, you never know.

As for the gloves themselves, they feel pretty damn good for a 14 oz glove (I'm at home in 18 oz for the most part). The leather is definitely the best leather I've felt on a Ringside glove, and they've aged quite well. I could see how this gloves is a Cleto emulation, but I have to say that they are considerably narrower than Reyes. The thumb is interesting, and I have to say that the craftsmanship is not the best (a little sloppy) but I can tell that they'd last a good amount of use and abuse.

Cool story I guess, and I've not seen Ringside gloves like this before. I'll be posting again soon with more interesting equipment.

The friend is a coach. Says these pieces are over 30 years old. Got them from somewhere in East Los Angeles, says he wanted to have the same gear Salvador Sánchez used. They felt pretty amazing for having gone through as much use as my friend says the went through - three different generations of his family have used this gear.

I'll be posting some some other cool gear soon.

I picked these up in this condition. I'm thinking these were either the first or second iteration of the Grant training glove. I have another pair from this generation that I'll post soon - they're absolutely gorgeous.

I know this post might seem a little weak when taking into consideration the first three were Las Dos and Grant, but there's an interesting story to these.

I got these gloves in a trade from a man who says that they were given to him by someone from Ringside some time ago. The claim is that these gloves were the prototypes that were made in order to convince Cleto Reyes to let Ringside distribute their gloves here in the states. Apparently, Ringside made these gloves and told Cleto that if they refused to allow Ringside to sell Reyes gloves, Ringside would begin producing and selling these Reyes clones at a much cheaper price.

I know this is all hearsay and I have no proof, but I was told these gloves were the reason why Reyes first allowed a US distributor to sell their gloves. I doubt these were the exact pair, but hey, you never know.

As for the gloves themselves, they feel pretty damn good for a 14 oz glove (I'm at home in 18 oz for the most part). The leather is definitely the best leather I've felt on a Ringside glove, and they've aged quite well. I could see how this gloves is a Cleto emulation, but I have to say that they are considerably narrower than Reyes. The thumb is interesting, and I have to say that the craftsmanship is not the best (a little sloppy) but I can tell that they'd last a good amount of use and abuse.

Cool story I guess, and I've not seen Ringside gloves like this before. I'll be posting again soon with more interesting equipment.

I completely believe that story. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of corporate black mailing.

We have a pair of vintage ringside gloves, Cleto Reyes, and Tuff wear circa '98-00 I'd like to get some pics of. Not sure if those would be considered vintage now, but the Reyes gloves are completely different from any modern Cleto I've ever tried before specifically the padding. 10x better IMO. In fact, they look almost exactly like the ringside gloves you posted...

awesome thread, can't wait to see more!

This may be he best thread to post this. I ended up picking up some older Reyes but I don't know when they were made. They have the hecho in Mexico logo and it doesn't have any gold thread on the label. Anyone have an idea of age? I'll post a pic soon.

can we post recreation of old school stuf here??????
only if the group creator allows!!!

can we post recreation of old school stuf here??????
only if the group creator allows!!!

Muhammad, you can post whatever you want! I'm sorry to keep you hanging on my glove order by the way, I still can't decide on what I want haha

With that, here are some old Marathon boxing gloves I picked up about a month ago:

The leather on these is super soft. One of the gloves is in better shape. I've been a bit busy so sorry for the lack of posts. I promise there will be better ones to come.

great thread we have here ,it for sure will bring some amazing and awesome posts.
thank you for the effort

If you were to ask me what a boxing glove should feel like, these 10 oz Grants are the gloves I would show you. If I ever were to fight professionally, these are the gloves I would want to wear. They come in at a perfect 10.0 oz and they are hands down the most comfortable glove I've ever come across. Aside from the fading logo, these gloves are in perfect condition, and the black leather is one of the prettiest I've seen on a glove.

Sorry for the absence - I have some really interesting pieces coming up.

Hello! For the past year or so, I've been researching and collecting a lot of vintage boxing gloves. I'm not sure if there's a thread already, but I figured I could make one and post some of my findings every now and then. To start off the post, a couple pieces from a friends collection:

I've got a vintage Everlast headgear somewhere in my storeroom, will see if I can find it.

Just wondering, are vintage Ken-Wel gloves worth collecting? Were they a prominent brand back then?

I've got a vintage Everlast headgear somewhere in my storeroom, will see if I can find it.

Just wondering, are vintage Ken-Wel gloves worth collecting? Were they a prominent brand back then?

That'd be great to see, please feel free to contribute to the thread!

I've seen them on eBay every once in a while. I don't have too much info on them, but I'm sure someone on this forum does.

Just picked this up - hadn't seen a headgear like it before let alone a Seyer one. Everything seems intact, and the padding feels like the Cleto headgear padding - it's not broken in at all. Or maybe it's just been laying flat for a long time. Anyways, enjoy!

These are some of the most beautiful Grants I've seen. They're supposedly 16 oz, but I have to wonder if they somehow shrank a little in that the hand compartment is ridiculously tight. The red and white pair I can get my hand into, but I can barely fit into these gloves. The construction is amazing, and if I had to eat a glove from my collection, it would be these....?

I finally found myself a pair of Las Dos MM in 18 oz. Just got them in today.

For those of you that don't know, Salvador Sanchez was very loyal to MM. After SS passed away, Elvis Grant actually purchased the rights to the SS name and much of the SS estate - one can see some similarities between early Grant and MM gloves. Not saying that Grant literally got his inspiration from the SS MM glove, but one can definitely see that much of Grant's inspiration for the gloves came from him. The MM pics from Technoir's Mexican Equipment Thread are all pictures from the Grant owned SS estate.

Back to the gloves:

These gloves come in at an exact 18 oz, right on the dot. The leather and everything is intact - I will be looking to clean them up and get rid of some loose thread. They've held together very nicely though. The biggest thing that shocked me about these gloves is the padding in the contact area. The padding is very thick for a Mexican glove, and though they've not been used extensively, the padding is super soft. There are definitely some layers in there. The latex layered padding is amazing.

The inside of the glove reads:

"Hecho en Mexico por MM Boxing Champion Team"

I can't read the rest because its faded and stitched into, but it says something about Piel 100% Caprino Rubber Latex ....
The construction is fantastic and the palm reminds me of the Dan Mosby Flores glove (I'll be posting some of these :) )

Leather on the backhand is extremely soft. The palm and inner parts of the glove seem to be made of a stiffer leather.

Anyhow, enjoy!

Picked these up from a family friend for our show room Wilson 16 oz. Leather Boxing gloves used in Milwaukee, WI youth after school boxing program in the 50/60's I am told. So they have some cool history.
10928183_10152997260353271_8403049233733177070_n.jpg

Also here is the my first pair of boxing gloves, which happened to be passed down to me from my dad who got them when he was a boy from his dad. I used to beat up my friends pretty bad with these guys lol. Hutch Brand
12299388_10153410510713271_1990889596948203284_n.jpg

I also had the Sugar Ray Leonards
10259934_10152593352293271_4442548399283184469_n.jpg

No, thank you all for stopping by.

I hope the thread doesn't disappoint in the posts to come, though I do have a few nice and rare pieces left. I'll be posting some more every couple of days or so.

I've got 2 Everlast headgears.

This first one is pretty worn out. As you can tell, the colour on the interior is much darker than the exterior. The leather on the exterior feels suede-ish.
IMG_2194_zps0t4orzry.jpg

IMG_2196_zpsmotkkohc.jpg

IMG_2195_zpsd839dmrw.jpg

This second headgear looks newer, with protruding earguards. There looks like a small burnt area on the earguard, exposing what looks like horsehair filling.
IMG_2197_zpsp7dsbh4w.jpg

IMG_2198_zpssrsrktgo.jpg

IMG_2199_zpsuazjar8p.jpg

Back