Virtue Signaling in Gaming Megathread, v.1

Probably to keep the game in the headlines to increase sales but if we go by achievement/trophy data it shows that very few people complete them. Same with DLC. For example, 48% of people beat FFXVI which is actually quite high but only 3% beat Omega Weapon which is the DLC boss. Returnal one of my favorite games in recent years only has 1% of people beating the DLC. People typically beat the main game and move on to something else even if they make updates.

And to expand upon @Zazen post. NG+ is extremely easy to code for by the game developer. All your doing is importing select elements of a game save file state to a duplicated game mode renamed NG+ without the need for extensive play testing.
Understood and agreed.

I guess I don't think about trophies at all, being an old school anti-social type gamer (typically offline, no "friends" or trophies or streaming or social media linked to gaming and whatnot) but have seen lots of people talk about doing multiple NG's.

For me, even spending years on a game, I never think about trophies or achievments, just entertainment and/or brain exercise with continuously pushing myself in refining speed/efficiency through multiple playthroughs.

For example I still do playthroughs of a Civilization game on console as I've been into it since the first one came out. No shits given about trophies or bragging rights, just enjoying the variability based on my own choices within the framework the designers have imparted on the player

12 years ago the figure for sales of new physical games fell below 50% for the first time. That didn't account for new digital games. Fast forward those years and suddenly those same games only warrant 23% of total playtime.

In 2014, AT sampled Steam play, looking back to 2009.

Steam-Meter-update-3.005.png

Steam-Meter-update-3.004.png

Nearly every single title you see on these lists is less than 6 years old (at the time of the article's publication). They would account for well over 80% of total playtime. Meaning the dominance of playtime share flipped. And this is only PC, not console, where single player experience reigned even more dominantly, such as TLOU.

LOL, no, this isn't at all normal relative to the past.

Which is like Starfield right? lol.
Not really. Despite having the same generic Bethesda blueprint, I think you'd agree that they're world's apart in execution. Even "Fallout 4", which can be hit and miss for people, is still leagues better than "Starfield".

Unfortunately, "Starfield" was just a stinker.

Not really. Despite having the same generic Bethesda blueprint, I think you'd agree that they're world's apart in execution. Even "Fallout 4", which can be hit and miss for people, is still leagues better than "Starfield".

Unfortunately, "Starfield" was just a stinker.
I was being sarcastic… Starfield sucks donkey balls.

It was this dipshit SBI employee that stirred the hornets with this. The curator list had a few thousand followers at the time, now it's 365k paying customers that will stay away, regardless of their impact on a game, and mass fuel for rage bait youtubers to monetize.

show

EmBpCPCXYAERn_S.jpg

Like I mentioned in a post earlier, SBI are just a symptom. They are to blame for the curator list blowing up, but as far as the woke shit plaguing gaming, that's all on the publishers or whoever employed them.

I don't know if it's forced DEI to get ESG money, or if the fringe woke retards that have been around forever have amassed too much influence (likely the former) either way, it's a big lose lose for everyone. Hopefully profit/pleasing the consumer comes back into the #1 priority fold. I'm amazed at the losses Disney has been able to absorb and still truck on with their agenda business as usual.

Microsoft fully embracing DEI practices is bizarre, considering how much Xbox has struggled recently. I'm sure Fable will be a smash hit :D
882v3mhp5y5b1.png
Lifa.jpg

Seeing a lot of conversation about the new Star Wars protagonist. Anyone else see the resemblance? She looks like plastic for some reason. Uncanny

Protagonist-1024x626.jpg

image.jpg
I understand artistic liberty, and I can understand not wanting to do a 1-1 copy but I don't understand the reasoning behind getting a beautiful and probably very expensive model to give you a baseline for your character design and then making them look so bizarre. Sometimes when I see stuff like this it really does make me think it's intentional. They made her look like a fruit bat. I can't imagine the model is very happy, although the likeness is so off she probably doesn't care

I understand artistic liberty, and I can understand not wanting to do a 1-1 copy but I don't understand the reasoning behind getting a beautiful and probably very expensive model to give you a baseline for your character design and then making them look so bizarre. Sometimes when I see stuff like this it really does make me think it's intentional. They made her look like a fruit bat. I can't imagine the model is very happy, although the likeness is so off she probably doesn't care
Of course it's intentional. What kills me is that the studio doesn't seem to mind getting scorched over it and losing money. Considering the Disney situation, I figure these activists are taking advantage of a very lazy and uninvolved wealthy brass, who are cool with just rolling in money. Then, all of a sudden, a few dollar bills are missing from their money pillow a decade after all this meddling, and they're like "Hey, what the fuck happened? You're doing what now?"

Of course it's intentional. What kills me is that the studio doesn't seem to mind getting scorched over it and losing money. Considering the Disney situation, I figure these activists are taking advantage of a very lazy and uninvolved wealthy brass, who are cool with just rolling in money. Then, all of a sudden, a few dollar bills are missing from their money pillow a decade after all this meddling, and they're like "Hey, what the fuck happened? You're doing what now?"
This intentional uglification of female characters has been going on for a while now. It's undeniable.

glzychpefomy.png

More people started to notice with Mary Jane getting the ugly stick treatment in Spiderman 2.
maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile Hideo doesn't play that game.
margaret-qualley-as-mama-death-stranding.jpg

fragile-lea-seydoux-death-stranding.jpg

Yea I think but I’m not sure that this is what is happening at Sony.

Spider-Man 2 was like 250 million dollar project. I don’t know or care how much it cost them to get consulting from sweet baby inc. At 250 million you need to be counting every single dollar spent and saving money wherever you can. Insomniac did not need to hire that company to make this game. It would have been just as good without them.

Ubisoft can't do faces. This is a recent relese in Siege.

This could be the existing character model to hitbox model ratio problem. An considering RS6 is PvP focused game played in first person. Emphasis on facial detail is likely not that high.

In CSGO when agent skins were released specific ones had their faces or bodies look off. With CS2's release the models and hitboxes were reworked eliminating these odd appearances.

This could be the existing character model to hitbox model ratio problem. An considering RS6 is PvP focused game played in first person. Emphasis on facial detail is likely not that high.

In CSGO when agent skins were released specific ones had their faces or bodies look off. With CS2's release the models and hitboxes were reworked eliminating these odd appearances.

Yeah, CS2 hit boxes
CurhdQc.jpeg

Yeah, CS2 hit boxes

This is completely different. Its a character display bug during their initial freeze time after load-in. Everyone has it to some degree on server connect and less so on spawn-in.

I was referencing agent models like Medium Rare Crasswater who in CSGO looked cartoon'ish. For the hitbox voxels allowed for more liberty in the upper body character model.

The state of this thread.

Great replacement can’t get here soon enough.

This intentional uglification of female characters has been going on for a while now. It's undeniable.

glzychpefomy.png

More people started to notice with Mary Jane getting the ugly stick treatment in Spiderman 2.
maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile Hideo doesn't play that game.
margaret-qualley-as-mama-death-stranding.jpg

fragile-lea-seydoux-death-stranding.jpg
Capcom did a great job with Devil May Cry 5. They hired actors and you can still tell who they are. Most importantly they look awesome and didn't make them uglier. I don't understand the point of hiring an attractive person if you aren't going to make the character resemble them.

tumblr_pone9s5t4s1rpfxzc_500.jpg

tumblr_pone9sXX0B1rpfxzc_500.jpg

tumblr_pone9tzRhW1rpfxzc_500.jpg

Capcom did a great job with Devil May Cry 5. They hired actors and you can still tell who they are. Most importantly they look awesome and didn't make them uglier. I don't understand the point of hiring an attractive person if you aren't going to make the character resemble them.

tumblr_pone9s5t4s1rpfxzc_500.jpg

tumblr_pone9sXX0B1rpfxzc_500.jpg

tumblr_pone9tzRhW1rpfxzc_500.jpg
Yeah, DMC 5 characters looked great! I lvoe the engine too.

Capcom does it right
t8bse688h0bb1.jpg

Seems a western dev thing more so.

Guerrilla did a far better job with Aloy in the first game then went off the rails. My gf loves the games, but every time I looked over while she was playing Forbidden West she couldn't help but laugh with me.
901ra4vcmy171.jpg

kpZsAfV_d.webp

This is completely different. Its a character display bug during their initial freeze time after load-in. Everyone has it to some degree on server connect and less so on spawn-in.

I was referencing agent models like Medium Rare Crasswater who in CSGO looked cartoon'ish. For the hitbox voxels allowed for more liberty in the upper body character model.

You know damn well the CS2 hit boxes are fucked.

Back