Volcano erupting in Indonesia, less than half of the 100,000 people in affected zone have evacuated

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Indonesia volcano forces mass evacuation, shuts Bali airport
Firdia Lisnawati and Stephen Wright | November 27, 2017

_98946581_mediaitem98946580.jpg

Indonesian authorities ordered a mass evacuation of people Monday from an expanded danger zone around an erupting volcano on Bali that has forced the island's international airport to close, stranding tens of thousands of travelers.

Mount Agung has been hurling clouds of white and dark gray ash about 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) into the atmosphere since the weekend and lava is welling up in the crater, sometimes reflected as a reddish-yellow glow in the ash plumes. Its explosions can be heard about 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) away.

Videos released by the National Disaster Mitigation Agency showed a mudflow of volcanic debris and water known as a lahar moving down the volcano's slopes. It said lahars could increase because it's rainy season and warned people to stay away from rivers.

The agency raised the volcano's alert to the highest level early Monday and expanded the danger zone to 10 kilometers (6 miles) in places from the previous 7.5 kilometers. It said that a larger eruption is possible.

Spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told a news conference in Jakarta that the extension of the danger zone affects 22 villages and about 90,000 to 100,000 people. He said about 40,000 people have evacuated but others have not left because they feel safe or don't want to abandon their livestock.

"Authorities will comb the area to persuade them," he said. "If needed we will forcibly evacuate them." About 25,000 people were already living in evacuation centers after an increase in tremors from the mountain in September sparked an evacuation.

Lava rising in the crater "will certainly spill over to the slopes," Sutopo said.

The volcano's last major eruption in 1963 killed about 1,100 people.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/ar...-stranded-as-Bali-volcano-closes-12385224.php

Someone I work with is heading to Balie tomorrow for his honeymoon.
Well, he was. Flight's been delayed. Who knows now.

That's unfortunate.

Reminds me of my brother who dodged a bullet this summer when he opted not to book a christmas cruise to Puerto Rico / Virgin Islands. I know it's not fair that it hurts those areas with the loss of tourist revenue. But it's a hard earned vacation, for blue collar workers that's precious R&R. can't blame them for wanting to shy away from a ravaged area where the situation is grim.

as for the lack of evacuations. I guess Indonesians figure it's better to try and stick it out than move. I mean the whole country is one big volcano machinegun.

When ever there is a Volcano in Indonesia Errupting I always pay attention Indonesia has some Epic erruptions!

TOBA, KARAKATAO,TAMBORAT!!!!

This is always my worst fear when booking a vacation. That something will go wrong and my plans will be ruined. Losing money, time, and my vacation.

Lost my passport 1 week before I was going to Jamaica. Stayed up all night looking. Found it in a yellow enveloped on the table I looked at multiple times.

We've got to do something about these volcanos erupting. I propose a carbon tax

@Cajun

nix Bali off the list of vacation spots bro.

annihilation
volcanic situation
evacuation

The volcano should not have erupted, it was the wrong thing to do.

Meh. Anything short of Tambora with That Look in his eye is weak sauce.

Let me know when it effects countries that actually matter.

LOL at you wording this like the flight being delayed is the only reason he isn't going. You really think that if his flight was good to go he would have went?

No. But listening to the scientist who have warned of this eruption since September (they predicted it would soon erupt, but could not say exactly when) would be a good start. It is always a good idea to listen to the scientist when they talk about their fields, as they tend to actually know what they are talking about.
Unlike the 4 priests (or 3 priests and one assistant) who climbed this volcano in October, to prove the scientists wrong about their predictions that the volcano would erupt.

It might seem crazy that not everyone in the affected zone has left until you remember they live in an area with lots of volcanoes and are used to activity. Some will chance it, just like here in the States with hurricanes and floods.

Exactly what the liberals are doing in Canada. Dem volcanos though can’t compare to our cars lmao. Climate has been changing since the planet formed. And it always will,no matter what the carbon tax is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back