Wal-Mart announces 10,000+ layoffs within days of publicizing bonuses from GOP tax bill

What about the 7,000 jobs that Walmart cut while Obama was president? That was just one of the cuts under Obama
Not obamas fault either. I'm telling you Walmart is slowly dying

My-Work-Here-Is-Done.jpg
Que?

People who think ALL these announcements are Trump related are wrong. People who think ALL these announcements are Propoganda are also wrong.
And yes, both sides will dig in their heels and refuse to think they are wrong.

Trump is God or Trump is Satan. Take your pick America. There is no middle ground
How about "God Emperor" ? That's what Ann Coulter called him.

Cereal question:

What alternative is there to Walmart, for folks looking to do inexpensive shopping? I just don't see any alternative. Forget Amazon, cause a lot of stuff you either need it now or you got to inspect the stuff or look around at selections, before making your mind up.

What about the 7,000 jobs that Walmart cut while Obama was president? That was just one of the cuts under Obama

That's irrelevant since the economy under that tax plan was getting billions more in corporate tax revenue than it is now. The benefit of these sweeping cuts to taxes and regulations was that it's supposed to create more jobs to the point that eventually wages become competitive.

As far as this being in the works, @Seano, of course it was. While I am admittedly being a little facetious, the logic of the tax bill was supposed to change the trajectory of American corporations, which it clearly has not done. Also, since we know they were already shifting towards reducing jobs and pocketing larger margins through online sales, doesn't it calculate then that reducing the corporate tax rate in hopes of increasing jobs was the exact wrong thing to do?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/10/is-costco-wholesale-corporation-stock-a-buy-in-201.aspx

Costco makes the bulk of its profits by membership fees. They make very little profit off product sales. I live in a rather wealthy area but people still want deals. There gas alone is 40 cents cheaper a gallon than the stations in the area. You also get 3% back on purchases if you are an executive member.

Place rocks. And u can return ANYTHING. People were returning Christmas trees AFTER Christmas. Not that I condone that shit. It's an incredibly run company. Many cashiers at my local Costco make 20-26 an hour. Awesome health care. Bonuses twice a year and a 401k

Sorry. I worked there from like 20 to 26. A great company. Seriously

Stock is also just under 200.00

WallStreet continually tried to get Mngt to cut employee pay n benefits but Sinegal(CEO at time) would have none of it.

I really don't understand why more companies don't treat their employees better

Congrats on your wife having a job there.

As far as you not understanding why more companies don't treat their employees better....well, I don't know how you don't understand it. Costco is an outlier to proven capitalist logic, by which companies are insulated legally from making decisions that won't directly reduce costs and maximize profits.

Cereal question:

What alternative is there to Walmart, for folks looking to do inexpensive shopping? I just don't see any alternative. Forget Amazon, cause a lot of stuff you either need it now or you got to inspect the stuff or look around at selections, before making your mind up.

For groceries and everyday, as SBJJ said, Costco is a go-too. Or, depending on where you live, there are many regional supermarkets that provide better wages and better products than Walmart.

Cereal question:

??

I think the thriving nature of amazon shows that it is the place to go or inexpensive merchandise.

eh, we could go back and forth there. I'll counter with the climbing work force participation, you'll post some graph that says Obama on it, we'll call each other names etc.

Things are going well, big businesses seem enthusiastic.

Good.

Things are going well because the government just passed a 1.5 trillion deficit stimulus during an already tight economy.

Its incredibly irresponsible if you ask me considering that the GFC just happened 10 years ago.

But meh, you guys will find another country to blame a few years down the road.

It seems obvious that some of these bonuses are propaganda designed to improve public opinion about the tax cuts.

You mean the one time bonus is only to distract us from the billions these companies will save over the next decade???

ADONBILIVIT.jpg

I'm not blaming Obama. I was just making a point.

Walmart isn't dying slowly. Not even close

They have been. You don't consistently close stores because you are doing well

??

I think the thriving nature of amazon shows that it is the place to go or inexpensive merchandise.
I buy stuff off Amazon now and then, but it's not an option if you need something right now. Only the large grocery chains, big-box hardware stores and Walmart can provide for this.

I buy stuff off Amazon now and then, but it's not an option if you need something right now. Only the large grocery chains, big-box hardware stores and Walmart can provide for this.

what percentage of your purchases are same day need? I would say not enough to keep all walmarts open -- which is why the reduction of store fronts for online

For groceries and everyday, as SBJJ said, Costco is a go-too. Or, depending on where you live, there are many regional supermarkets that provide better wages and better products than Walmart.

I consistently good GREAT deals on sales at my local Ralph's. Just got grape nuts for 1.49 a box. Normally 4.99. I had to buy 6 boxes but fuck it. It won't go bad unopened

I hit Costco for most my shit and local stores for Produce and sales

Seriously go into a Walmart stand in line then go to a Costco and stand in line. It's night and day. Walmart employees don't give a shit

People who think ALL these announcements are Trump related are wrong. People who think ALL these announcements are Propoganda are also wrong.
And yes, both sides will dig in their heels and refuse to think they are wrong.

Trump is God or Trump is Satan. Take your pick America. There is no middle ground

They're all propaganda. It has nothing to do with Trump being God or Satan. For me, it's entirely about the absurd willingness of people to believe that normal business decisions are suddenly extraordinary business decisions because they want to believe in a political motivation for them.

Walmart, FedEX, Target, etc. have all given bonuses to their employees before. Investment in the U.S. has been creeping up for years - Exxon is good example. They announced a huge wave of investment...in local projects that they acquired within the last few years and have been planning to upgrade since they acquired them. The "investment" they announced was bound to happen no matter who was in office because the acquisitions required it. I've got a good friend at Exxon, has been an exec there for years. They don't make such decisions in a matter of 2-3 months.

That's not saying that Obama deserves credit for it, it's a simple acknowledgement that crediting the tax cuts for multibillion dollar decisions by international companies is absurd since it suggests that these companies are making these massive balance sheet affecting decisions in a matter of weeks and not months or years. We have business owners on this board, I'd be very surprised if a large percentage of their capital outlay decisions are made in 4-6 weeks (meaning the idea, the research on impact, the studies, etc. and the final decision to proceed).

They have been. You don't consistently close stores because you are doing well
Well I don't know the details. I just know from what I see in real life. The only Walmart I've seen close recently was because it was an old store. They relocated with a supecenter Walmart like 1 mile away from the one they closed.

I've personally never been in a Walmart that wasn't packed. It hard to even find parking spot at my local Walmart. All of the Walmarts I've seen here in the Midwest are thriving

what percentage of your purchases are same day need? I would say not enough to keep all walmarts open -- which is why the reduction of store fronts for online
Groceries, some clothes, small hardware/tools etc..
Electronics and computer parts etc.. are bought online, unless I need something immediately, in which case I go to Best Buy.

Couldn't put a % figure on how much of my purchases are bought online, but it is much smaller than the number of items I buy from brick-n-mortar stores. But from a $ perspective, the bulk of my money is spent online or at auctions.

Groceries, some clothes, small hardware/tools etc..
Electronics and computer parts etc.. are bought online, unless I need something immediately, in which case I go to Best Buy.

Couldn't put a % figure on how much of my purchases are bought online, but it is much smaller than the number of items I buy from brick-n-mortar stores. But from a $ perspective, the bulk of my money is spent online or at auctions.

And im sure that is reflected in the trend of store closings in favor of eCommerce. Instead of a Walmart every 15-20 km it will probably be every 20-30

That's irrelevant since the economy under that tax plan was getting billions more in corporate tax revenue than it is now. The benefit of these sweeping cuts to taxes and regulations was that it's supposed to create more jobs to the point that eventually wages become competitive.

As far as this being in the works, @Seano, of course it was. While I am admittedly being a little facetious, the logic of the tax bill was supposed to change the trajectory of American corporations, which it clearly has not done. Also, since we know they were already shifting towards reducing jobs and pocketing larger margins through online sales, doesn't it calculate then that reducing the corporate tax rate in hopes of increasing jobs was the exact wrong thing to do?

Congrats on your wife having a job there.

As far as you not understanding why more companies don't treat their employees better....well, I don't know how you don't understand it. Costco is an outlier to proven capitalist logic, by which companies are insulated legally from making decisions that won't directly reduce costs and maximize profits.

It was sort of sarcastic. But they're not alone, there are other companies like them

As for my wife. They dragged her back in after she quit to care for our daughter the first 6 years of her life. She's corporate and salaried. Not an hourly. She has a nice half million 401k thanks to Company match and COST stock

Back