Wal-Mart announces 10,000+ layoffs within days of publicizing bonuses from GOP tax bill

1,000,000 associates got bonuses and expanded benefits.
10,000 to be laid off due to closing about 600 Sam's club stores.

This is unfortunate for people losing their jobs but perfectly normal for a business to do this. This in no way refutes the promised and delivered benefits of the Trump tax cut.

I believe they been planning to close the Sam's club for a while. It's not been doing great for while I believe.

So, your position is that there is no way that the companies are lying about the tax cuts being the impetus for bonuses/wage increases? It's impossible that they're spinning already planned business moves as a result of a tax cut that they heavily favored?

Just to be crystal clear, this is your actual position?

As usual you haven't read the posts correctly.

These are not public announcements made for the news. These are documents released to shareholders stating the impact(positive/negative) of the new tax bracket.

Stop just knee jerking your responses. Actually relax and read the posts. If they lie in these documents they can be sued by their shareholders. That's why I said I DOUBT they'd lie about this

Yeah, the other shoe drops.

well you can't control for Walmart being shitbags

that's the inherent problem w/ corporate tax cuts and other things like that, you're kinda implying that you are relying on their good will to pass that down to workers and the consumer

Some companies will.....clearly some won't

it's starting to look like only the consumer can have a drastic effect on these massive retailers.....not like we fund campaigns

What is Sam’s Club? Is it owned by Walmart? We don’t have them in Canada. Is it the same place that Brett Rogers worked at before he KO’d Arlovski?

Layoff plans In head quarters started years back when the minimum wage was being raised and automation was growing.

Big corporations are pigs but we are all slaves to low prices.

What is Sam’s Club? Is it owned by Walmart? We don’t have them in Canada. Is it the same place that Brett Rogers worked at before he KO’d Arlovski?
Sam's club is basically Costco, but owned by Walmart. It's named after Sam Walton.

Sam's Club closures have been in the works for a long time.
Good riddance. I went there once, loaded the cart and during checkout was told I had to pay my $200+ load using Discover card. No Visa. No MasterCard.. Discover only. I looked at the cashier like WTF is this? A Joke? It was not, so I left.

This thread is a great example of the cognitive dissonance of Trumptards.

Sam's Club has been getting whooped by Costco for quite some time.
Below is a chart from this link: https://seekingalpha.com/article/3997233-costco-domination-sams-club
-It denotes the stagnant sales of Sam's Club(Store) Sales; Costco has been trending up(and this does not include their growing online sales)

43295896-14705944164285538.png

Closures of Sam's Club sounds more like smart business strategy than anything else.
-Would you recommend they take back bonuses and raises from their Wal-Mart Store employees to maintain a wholesale store strategy(Sam's Club) that is failing and losing market share to BJ's and Costco?

<{vega}>

In an internal email to Sam’s Club employees, CEO John Furner said:
“After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated…. We will work to place as many associates as possible in new roles at nearby locations, and we’ll provide them with support, resources, and severance pay to those eligible.”
link-http://time.com/money/5100671/sams-club-closing-walmart-worker-raise-minimum-wage/

Sure public statements of raises and bonuses by companies are "broadcasted" to help grow & maintain support for the tax plan decision, and reward a congress that saved corporations money; but modifying business strategy isn't something to be upset about.
<DCrying><{cruzshake}>

Layoff plans In head quarters started years back when the minimum wage was being raised and automation was growing.

But multi-billion dollar investment decisions are decided on a whim in a few weeks.

These stores have been closing steadily since 2016. If a store announces a closure today, its not because of something that happened in the past week.

True, but the same applies to bonuses. The economy is continuing on its pre-Trump trajectory (slowing a little) by any objective metric, and the attempt to tie the recent good times to politics is pure hackery with no sound intellectual basis.

the attempt to tie the recent good times to politics is pure hackery with no sound intellectual basis.

But effective. Despite relative steadiness throughout, public opinion on economic health has spiked and people are already 50/50 on whether Trump or Obama is primarily responsible.

If Trump wasn't an unprofessional halfwit, or if any other Republican had beaten him like Cruz or Rubio, they'd be surging in the polls and layout out their Reagan-esque legacy for lionization in future debates.

But effective. Despite relative steadiness throughout, public opinion on economic health has spiked and people are already 50/50 on whether Trump or Obama is primarily responsible.

If Trump wasn't an unprofessional halfwit, or if any other Republican had beaten him like Cruz or Rubio, they'd be surging in the polls and layout out their Reagan-esque legacy for lionization in future debates.

Here's the thing, though: The ARRA stopped the free fall the economy was in and turned things around, but it phased out over a couple of years and further attempts to stimulate the economy were blocked. So it shouldn't be 50/50; it should be 0/0. For the most part, the question of which president deserves credit/blame for the economy makes no more sense than which king deserves the blame for the drought. What's more, operationally, everyone knows this. If a recession starts tomorrow, Seano/TCK/waiguoren/etc. will (rightly) not blame Trump for it; they'll either deny it happened or they'll make the same points that more rational-minded people are making now.

It is true that a lot of the public stupidly blames/credits the president for the economy, but I think it's more instinctive--not like they're looking at GDP growth and saying that they really think that President So-and-So's such and such policy is responsible. It's just a general kind of halo effect. "Things seem to be good so the face of the country must be good, too."

True, but the same applies to bonuses. The economy is continuing on its pre-Trump trajectory (slowing a little) by any objective metric, and the attempt to tie the recent good times to politics is pure hackery with no sound intellectual basis.
eh, Not really. It depends on the reason for closing. A company can be doing quite well and still layoff people from parts of the company that aren't doing so well.

Back