Walmart considering $8/month streaming service to counter Netflix, Amazon

Euron Greyjoy

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
https://www.thewrap.com/walmart-streaming-service-amazon-netflix/

Partnered with Microsoft for the tech stuff.

Walmart is weighing the launch of its own video streaming service to take on Netflix and its chief rival, Amazon, according to a new report from The Information.

The retail giant believes a service priced at $8 a month or less would appeal to its massive customer base, stated The Information. Walmart is also considering a free streaming service that would be supported by ad revenue.

Walmart’s jump into video streaming would be another battlefront for the company to duke it out with Amazon. Walmart countered Amazon’s buyout of Whole Foods last year by acquiring Flipkart, India’s most popular e-commerce site, earlier this year — outbidding Amazon in the process. Going to market with a $8 a month streaming service would put Walmart below the $8.99 a month for Amazon Prime Video, and below the monthly $14 for Netflix’s most expensive subscriber package.

At the same time, launching a streaming service could be a costly undertaking Walmart ultimately decides against. Netflix is spending $8 billion on content in 2018, while other tech giants, like Apple and Facebook, have earmarked $1 billion for programming. And Vudu, Walmart’s video-on-demand service, hasn’t been a major player since Walmart bought it in 2010. Users only spent 18,000 hours on the service in May, a far cry from the nearly 900,000 hours spent on Netflix, and 315,000 hours spent on Amazon Prime, during the same period

Hmmm. I think the market is already saturated. I don't know what more Wal Mart could offer.

Netflix has become monstrous with taking in talent and new content. Walmart could do it. But if they want to jump into this shark tank, they will have to go full balls in. Netflix right now is making themselves so huge that a normal person can just get netflix and forget about cable or HBO or the 1.99 rent a flick.

When these megacorporation fuckers go to war, customers win.

Lol at walmart customers being able to afford $8 for streaming.

But how would they take your money and then treat you like a potential thief if you're in your own house?

Lmao. Fuck Walmart, bruh.

I never used Netflix or Hulu, etc., but would try a Apple version now that I have the Lightning to HDMI adapter.

Yeah, fuck Walmart for considering creating competition to let us consumers possibly have better prices and service. Uh...

Seven. Dollar. Streaming.

You want in?

I'd pay for access to live Walmart security cam feeds. Do this Walmart and I'll pay double, triple even.

what shows would they offer?
Yeah, I'm sure in time Walmart would have their own original shows... but who's gonna license them content when even Netflix can't get it and every content holder is trying to launch their own streaming series?

They could film all the crazy people that shop there and make that a show. Call it "The Wall Martians". I'd watch it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back