War Room book thread

quasi-political but definitely in the WR wheelhouse:

9qzhww.jpg

what would i compare it to? imagine how bad the 50 shades books or the twilight series must suck. that level of suck rivals the level of awesome that is the hyperion cantos and the shrike.

What about Endymion? People seem to be mixed on those.

Next up on the docket is Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.
I've heard a lot of good things about that one from a friend of mine whose opinion on these matters I do trust.

Here's a book I read a few years ago. Checked it out to use one the chapters for a paper I had to write but loved it so much I read the whole thing, maybe the best book I've read on the region and I've read a few. It was originally published in 2012, so basically a year after the uprisings but its still very good at detailing the build up and fall out from that first year as well as being fairly accurate in predicting the way some countries would turn out in a few years time in the last chapter which doesn't even pretend to be much more than speculation.
51g8pHY4blL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is another good one
51VRo6WL7VL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Its a history book on the Urabi revolt and I thought it was well researched and argued. Its a revisionist history so the way he approaches it is different from how that event was usually dealt with and the author makes interesting parallels between Egypt in the late 19th century and 20th century neocolonialism. I also find it interesting to consider what would Egypt be like today if Urabi had succeeded back then in his revolution.

Last edited:
This is a book I enjoyed because of the WR.
51w2M2%2BEFHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Its an interesting book on some level but I'm not sure I agree entirely with it. However, I found it funny to be reading a book by a Marxist Jew arguing for the reemergence(and sometimes even the superiority) of Islamic civilization over Western capitalism. I thought it was funny since that sounds basically like a WR conspiracy theory.

I'm about halfway through the Autobiography of David Hasselhoff as told to Alex Haley. Riveting.

I've read Fire and the Fury. The making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnson is a better read imo.

All WRs should read
Capital in the Twenty-First Century
by Thomas Piketty.
My brother bought that (Piketty) to me as a christmas gift. Haven't read it yet.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about that one from a friend of mine whose opinion on these matters I do trust.

Here's a book I read a few years ago. Checked it out to use on the chapters for a paper I had to write but loved it so much I read the whole thing, maybe the best book I've read on the region and I've read a few. It was originally published in 2012, so basically a year after the uprisings but its still very good at detailing the build up and fall out from that first year as well as being fairly accurate in predicting the way some countries would turn out in a few years time in the last chapter which doesn't even pretend to be much more than speculation.
51g8pHY4blL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is another good one
51VRo6WL7VL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Its a history book on the Urabi revolt and I thought it was well researched and argued. Its a revisionist history so the way he approaches it is different from how that event was usually dealt with and the author makes interesting parallels between Egypt in the late 19th century and 20th century neocolonialism. I also find it interesting to consider what would Egypt be like today if Urabi had succeeded back then in his revolution.
If you're into straight history stuff, try this one
978-0-8223-5361-4_pr.jpg

It's an interesting and imo very useful examination of the way colonial/postcolonial scholarship has been developed. Stoler is basically calling out the field itself to evaluate our historiography.

This is a book I enjoyed because of the WR.
51w2M2%2BEFHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Its an interesting book on some level but I'm not sure I agree entirely with it. However, I found it funny to be reading a book by a Marxist Jew arguing for the reemergence(and sometimes even the superiority) of Islamic civilization over Western capitalism. I thought it was funny since that sounds basically like a WR conspiracy theory.

That's pretty funny, since Global Research is well known for their own tendency towards conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories of a different sort of course.

Speaking of which, I have the audio book of the Illuminatus! Trilogy on permanent rotation on my e-reader/portable audio device (basically a mobile phone, without the phone), which often provides a bizarre segue when I'm out and about. I like the audio book because it's done by Ken Campbell, who was really into the material and even performed it as theatre.

It's VERY war room.

2012-01-13_image1.jpg

I mainly prefer historical novels viking age, crusades, roman empire

But currently reading

41cEhCVtFnL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And going through the first 5 books in this series for the 3rd time

220px-Necroscope01.jpg

A friend recommended Carlos Castaneda. Might look into some of his weird shamanistic shit soon, just for fun.

Been a while since I read anything overtly political, or even for leisure in general. Pretty much read exclusively for school nowadays. On that note, if anyone is looking for academic essays on postcolonialism.... i'm your guy.
are you into liberal arts ?

Maybe you conservanuts can learn something from reading about other cultures. Nah, will probably never happen.
705368.jpg
lol at gang banger prison slut having something to teach.

I mainly prefer historical novels viking age, crusades, roman empire

But currently reading

41cEhCVtFnL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And going through the first 5 books in this series for the 3rd time

220px-Necroscope01.jpg

A friend recommended Carlos Castaneda. Might look into some of his weird shamanistic shit soon, just for fun.
the first and second, what are they about? The necroscope look like King type novels.

Exploring the Myths and Realities of Today's Schools: A Candid Review of the Challenges Educators Face.

I'm really trying to expand my overall grasp of the state of education.

Currently on "Wages of Rebellion" by Chris Hedges.

I thought it might be interesting for members to talk about the WR related books they are reading or have read.

Currently about half way done with Fire and Fury. It's pretty shocking, but it helps put some of the actions of the presidency in perspective. When you realize that Trump never really wanted to be president, some of the campaign trail shenanigans suddenly make a lot of sense. Refusing to release taxes or divest business interests before the election? Makes sense if he didn't really plan on winning anyway. The whole election is like "The Producers" where Trump was surrounded by a lot of opportunistic people who wouldn't have gotten roles on legitimate campaigns. Their plan was to have a good showing and then become talking heads on conservative media outlets, but they ended up winning and being utterly unprepared to actually run the government.
Also interesting is the power struggle between Priebus, Bannon, and Kushner for influence over the president. Each of them developed their own strategies to deal with the president and one another. Priebus is a whipping boy, but he takes advantage of the president's lack of interest in policy to get him to sign anything put on his desk. Bannon was both a true believer and an opportunist that latched onto anyone with money, but also had a keen understanding of how effective his brand of cynicism is at riling both supporters and opposition. Kushner has delusions of granduer, is often naive and over his head about politics, but is also surprisingly tenacious.

I don't normally read political books, but it has been a fascinating, if not frightful read so far. Looking forward to the second half.

It sounds like a bunch of Anti Trump nonsense to me. The idea that a Presidential Campaign would not actually have a plan in place if the won is such lame, slap sticky nonsense that it's actually embarrassing that someone who considers themselves a real journalist would put it in print, and that people actually believe it.

are you into liberal arts ?

lol at gang banger prison slut having something to teach.

the first and second, what are they about? The necroscope look like King type novels.

The books are much more Lovecraftian than King like. The main character is a necroscope (can speak to the dead) who fights the Wamphyri.

The first 3 books can be read without the rest of the books.

1. Book 1. The main character starts out as a regular kid who knows nothing about special powers, vampires or anything like that. He discovers he is a necroscope and along with this learns of other powers, the Wamphyri and the british E-branch. He combats a Wamphyri spawn trying to destroy the british E-branch.

2. Book 2. This gets a lot more Lovecraftian and details The Bodescu Affair. An insane Wamphyri that almost kills the main character.

3. Book 3. probably the best book. After the events of book 2 the main characters son has disappeared. It is discovered that he is in another dimension on the Wamphyri homeworld of Starside/Sunside. The main character travels there and leads a massive battle against the Wamphyri lords. Along the way leaning the history of the Wamphyri and ow they came to earth..

During the books the main character develops many other powers using his necroscope abilities. He begins to teleport through the mobius continuum after many conversations with the deceased August Mobius etc.

What I really like about this series is that it starts out rather normal, and as things slowly get weirder they are really well explained and so nothing ever seems over the top or "unnatural".

Like when the main character first begins to speak to the dead. He talks to a lot of math teachers and then begins solving school work for math better than anyone. Some of the math solutions are actually depicted in the book. So in a way the main characters progression from a normal kid to a Interdimensional travelling Vampire hunting ESP having badass never seems set in a fictional world. Kind of hard to explain really.

I just finished Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. The book is a highly suspenseful true story built around a series of murders of wealthy Native Americans in the 1920s that I had never heard about.

%7B762D399E-2832-4CBC-A616-CE8279121232%7DImg100.jpg
Am actually working my way through this. It's been a good read so far.

It sounds like a bunch of Anti Trump nonsense to me. The idea that a Presidential Campaign would not actually have a plan in place if the won is such lame, slap sticky nonsense that it's actually embarrassing that someone who considers themselves a real journalist would put it in print, and that people actually believe it.
I wonder, will you do additional research to confirm or disprove your beliefs or just stop with whatever "feels right" to your world view. I'm just reporting what the book says, but other sources have more or less gave similar accounts that many on the Trump team were in disbelief when they won.

I wonder, will you do additional research to confirm or disprove your beliefs or just stop with whatever "feels right" to your world view. I'm just reporting what the book says, but other sources have more or less gave similar accounts that many on the Trump team were in disbelief when they won.

What's my world view? If you took the name "Trump" out and inserted "Sanders" or "Clinton" and attributed the same type of behavior to it, my reaction would be the same. Political campaigns intend to win. Add that to the fact that the author of that book has a sketchy reputation for telling the truth even within the journalistic world and it doesn't look very good.

Back