War room lounge v.9 Wake up it's time to go now, wake up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While walking the three miles back home from McDonald's in an undersized t-shirt, oversized shorts with no elastic, and Walmart deck shoes with no socks, it occurred to me that I probably should have replaced my 1996 Ford Taurus a long time ago.

not to mention your shorts

While walking the three miles back home from McDonald's in an undersized t-shirt, oversized shorts with no elastic, and Walmart deck shoes with no socks, it occurred to me that I probably should have replaced my 1996 Ford Taurus a long time ago.

<{poor?}>

And before you say it senri, yes, the walk home tenderized the flesh

@senri
What is your opinion on the inevitability of humanity's slide into cyborg control?

The rational cortex is a path to unintended consequences. Tread lightly...

You will taste the inevitable Mr @Trotsky....

Are you Josh Brolin's brother?

Let's not talk past one another.

We are moving toward a situation in which one party is highly skeptical of technological growth and favors regulation of tech companies, while the other takes a more lax approach. Further, this issue will utterly dominate all other issues---particularly the issues that you are focusing on. The era of our voters giving a crap about the highest marginal income tax rates is coming to an end.

The young, influential Trump supporter who penned the Breitbart op-ed piece is attacking legacy Republicans for refusing to consider regulating the tech companies. He is calling for regulation of monopolies more generally. The old Republicans in the Senate won't stand for it.

Yesterday's primaries couldn't have been better for the Trumpists. Renacci, Braun and Morrisey all won. Assuming some of these candidates win in the Fall (they will): in the short-term, the Republicans will get harsher on illegal immigration and unequal trade practices.

At the end of Trump's second term, expect the Republican party to be significantly more Bannonist in ideology than today. That means: harder on illegal immigration, less multilateral trade agreements and more tough bilateral agreements with countries using "unfair practices", more federal infrastructure spending than they are currently calling for, more regulation of tech companies than they are currently calling for. The main exception will be on marginal tax rates for the wealthy (Bannon advocates raising them to pay for middle class cuts), which will be an issue that most voters don't really care about.

My key predictions are:

(1) In 15 years, either the Ds or the Rs will be strongly pro-technology and will support limited regulation of tech companies, while the other party will be highly skeptical of technology.
(2) This will be the most-discussed of all political issues (for example, at the presidential debates).
(3) In 40 years, if the United States still exists, no other issue will even be discussed.

At the 15-year mark, as I see it (this part is less certain), Bannonism will be aligned with the skeptical-of-technology side. However, it is possible that a further reconfiguration will occur, creating odd pairings (e.g., more regulation of tech but lax on the border).

It's fine if you think that will happen (I mean, I think it's a ridiculous prediction, but who knows?), but it's clearly not in progress now, as the GOP is still just pushing the "regressive tax cuts, deregulation, aggressive foreign policy" agenda that they have for almost my entire life. There are zero of these new Republicans you speak of in Congress now.

Further, given that illegal immigration has been a dead issue for more than a decade objectively speaking, but it still riles the rubes behind that old agenda, what makes you think that objective conditions have any impact on the political debate?

WetYellowishButterfly-size_restricted.gif

The old American Dream ... was the dream of the Puritans, of Benjamin Franklin's "Poor Richard"... of men and women content to accumulate their modest fortunes a little at a time, year by year by year. The new dream was the dream of instant wealth, won in a twinkling by audacity and good luck. [This] golden dream ... became a prominent part of the American psyche only after Sutter's Mill.

Rich and rich fast = unequivocally great, is a construct of modern American culture.

And a rather ridiculous one to be honest.

Money should be working for most people, and not the other way around, unless someone's ambition is to be rich to take care of those they love and care about or they enjoy the challenge in a wholesome way.

"If you wear the same clothes all the time, people will remember you better." - David Byrne, circa 1984.

The rational cortex is a path to unintended consequences. Tread lightly...

So true.

This guy is the wisest poster in the War Room. I can't understand why people don't give him more credit.

"I need you to tow my car to my mechanic"

"Okay sir, do you need a ride or a jump-start?"

"No thank you, I'm no longer at the car, I have jump-started it several times, that's not the problem. I just need the tow."

"Okay sir, we will tow you car to your mechanic"

30 minutes later

__Incoming text message__

"Update: *********** service is on the way. Your car will be jumpstarted"

I blame the Chinese.

"I need you to tow my car to my mechanic"

"Okay sir, do you need a ride or a jump-start?"

"No thank you, I'm no longer at the car, I have jump-started it several times, that's not the problem. I just need the tow."

"Okay sir, we will tow you car to your mechanic"

30 minutes later

__Incoming text message__

"Update: *********** service is on the way. Your car will be jumpstarted"

I blame the Chinese.

Time stamped

Ruxin I swear is my inner voice sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back