WAR ROOM LOUNGE V11: Now With More

Status
Not open for further replies.
“When Trump seems to give Russia a pass on annexing Crimea by force because they speak Russian, that sends a chill down the spine of the Baltic countries and other neutral nations in the region who also have Russian-speaking enclaves, and where Russia has been meddling. So if I’m Putin, I’m already breaking open the vodka over this summit.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/whats-stake-trumps-summit-putin-215539617.html

Lots of what he wrote was unoriginal in terms of stories, yeah. Like Romeo and Juliet goes way back, to Ovid's Metamorphoses (Pyramus and Thisbe, who are used in Midsummer), which in turn probably goes back to ancient Babylon. He's always teasing Greek mythology and biblical themes too. He lifted iambic pentameter from Chaucer I think. That doesn't qualify as a cover band for me any more than modern movies tell familiar stories. "Nothing new under the sun" and all that. It was customary to put your own spin on old tales and established literature, too. He wrote a lot of histories, and his comedies and tragedies are stuffed with historical allusions. It's probably not a fair comparison.

Yeah, not even close to being like a cover band. Look up the original Hamlet (Amleth) story, for example. It's pretty lame. And then there was a play version (lost to history) that was widely mocked at the time. IIRC, Harold Bloom had an unconventional theory that it was actually written by Shakespeare--rather than Kyd as more people think--and that the embarrassment of the reception of the first try is why he made the other one so good. It is a bit of a mystery why he did all the stuff you're talking about for audiences that wouldn't appreciate it.

The authorship "controversy" is just classism leading to a CT. To some people, there's no way a commoner could be the greatest writer in the history of the language.

Absolute blasphemy lol.

I may be biased though as I'm (humblebrag incoming) getting an essay published that I wrote about one of his plays.

Cool! Details?

It's an absolute bitch to wade through some of the language but there is nothing that compares to it in terms of density of meaning, puns, allusions, etc. I don't even try to read his stuff without a couple translations and references handy (especially Greek mythology and the Bible).

I can't fully appreciate a Shakespeare joint unless I've read it at least twice, read about it extensively, and seen it performed a couple of times. I guess it's a long haul kind of thing, takes commitment and a deep love for language.

I think it goes smoothly once you start rolling. But yeah, most versions have lots of footnotes, which are helpful.

Since @Cubo de Sangre brought up Bogart, there's an exchange in Hamlet that reminds me of that kind of thing. Hamlet had killed Polonius, and Claudius heard about it, and wants the body:

KING CLAUDIUS: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?
HAMLET: At supper.
KING CLAUDIUS: At supper! where?
HAMLET: Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain
convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. Your
worm is your only emperor for diet: we fat all
creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for
maggots: your fat king and your lean beggar is but
variable service, two dishes, but to one table:
that's the end.
KING CLAUDIUS: Alas, alas!
HAMLET: A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.
KING CLAUDIUS: What dost you mean by this?
HAMLET: Nothing but to show you how a king may go a
progress through the guts of a beggar.
KING CLAUDIUS: Where is Polonius?
HAMLET: In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger
find him not there, seek him i' the other place
yourself. But indeed, if you find him not within
this month, you shall nose him as you go up the
stairs into the lobby.
KING CLAUDIUS: Go seek him there.
To some Attendants
HAMLET: He will stay till ye come.
Exeunt Attendants

So I was just reading the previous version of this thread, the parts talking about Shadow_Priest_X’s demise. When did he delete his account or whatever? I know he lost it in the Roseanne thread and then he just stopped posting. But did getting rid of his account, only to leave “GuestX” or whatever, only occur in the last week or so?

Also, @JosephDredd quoted what’s apparently Shadow’s last post that he got from @Da Speeit and in the last post he says something like “I’ve been on this forum for SIX MONTHS” or something. What the hell was he talking about?
Shadow was posting on Sherdog for like 10 years or so.

He was probably talking about the WR. To be fair, we're a pretty rough bunch. An uninitiated Mayberry sissy doesn't stand much of a chance venturing into these parts. You gotta come from the depths of hell, like the Pro-Wrestling forum, if you're gonna stand a chance at rolling with the punches in here.

He was probably talking about the WR. To be fair, we're a pretty rough bunch. An uninitiated Mayberry sissy doesn't stand much of a chance venturing into these parts. You gotta come from the depths of hell, like the Pro-Wrestling forum, if you're gonna stand a chance at rolling with the punches in here.

SPX was in the WR way longer than six months, too.

And I think we can use an influx of people who *aren't* raging assholes.

I don't remember him posting much in here, but whatever.

Just nice guys like you, right?

Yeah, he didn't post much, but he's been around.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so immodest as to say that myself, but certainly there is a lack of decency here that could be corrected with more people following some of the good examples in the group.

Yeah, he didn't post much, but he's been around.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so immodest to say that myself, but certainly there is a lack of decency here that could be corrected with more people following some of the good examples in the group.

I think the place is fairly balanced, all things considered. There's certainly a bit of natural toxicity to the place given the subject matter, but everyone knows the score, and we do have rules to abide by. I mean, it's not like we're the uncivilized savages from the Heavies, or anything.

I think the place is fairly balanced, all things considered. There's certainly a bit of natural toxicity to the place given the subject matter, but everyone knows the score, and we do have rules to abide by. I mean, it's not like we're the uncivilized savages from the Heavies, or anything.

I'm always taken back if I venture into the heavies. If I sticky to the PBP stickys, it's fine but the threads that show up during an event are just awful and nonstop. I'm wondering how the white belt change will affect that.

I'm always taken back if I venture into the heavies. If I sticky to the PBP stickys, it's fine but the threads that show up during an event are just awful and nonstop. I'm wondering how the white belt change will affect that.

What's striking to me about the HWs is how little actual discussion of the sport there is. More gossip about the MMA world. That's a big part of why I got tired of it. There are actually better MMA discussions here than I've seen in the HWs.

You could be right, but the funny thing is I don’t recall ever seeing him post in here before. I remember maybe two to three weeks before the Roseanne thread someone made a thread in Mayberry about Marvel doing a movie featuring a female Muslim protagonist, and he made some borderline racist comment and I remember saying to him at that time “you should post in the War Room” or something like that. Prior to that thread I had never noticed any posts like that from him before.

I could be wrong, but I don't see why anyone would sign up fresh as a daisy, and immediately create like six or seven threads during an event. I'd imagine there were quite a few regular members making kamikaze accounts just to start some shitpost threads during events. It will at least cut down on that.

I could be wrong, but I don't see why anyone would sign up fresh as a daisy, and immediately create like six or seven threads during an event. I'd imagine there were quite a few regular members making kamikaze accounts just to start some shitpost threads during events. It will at least cut down on that.

I think we always kept it in play in case a close source to a fighter or someone with a really interesting story could just post it. They are rare occasions but they did happen from time to time. The con began to far outweigh that however. I think there will be a dramatic improvement with that new limit. Mods can now see trolls race to yellow belt over the five or so days it takes them to get there.

The history of empire is fascinating particularly because its the political unit that has been around the longest in recorded history and its been a global phenomena.
Have you read anything by Ann Laura Stoler?

Not sure what all this SPX talk is about, but he did post in the WR occasionally going back far longer than six months. He planned in advance to quit Sherdog as evidenced by him telling us that in the movie club and him getting the reins turned over to another guy to lead it. Fwiw.

Oh yeah. Her book Race and the Education of Desire is a great read. She builds upon Foucaults work and shows how there was a dual policy of domestic sexual repression and colonial sexual oppression of others.

Oh yeah. Her book Race and the Education of Desire is a great read. She builds upon Foucaults work and shows how there was a dual policy of domestic sexual repression and colonial sexual oppression of others.
Yeah that's a great one. Imperial Debris is my fave though. The way she articulate ruins and ruination to tie imperialism into the present day is frankly pretty brilliant imo. I found it pairs really well work by Chakrabarty. And I think the self reflective nature of her work challenging the field itself is damn refreshing.

Yeah that's a great one. Imperial Debris is my fave though. The way she articulate ruins and ruination to tie imperialism into the present day is frankly pretty brilliant imo. I found it pairs really well work by Chakrabarty. And I think the self reflective nature of her work challenging the field itself is damn refreshing.

Ann Laura Stoler and Chakrabarty? I like your style. I haven't read the Imperial Debris book, so I'll check it out. You should check out Homi Bhaba. I think you'll love his books and his methodology (intellectual history) since he's on the same postcolonial current as the other two authors. He mostly focuses on interactions between Britain and India. His book Location of Culture is one of the best books I've read. He talks about hybridity, mimicry, and the power of stereotypes in regards to identity.

Ann Laura Stoler and Chakrabarty? I like your style. I haven't read the Imperial Debris book, so I'll check it out. You should check out Homi Bhaba. I think you'll love his books and his methodology (intellectual history) since he's on the same postcolonial current as the other two authors. He mostly focuses on interactions between Britain and India. His book Location of Culture is one of the best books I've read. He talks about hybridity, mimicry, and the power of stereotypes in regards to identity.
Will do
India is one of my sub-interests and I like to wade through anything that deal with postcolonialism and their continuing entanglement. I did my two big undergrad papers on pollution in Indian mega cities and the rise of Hindustan Unilever. Indian has a damn fascinating economic past and present. I went there for a couple weeks and fell in love with their insanely complex history.

Will do
India is one of my sub-interests and I like to wade through anything that deal with postcolonialism and their continuing entanglement. I did my two big undergrad papers on pollution in Indian mega cities and the rise of Hindustan Unilever. Indian has a damn fascinating economic past and present. I went there for a couple weeks and fell in love with their insanely complex history.

Same here. Postcolonialism is so full of creativity and its important to listen to others speak. It's mind-blowing how so many people (in academia and especially the general public) have no interest in reading material from outside the U.S. or even outside "the West" for that matter. Postcolonialism and environmental history are the best tools to get to the kernel of the human condition. India is a must visit for me since its so old and they seem to have a more balanced life with nature and animals.

Will do

Same here. Postcolonialism is so full of creativity and its important to listen to others speak. It's mind-blowing how so many people (in academia and especially the general public) have no interest in reading material from outside the U.S. or even outside "the West" for that matter. Postcolonialism and environmental history are the best tools to get to the kernel of the human condition. India is a must visit for me since its so old and they seem to have a more balanced life with nature and animals.
<clears throat>

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back