WAR ROOM LOUNGE V11: Now With More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame, was expecting an actual assault on video but in the end I just forfeited 39 seconds of my life I'll never get back for nothing.

Gotta at least give you credit for not making a separate thread for such a non-story like a lot of schmucks do.

Here's a question for the lefties of this forum. Let's say you have the power to magically change the results of the 2016 election so that instead of Trump winning it was Ted Cruz instead. Do you take it or stick with Trump? I think I prefer Trump.

@Jack V Savage @Fawlty @Trotsky @HomerThompson

Here's a question for the lefties of this forum. Let's say you have the power to magically change the results of the 2016 election so that instead of Trump winning it was Ted Cruz instead. Do you take it or stick with Trump? I think I prefer Trump.

Ouch. Cruz would be more effective at implementing terrible policy, but would be a much better head of state and wouldn't destabilize the Western alliance. My first instinct is that the change would be better.

Ouch. Cruz would be more effective at implementing terrible policy, but would be a much better head of state and wouldn't destabilize the Western alliance. My first instinct is that the change would be better.
That combined with his die hard Zionism is why I would still prefer Trump. Trump is sort of a Zionist himself but he doesn't seem to think too deeply about it, Ted really seems to take it to heart though

I don't have any reason to suggest that Cruz works for the Russian mob, so he gets it. He's also much more intelligent and understands what laws are. He's also not a leading figurehead of white supremacy. It isn't even close in terms of the liabilities each bring to the job. Cruz AINEC.

All that said, Cruz is still a bad enough human being and subscribes to a broken enough ideology that Trump could end up harming the US less through sheer dumb chaotic luck.

I've actually had this discussion and teased out the considerations many times, as my thinking was very much in line with Jack's up through the GOP primary: that Trump (i) would be less effective at passing policy, (ii) wouldn't be as far-right as Cruz, (iii) might actually achieve some populist objectives like reducing corruption, lobbyist influence, and corporate influence on executive agencies, and (iv) would have a worse chance of winning regardless. However, I've completely flipped my thinking on the matter in the wake of Trump's actual presidency, where he was been farther right, more corrupt, more divisive, more incompetent, and more a diplomatic stain than (I think) could be reasonably anticipated.

Really, in terms of policy, I don't think Cruz would get that much more done. The tax plan would have passed earlier, but that's all the comes to mind. The AHCA was dead no matter who was manning the ship, on account of the GOP having absolutely no fucking plan. Meanwhile, Trump has been undoubtedly worse than Cruz would have been on three areas: (1) the effect on the political disposition of the country internally, (2) the global image of the country externally, and (3) the appointment of brazenly incompetent Cabinet members.

The biggest one (by far in my opinion) is #1. Cruz wouldn't have lied constantly and then just pretended he was in a different reality when presented with proof of the lie. Cruz wouldn't reflexively scream "FAKE NEWS!!!" every time a fact was reported about him. Cruz wouldn't subsequently usher in an era in which American conservatives are actively and indisputably living in a post-fact, post-principle, and post-thinking age. This will be perhaps the longest lasting effect of Trump: the complete liquidization of reverence to institutions generally and the basic recognition of facts. And that's dangerous.

The other two seems trivial by comparison, and that's fucking insane because they're really not trivial at all. With regard to #2, he's completely embarrassed us on the national stage countless times and ceded huge swaths of influence to countries like China. The ceding of power/influence isn't a huge deal to me personally, but it's a consideration of objectively great gravity. The effect of empowering Xi, Jong Un, and Putin is just icing on the cake (I personally think him getting absolutely played by Jong Un was hilarious - and it's also hilarious that that would have probably ended in Obama's impeachment). And his appointment of crooks and profiteers like DeVos, Pruitt, and Mulvaney? Plus just utterly incompetent political hacks like Perry and Carson? The former three have done irreparable harm to our country through actively trying to undermine the purposes of their agencies. The latter two (well, at least with Carson) have done damage just by being completely incompetent and running their departments like shit.

In short, Cruz is smarter and more evil. But Trump's stupidity and superhuman lack of self-awareness or capacity for shame has proven to be a wrecking ball unlike any one.

Just reported my second post ever, or maybe third, and the dude got the card. Man, it feels good being on the other side of the law.

Great question but I would pose it to those on the center/center right as well.

I'll take Cruz because he is one devolution back from the current state of the party. There is an unpredictability of effect in the long and short term that scares me with Trump 's impact on institutions, how we are viewed in the world, and the vulgar disrespect for reality he has shown to work with a large segment of voters

And u better take Trump since u helped elect him :)

Last edited:
Anyone watch Invicta?

Had to look that up. Thought you were referring to the Mets' first-round pick this year (who I also had to look up--Jarred Kelenic). He's good, too, though.
Hah. Shit, sorry man, I was commenting on a previous post. Not into baseball. I wish I was interested enough to at least pass the time until football season, but I just can't do it.

Not sure actually. I guess it's that I love Nawlins and I'd like to drink at work.

You can drink at work for any job if you believe in yourself dude.

Holy shit though. I was pretty drunk and stoned when I got to the show tonight and it's generally a pretty small show so I didn't even prepare a setlist. I show up and it's PACKED. 97% middle aged black women for a high school reunion. My buddy goes up and it's awkward so I go outside to tell him great set and a big ass brawl takes place outside. This girl runs to punch a guy but I accidentally trip her and she fucking TAKES OUT a table.

NOLA is the best lol.

PhonyEthicalChihuahua-size_restricted.gif

I'm still unconvinced that incompetence is a preferable attribute in a political leader whom you disagree with on most things. I certainly think it's riskier in terms of foreign policy, although the actual policy they incompetently try to enact is important there. Trump's is still difficult to judge, because it hasn't become any more coherent after the election.
Based on what he has done, I think Trump is more damaging to America's foreign relations and it's ability to make meangingful commitments than Cruz would have been.

You can drink at work for any job if you believe in yourself dude.

Holy shit though. I was pretty drunk and stoned when I got to the show tonight and it's generally a pretty small show so I didn't even prepare a setlist. I show up and it's PACKED. 97% middle aged black women for a high school reunion. My buddy goes up and it's awkward so I go outside to tell him great set and a big ass brawl takes place outside. This girl runs to punch a guy but I accidentally trip her and she fucking TAKES OUT a table.

NOLA is the best lol.

"accidentally"

I think my brain just tried to tear itself in half

I call that a semblance of the Ourophagia paradigm. It is a psychological technique i had seen...... Years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back