WAR ROOM LOUNGE V21: ♫♪ Tom Lehrer Awareness Week ♪♫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of four members of my sizable group research project (on data buffers), which is due tomorrow evening, have dropped the class. I really, really, really love group projects.
I hope for your sake there's some really cool alternate meaning for data buffers that I am not aware of.

Any history instructor that makes students do a group paper needs a firm slap

The teacher was terrible, and I got a C+, my worst grade of college. She was a Korean immigrant whose English was also quite lacking. I enjoyed some of her work (she specialized in Japanese imperialism in East Asia) that I read outside of class, but she was awful as an instructor.

But I also just don't find modern history all that interesting outside of dense political stuff (political jockeying in USSR and Latin America). As far as pure history goes, I always preferred ancient history like the Achaemenid Empire.

My freshman year of college I had to do a group paper for a history class. The subject we were given was HIV/AIDS.

I got the paper back from my partner and the opening line of the paper was "AIDS was invented by gay people in Africa." It was at that point that I knew group projects were going to suck.
Was this before or after you started playing that game about showing people (Your male friends) your penis?

I hope for your sake there's some really cool alternate meaning for data buffers that I am not aware of.
tenor.gif

Could we get some sweet thread tags like the Heavies are getting?

@Lead

It's being tested in the heavies first. It's possible we could get some if it's popular enough. Not sure exactly what our choices would be.

It's being tested in the heavies first. It's possible we could get some if it's popular enough. Not sure exactly what our choices would be.
*Serious Discussion Only*
*POTWR*
*Identity Politics*
*Disingenuous OP*

*Serious Discussion Only*
*POTWR*
*Identity Politics*
*Disingenuous OP*

Maybe if it's successful enough, we'll put a suggestion thread up to figure out what works best here. I suppose some of the tags they use in the heavies could work here but I''m not entirely sure if those would be useful.

Maybe if it's successful enough, we'll put a suggestion thread up to figure out what works best here. I suppose some of the tags they use in the heavies could work here but I''m not entirely sure if those would be useful.
*Breaking News*, would be an obvious one.

*HomerThompson Approved* is another no brainer.

The teacher was terrible, and I got a C+, my worst grade of college. She was a Korean immigrant whose English was also quite lacking. I enjoyed some of her work (she specialized in Japanese imperialism in East Asia) that I read outside of class, but she was awful as an instructor.

But I also just don't find modern history all that interesting outside of dense political stuff (political jockeying in USSR and Latin America). As far as pure history goes, I always preferred ancient history like the Achaemenid Empire.
I like all history to some degree, but never had any interest in focused study outside American history. I mean sure, all history is world history, but the medievalists (for example) deal with shit I just have no interest spending my time on.

Let me put it this way. I took an hour long break to read about Wireless LAN standards just to get my mind off it.

Last edited:
*Breaking News*, would be an obvious one.

*HomerThompson Approved* is another no brainer.

As long as the tag can then be removed. Usually when people put "Breaking" in the thread, I remove it after a day has gone by.

My view on group projects.

Member #:
  1. Gets folks on task, organizes, and promotes success.
  2. Stays on task and helps #1 promote success.
  3. Lacks focus but can provide the occasional contribution.
  4. Distracts and wants to ride coattails. Unlikely to contribute.
  5. Distracts and wants to ride coattails. Unlikely to contribute.
  6. Etc.

#3 ftw

I don't know how to measure the political effectiveness of humoring the partisan attacks by taking the test (and BTW the findings have been largely misinterpreted, as in the ridiculous claim that she has a below average amount of NA ancestry), but it did vindicate her in reality.
It was a bad call

I like all history to some degree, but never had any interest in focused study outside American history. I mean sure, all history is world history, but the medievalists (for example) deal with shit I just have no interest spending my time on.

Typical American arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back