War Room Lounge V24: Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real issue is that self-identified ideology really means very little. Four-fifths of the population generally can't even identify the liberal and conservative positions on issues.
Not that it isn't believable, but how do you qualify that statement?

If California whites voted like Alabama whites, it would go red consistently. Or if the national GOP changed its campaign approach, they could win more minority votes. Many times over the years people have tried to make demographic-based arguments about permanent majorities, and they've always quickly been shown to be stupid. This is another area where I think broader reading could get you out of your cave.

Your claim is that the demographic change is not the reason that CA has no chance to be red. Given the margins that we both cited. You're wrong. The addition of populations that are 85-17 and 75-25 make CA a blue only state.

Define your terms. What is racism? Any acknowledgement that different races.... are in fact different? *Gasp* So edgy!
"So what if I think white people are born smarter than black people? This isn't racism, it's science! We evolved to be the intellectual masters of the other races!!!"

Not that it isn't believable, but how do you qualify that statement?

Polling. I wouldn't hold that hard to the exact number, but I've seen studies that consistently put it at around a fifth. Good recent (ish) book on the issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Neither-Liberal-nor-Conservative-Ideological-ebook/dp/B0716FP1L2

At the top, you have a lot of ideologues, but most regular voters are partisans (and a lot of the dumber WRers don't realize that those are opposing approaches to issues). They don't have ideological commitments, but they have tribal identifications. If the parties maintained similar rhetoric but flipped platforms, they'd mostly get the same voters.

"So what if I think white people are born smarter than black people? This isn't racism, it's science! We evolved to be the intellectual masters of the other races!!!"

Real talk, how much does it suck for you to explain away the reality that Asians and Jews have a right shifted median IQ to Whites?

Your claim is that the demographic change is not the reason that CA has no chance to be red. Given the margins that we both cited. You're wrong. The addition of populations that are 85-17 and 75-25 make CA a blue only state.

The majority of CA voters (not citizens, though) are white. If they voted strongly red (as they do in a lot of lesser states), Republicans would win statewide elections. Or if Republicans didn't run against non-whites, they could win with a smaller white vote (they'd still need a majority). Compare CA to Texas, which has a similar minority population. In Texas, white voters are much more Republican-leaning than white voters in CA *and* Hispanics in Texas are more Republican-leaning than Hispanics in CA. There are lots of ways to build a winning coalition. The problem is that politics tend to be more national (most people can't even name their own representative), and the very tactics that give Republicans a massive edge in white Southern voters hurt them with minorities everywhere and with highly educated urban whites. Note that a lot of the whitest states are very liberal. That seems fatal to your theory (among many other facts that do).

The majority of CA voters (not citizens, though) are white. If they voted strongly red (as they do in a lot of lesser states), Republicans would win statewide elections. Or if Republicans didn't run against non-whites, they could win with a smaller white vote (they'd still need a majority). Compare CA to Texas, which has a similar minority population. In Texas, white voters are much more Republican-leaning than white voters in CA *and* Hispanics in Texas are more Republican-leaning than Hispanics in CA. There are lots of ways to build a winning coalition. The problem is that politics tend to be more national (most people can't even name their own representative), and the very tactics that give Republicans a massive edge in white Southern voters hurt them with minorities everywhere and with highly educated urban whites.

Texas for the* same reasons as CA will be voting blue by the end of the decade.

Last edited:
Texas for same reasons as CA will be voting blue by the end of the decade.

You're just regurgitating propaganda and not reading or responding to points being mad. Stop doing that.

And to go along with this shift, it's very possible that Texas will vote blue by the end of the decade, but note that younger whites are going to be part of that shift; if they aren't, it'll take much longer if it ever happens. Also, Republicans can always ease up on the identity politics and shift to trying to compete for all voters (another huge problem with your theory is the point I made to Higus). W did relatively well with Hispanics. Do you think they have genetically shifted since 2004?

Happy birthday to everyone reading this who has one today!

You're just regurgitating propaganda and not reading or responding to points being mad. Stop doing that.

And to go along with this shift, it's very possible that Texas will vote blue by the end of the decade, but note that younger whites are going to be part of that shift; if they aren't, it'll take much longer if it ever happens. Also, Republicans can always ease up on the identity politics and shift to trying to compete for all voters (another huge problem with your theory is the point I made to Higus). W did relatively well with Hispanics. Do you think they have genetically shifted since 2004?

Stop what? Ignoring your already falsified claim that the reason CA can never vote red again is by virtue of the white vote? You even cited the numbers. The margin that whites are voting dem is not what guarantees CA's blue status.

Stop what?

??? "You're just regurgitating propaganda and not reading or responding to points being mad. Stop doing that." How can there be any ambiguity about what I'm referring to?

Ignoring your already falsified claim that the reason CA can never vote red again is by virtue of the white vote? You even cited the numbers. The margin that whites are voting dem is not what guarantees CA's blue status.

CA can vote red again. Your premise is dumb. And it actually is. As I said, if CA whites (who make up the majority of the electorate) voted red at the same rate that Southern whites do, Republicans would win. The theory that race determines partisan voting patterns is monumentally stupid, and I'm confident that you'd reject it if you gave it any critical thought.

The theory that race determines partisan voting patterns is monumentally stupid, and I'm confident that you'd reject it if you gave it any critical thought.

Critical thought such as rejecting every data point that confirms there are voting patterns along racial lines?

Critical thought such as rejecting every data point that confirms there are voting patterns along racial lines?

Don't reject any relevant data points (for example, remember that America isn't the only country, take a look at Vermont, etc.). And examine your reasoning more closely.

Don't reject any relevant data points (for example, remember that America isn't the only country, take a look at Vermont, etc.). And examine your reasoning more closely.
Never attribute to an honest yet poor understanding of data that which can be more easily attributed to an assload of racism
Or something like that

This thread is a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back