• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

eh, fuck me who knows

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click insert quote, and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

Odd Note:
"

There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colors deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.

"
Elizabeth Bishop

"
Time to go down to the basement for some more hauntingly delicious...dead pop stars!
― Count Chocula

Did Prince have a video game?

T0VU9X3.jpg

Checkmate

Prince is overrated song wise
Talent wise he was on MJs level
But MJ has the better songs by a landslide

I'm only recently coming around to appreciating Prince so I don't have a good opinion. He's fucking good though.

I'm only recently coming around to appreciating Prince so I don't have a good opinion. He's fucking good though.
Definitely brilliant, but as a pop musician MJ was a lot more accessible. You didn't need to roll around his stuff on your palette to appreciate the subtlety; it was fun and awesome for everyone. Don't get me wrong, Prince was also one of a kind. But MJ is the King.

Prince is undeniably the more talented musician. His pop status really underrates him in that regard. He's far more talented than some of the folks that get that kind of credit.

As a performer, and all around enigma though...MJ by a comfortable margin.

To be fair, the original question was narrowed to who is the "best pop star." And in that area, I think it's undeniably MJ. In his prime, he was like a musical force of nature.

Definitely brilliant, but as a pop musician MJ was a lot more accessible. You didn't need to roll around his stuff on your palette to appreciate the subtlety; it was fun and awesome for everyone. Don't get me wrong, Prince was also one of a kind. But MJ is the King.
“King of Pop” but not king of talent.

Prince was so much more of an artist than MJ. Don’t get me wrong, I loved MJ, but artistically and overall talent wise, MJ couldn’t hold Prince’s dainty jock strap.

Dancing and performing require talent and is an art.

MJ was the superior performer and the GOAT dancer.

MJ was the king of pop, was a better dancer than Prince and he had a much better voice. Prince was great but MJ has him beat for overall talent.

Prince was so much more of an artist than MJ. Don’t get me wrong, I loved MJ, but artistically and overall talent wise, MJ couldn’t hold Prince’s dainty jock strap.
Agreed. Prince is half white though, so it doesn’t count.

It gets muddy there though. Was Prince a better dancer, for instance? Is that not artistry or talent? MJ is just an insane human being in that regard. The shit that guy could do. He was truly revolutionary in that regard. What about overall performance? Is anybody really gonna argue that Prince puts on a better performance than MJ? That's a talent, albeit aided by a lot of folks that help them with it.

Musicianship is where Prince shines, but that is not the be all end all of their respective talents.

Prince's "When Doves Cry" is one of the songs on my USB stick that I listen to on my way to school.
Eddie Van Halen's guitar riff for "Beat It" is one of the best riffs of all time.

MJ is ahead of Prince , cause I just like his songs much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back