WAR ROOM LOUNGE V25: MJ vs Prince

which be

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Walter is unquestionably a NeoCon and meant to represent the type (obviously based on Milius, also). My favorite commentary on that is how he sees a righteous opportunity to also profit off the fake kidnapping situation. Generally his moral outrage invariably lines up with his interests.

But to the extent that there's a political message, it's more about the relationship between the NeoCon Walter and the ineffectual leftist The Dude than a critique of either individual ideology.

The part with Lenin/Lennon and "I Am the Walrus" always kills me too.

Fucking Boswell
That one stung. I had steeled myself for a miss, but not like that. Two games in a row that should have been wins.

That one stung. I had steeled myself for a miss, but not like that. Two games in a row that should have been wins.

They ALWAYS play down to bad teams. Ben pretty much does a winning drive, then they come back, and then they manage to get in field goal range in the exact amount of time they need.... and Boswell fucking slips. Too many missed extra points. Too many shit plays like that one from him. He's defeated mentally at this point and it's not going to just turn around with the slump he is in.

They ALWAYS play down to bad teams. Ben pretty much does a winning drive, then they come back, and then they manage to get in field goal range in the exact amount of time they need.... and Boswell fucking slips. Too many missed extra points. Too many shit plays like that one from him. He's defeated mentally at this point and it's not going to just turn around with the slump he is in.
Yeah, I'm used to some awful losses every year to teams like the Jets or Bucs. I liked Boswell, but it's been a nightmare season from the start.

Yeah, I'm used to some awful losses every year to teams like the Jets or Bucs. I liked Boswell, but it's been a nightmare season from the start.

Yea, he was good in past years but you can only be so forgiving to a kicker. He has one job. Four extra point misses is very bad and now it's like he's under .500 on field goals lately too. I would have to check but it hasn't been that great.

He said one of the Thai rescuers was a pedophile because the rescuer said that Musk's submarine PR stunt was irrelevant to the rescue mission.
I think he should have kept that off the news but he was angry and likely felt the guy should not have gone on the Guardian and been so flippant about the offer. They could have said thanks but no thanks to him when they got there instead Vernon Unsworth in his own effort of self promotion decided to rip on the effort and make news for himself and the fact he writes novels. The pedophile thing crossed a line but people do travel to places like Thailand to meet underage children to have sex. People seem scared not to ask the question of Vernon why do you spend 6 months out of the year living in Thailand where there are many places he could choice to live?

I'm talking about Elon Musk, the individual. Not any of his business.

It's undeniable that his public persona has taken a huge hit over the past few months. I'm sure you're able to comprehend that.

Funny it seems that there are a lot of similarities between Trump and Musk in this regard some people mostly those who hope he fails and his company fails say his public persona took a huge hit yet people who support him tend to feel that the media is very unjust to him and they even support him more.

I think he should have kept that off the news but he was angry and likely felt the guy should not have gone on the Guardian and been so flippant about the offer. They could have said thanks but no thanks to him when they got there instead Vernon Unsworth in his own effort of self promotion decided to rip on the effort and make news for himself and the fact he writes novels. The pedophile thing crossed a line but people do travel to places like Thailand to meet underage children to have sex. People seem scared not to ask the question of Vernon why do you spend 6 months out of the year living in Thailand where there are many places he could choice to live?

The Brit has a Thai girlfriend that he met in London when she was there investing (he's a financial broker).
She's 40, not 12.
Musk made an arse of himself over some minor personal criticism.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1209f332-b12d-11e8-a553-a0ee9be48bc6.jpg

Well, Walter is unquestionably a NeoCon and meant to represent the type (obviously based on Milius, also).

I wasn't familiar with this man, so I gave him a google. Unsurprising that a right-winger is incapable of making a critically appreciated movie. I saw Red Dawn and it sucked, and I see that that is his best movie with a whopping 46% fresh rating.

Looks like Clint Eastwood still stands alone as the only critically acclaimed right-wing director. And I can only guess that his legacy will not age well once people realize that his films are shit and that he plays the same shitty character in ever movie. For my money, acting just doesn't get worse than Gran Torino.

For my money, acting just doesn't get worse than Gran Torino.

Agreed, but not his acting. He was fine going through the motions. The Asian kid however...oof. That's some next level cringe. The movie in general is overrated as all hell. I will never understand the love for that flick.

As a director, Eastwood is mixed bag. Some average, some very good, some truly awful, and a genuine, near perfect classic(Unforgiven).

His legacy will be fine, though. His overall career is matched by very few. Dude's a legend, and that ain't ever gonna change.

Agreed, but not his acting. He was fine going through the motions. The Asian kid however...oof. That's some next level cringe. The movie in general is overrated as all hell. I will never understand the love for that flick.

As a director, Eastwood is mixed bag. Some average, some very good, some truly awful, and a genuine, near perfect classic(Unforgiven).

His legacy will be fine, though. His overall career is matched by very few. Dude's a legend, and that ain't ever gonna change.

His acting in that movie was terrible as well. Someone should have told him that you can signal social inflexibility or grumpiness without literally growling.

Someone should have told him that you can signal social inflexibility or grumpiness without literally growling.
Haven't seen that movie (no interest at all) but lmao. Gonna borrow that for a little while...

His acting in that movie was terrible as well. Someone should have told him that you can signal social inflexibility or grumpiness without literally growling.

Like I said, it was fine. Nothing all that bothersome. Just Eastwood being Eastwood. Sure, you could nitpick here and there, but it's nothing that will go down as a truly awful performance. Certainly not when you have such a terrible co-star, showing you what real bad acting is.

I wasn't familiar with this man, so I gave him a google. Unsurprising that a right-winger is incapable of making a critically appreciated movie. I saw Red Dawn and it sucked, and I see that that is his best movie with a whopping 46% fresh rating.

Red Dawn was kind of entertainingly crazy, but you're way underestimating the guy overall. He also wrote Apocalypse Now, Conan the Barbarian, and created the Rome HBO series (and wrote several episodes). And he created the UFC's octagon (and helped line up investors to get it started). And speaking of Eastwood, he wrote Dirty Harry (uncredited) and Magnum Force. Also helped with the USS Indianapolis monologue in Jaws. Milius is a lunatic, but he has legitimate talent.

Haven't seen that movie (no interest at all) but lmao. Gonna borrow that for a little while...

Really? I thought everyone had seen it.

Eastwood, playing his usual "I'm super tough and manly, but I have a gooey center and a strong moral code" character really goes about 300% too far in trying to be surly. Literally growls throughout the film, such as when people are introducing him to loved ones, helping him move a fridge, or fixing him a plate of free food. You later find out that the behaviors that present themselves as angry autism - growling, insulting people, referring to Koreans as gooks and slants, etc. - is really because he was very affected by all the Koreans he killed in the war (after all, empathizing with people often makes you dehumanize them with racial slurs) and has lost his religion after the death of his wife, who, judging why what shits his children are, was probably an equally intolerable turd of a person.

It's not the worst Eastwood film or performance, but it's pretty bad. The climactic scene is kinda cool.

Red Dawn was kind of entertainingly crazy, but you're way underestimating the guy overall. He also wrote Apocalypse Now, Conan the Barbarian, and created the Rome HBO series (and wrote several episodes). And he created the UFC's octagon (and helped line up investors to get it started). And speaking of Eastwood, he wrote Dirty Harry (uncredited) and Magnum Force. Also helped with the USS Indianapolis monologue in Jaws. Milius is a lunatic, but he has legitimate talent.

I'll have to take your word for it.

What a great night for Hawaii, and therefore the world. Max made a statement tonight.
Cheers to @Cubo de Sangre hope you got to watch the fights (I didn't boohoo.)

How is this a fall from grace the guy just built his 68,000's Model 3, United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket cannot even get off the ground they keep delaying the launch while Elon's SpaceX has set a record number of launches, Tesla stock just passed Mercedes in market value, the giant Hyundai corporation manufactures 7,000 Kona EV's a month while Tesla does that in a week. I can go on an on about his fall from grace but if you call that a fall from grace it sure does not seem like it in my book.

ula-2.jpg

United launch alliance still relies on Russian made rocket engines while SpaceX does their work completely in-house with their own boosters.

https://ktla.com/2018/12/08/ula-cou...-vandenberg-air-force-base-on-saturday-night/
I'm talking about Elon Musk, the individual. Not any of his business.

It's undeniable that his public persona has taken a huge hit over the past few months. I'm sure you're able to comprehend that.
Exactly. For what it's worth, he has gone on a steep slide in the court of public opinion.

So, apropos of nothing, I've seen a lot of complaining lately about "neo-liberal policies" and there appears to be widespread agreement that they are a bad thing for workers. So here's my question for the lounge lizards in attendance:
Precisely what policies are neo-liberal?

I ask that you not get into the whys and wherefores in response to this post. I intend to open a new thread for that later. Right now, I'm just interested in an enumeration of what those policies are because regardless of how many times I see them referenced, what is left out is just what policies are being referred to, and conversely, what policies are clearly unrelated to neo-liberalism that nevertheless disproportionately affect (or not) the 99%. So, to the War Roomers that tend to use such terms, what policies?

Edit: further to the above, my intent is to not exceed the scope of the lounge by getting into a discussion of whether it is good or bad, what to do about it, how it came about historically, and all that so please refrain if at all possible. There was one such earlier in the thread and it basically obliterated any other discussion. Once the above is hashed out a bit, I intend to make a new thread rather than trying to discuss such a large topic in the lounge. Please and thank you.

Last edited:
So, apropos of nothing, I've seen a lot of complaining lately about "neo-liberal policies" and there appears to be widespread agreement that they are a bad thing for workers. So here's my question for the lounge lizards in attendance:
Precisely what policies are neo-liberal?

The term is used very differently by different people, including many who use it as a vague term of abuse. But by people who aren't idiots, it basically refers to kind of traditionally right-wing economic policy--deregulation, free trade, tax cuts, etc. A lot of lefties use it to criticize other people who are left-leaning but still mostly believe in markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back