War Room OT Discussion v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
“In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time — none. Zero.” — Charlie Munger, Self-made billionaire & Warren Buffett’s longtime business partner

Why did the busiest person in the world, former president Barack Obama, read an hour a day while in office?

Why has the best investor in history, Warren Buffett, invested 80% of his time in reading and thinking throughout his career?

Why has the world’s richest person, Bill Gates, read a book a week during his career? And why has he taken a yearly two-week reading vacation throughout his entire career?

https://qz.com/1178713/be-like-bill...-per-week-learning-youre-being-irresponsible/

“In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time — none. Zero.” — Charlie Munger, Self-made billionaire & Warren Buffett’s longtime business partner

Why did the busiest person in the world, former president Barack Obama, read an hour a day while in office?

Why has the best investor in history, Warren Buffett, invested 80% of his time in reading and thinking throughout his career?

Why has the world’s richest person, Bill Gates, read a book a week during his career? And why has he taken a yearly two-week reading vacation throughout his entire career?

https://qz.com/1178713/be-like-bill...-per-week-learning-youre-being-irresponsible/

Dick move posting all of those questions without providing any of the answers.

I would love to be able to do that, but I doubt it's going to happen. Not because of time- I just can't read very well- but I'm trying. Even went to a therapist for it. Been reading an average of 2 each month since last august (mostly for school, textbooks not included), and it's a motherfucker. Anybody else just have a hell of a time not floating off into your own thoughts 4 or 5 times per page?

I would love to be able to do that, but I doubt it's going to happen. Not because of time- I just can't read very well- but I'm trying. Even went to a therapist for it. Been reading an average of 2 each month since last august (mostly for school, textbooks not included), and it's a motherfucker. Anybody else just have a hell of a time not floating off into your own thoughts 4 or 5 times per page?
I have that issue as well, I've found practicing mindfulness during reading helps. I guess that sounds obvious but a lot of people see mindfulness meditation and its techniques as its own dedicated activity, not something you do as you're doing something else.

The struggle is real, my friend

Do you consider yourself scattered?

One of the reasons I like Da Vinci and Michelangelo was because they rarely finished anything. lol. They would get bored with a project and abandon it before it was done. Many people paid Da Vinci for work and he just got bored and moved to something else. I think him and Michelangelo were supposed to have a paint off. Neither finished. lol. Some say the Mona Lisa isn't even finished.

I like how somebody put it about Michaelangelo; that he left these creatures trapped in stone. He tried to free humans from this stone and stopped half way. It is like they are imprisoned in the stone. And that is what Mich thought he was doing. It already exists in the stone. The sculpture. He just has to free it from its prison.

I think these are art myself. It looks like the people are trying pull themselves out of the rock.

slaves-bearded-atlas-760x642.jpg

MichelangeloAwakeningSlave.jpg

michelangelo-buonarroti-piet%C3%A0-rondanini-02-665x987.jpg

Experience is also a great teacher.

“They will say that I, having no literary skill, cannot properly express that which I desire to treat of, but they do not know that my subjects are to be dealt with by experience rather than by words. And [experience] has been the mistress of those who wrote well. And so, as mistress, I will cite her in all cases. Though I may not, like them, be able to quote other authors, I shall rely on that which is much greater and more worthy: on experience, the mistress of their masters.”

Leonardo da Vinci

Like Hemingway said, to write about life you first must live it.

I read the Time Machine last year and within the first chapter Wells already explains how space and time must connect. He is talking metaphysics with friends. Let's make this more digestible. What does an object need to exist? My phone. 3 dimensions. That explains its existence perfectly. But Wells said there is something missing and that thing was DURATION. Time. Everything that exists must have a duration or a time. This was before Einstein and Edgar Allan Poe said the same thing even before Wells.

When I read that I knew immediately he was talking about spacetime and looked up when the book was published. It was before Einstein and Minkowski

Wells emphasized in the novella that if time is a dimension like those of space, the past, present and future are all all part of the same unified entity and potentially accessible. In other words, if someone could somehow step out of space and time, he would see each person’s life as a complete, immutable thread, akin to a reel of film. Such an idea has come to be known as the block universe. As Wells described such a situation:

“Here is a portrait of a man at eight years old, another at fifteen, another at twenty-three, and so on. All are evidently sections, as it were, Three-Dimensional representations of his Four-Dimensional being, which is a fixed and unalterable thing.”

What do you guys think about the upcoming HW title fight? Miocic defends?

I can't see an advantage in the betting line, seems fair to me.

The only fights of Francis I've seen are the Reem Ko and that time he got a kimura so hard for me to say. Stipe has really proven himself with his last five fights so I'd go with him but I'm not super confident

In the case of the LHW title fight, I think Cormier it takes but even though I'm a fan of his for the sake of the division I think it would be good if he loses. Even though Jones popped for roids the fact that he stopped DC and made him cry in front of millions kind of tarnishes his reign and the division. If he gets KOed in the first I can actually get more hype for the division since there would at least be uncertainty over a Volkan vs Jones fight, something that isn't there for a third DC vs Jones bout.

Last edited:

Don't know much about the Ngannou(?) dude, but he looks like a guy, who if he doesn't get the quick finish, is prone to gas out.

Like I said, don't know. Maybe he's a cardio beast, but to me he's got that body builder look, that is usually all show and no go. I'd put my money on Stipe taking him into deep waters, and finishing him somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.

I have many random thoughts and things to talk about lol

I was watching this documentary on China. This one Chinese-American was arrested and imprisoned there for years. Maybe decades. He was forced to work or starve basically. Work or you don't get fed. They work all day. Like imagine women in prison at their sewing machines all day long. Anyway, China finally releases the guy back to the US after diplomatic pressure. Not long after he is back he is at a store in the mall and he sees the slippers he made in prison. They were like these fuzzy, kiddie slippers that looked like animals or something. Must have been an odd moment for him. He knew where these things came from. From forced prison labor of political prisoners.

Maybe they should make labels on clothing and other products like they do food. To know where it came from. The recipe how it came about.

The only fights of Francis I've seen are the Reem Ko and that time he got a kimura so hard for me to say. Stipe has really proven himself with his last five fights so I'd go with him but I'm not super confident

In the case of the LHW title fight, I think Cormier takes but even though I'm a fan of his for the sake of the division I think it would be good if he loses. Even though Jones popped for roids the fact that he stopped DC and made him cry in front of millions kind of tarnishes his reign and the division. If he gets KOed in the first I can actually get more hype for the division since there would at least be uncertainty over a Volkan vs Jones fight, something that isn't there for a third DC vs Jones bout.

Don't know much about the Ngannou(?) dude, but he looks like a guy, who if he doesn't get the quick finish, is prone to gas out.

Like I said, don't know. Maybe he's a cardio beast, but to me he's got that body builder look, that is usually all show and no go. I'd put my money on Stipe taking him into deep waters, and finishing him somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.

Yeah, Ngannou definitely has unknowns here. He has a lot of raw talent and ridiculous power but he looks pretty raw technique wise at times. He demolished Overreem, but Miocic did too. I feel like Miocic is definitely more skilled but not as freakish of an athlete talent wise.

Should be an awesome fight.

If I had bought Twitter a couple months ago when I pronounced it dead and argued with @Jack V Savage about it I would be up double my money right now.

I sell stocks too quick. Warren Buffett said the best time to sell is never. He has iron hands. His entire game is long term. He said the stock market is a device for transferring wealth from the impatient to the patient. Twitter isn't the only one I missed out on. Sold stocks at profit but are up even more now. Patience.

I lean a little toward Stipe, and he's the underdog so I'll bet small on him. He has a lot more depth to his game, but on the other hand, he is very hittable and a little chinny, and that might be all that matters in this fight.

Man, I'm hyped for this card. I can't remember the last time I was this thrilled about a HW fight. Rooting for Stipe, because I'd like the ufc to be kicked right in their stupid promotional tactics, but I'm happy either way.

I'm not as familiar with the undercard, but it looks good too.

I lean a little toward Stipe, and he's the underdog so I'll bet small on him. He has a lot more depth to his game, but on the other hand, he is very hittable and a little chinny, and that might be all that matters in this fight.
You pointed to exactly why I'd slightly lean Ngannou, and bet small on him.

My track record is bad lately and I wouldn't wish my picks on a peg-legged loan shark, but that won't stop me from saying that Stipe is significantly undervalued.

Also Barroso looks okay against a journeyman like Villante, but the time to grab that at +165ish has come and gone.

My track record is bad lately and I wouldn't wish my picks on a peg-legged loan shark, but that won't stop me from saying that Stipe is significantly undervalued.
He's fast an accurate but also a hard hitter. I feel like he can be kind of hittable himself though which surely is something you wanna avoid against Francis. It's gonna be, at least for the first couple rounds, one of those tense fights you only get at HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back