Was Bill Wallace being a bully here or is it fair play?

G

Guestx

I've been watching a lot of Bill Wallace stuff lately and recently ran across this video.

The vid's description:

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace held instructional karate seminars in Houston,Texas during the 1980's. After instructing the attendees, he would spar with each of them and offer pointers to better their skills. On this particular day, he sparred with about 20-30 kids, then conducted the adult session that included sparring with approximately 20 men and women. One man decided to see just how tough and fast Mr. "Superfoot" really was. He was given a lesson... one that was impactful.

It's not clear to me what irritated Bill but it seems obvious that something did.

It's interesting to read the comments because they are pretty mixed, with some people thinking that Bill was teaching the young buck a needed lesson and others thinking that Bill was bullying the guy.

What's Sherdog's take?

I've been watching a lot of Bill Wallace stuff lately and recently ran across this video.

The vid's description:

It's not clear to me what irritated Bill but it seems obvious that something did.

It's interesting to read the comments because they are pretty mixed, with some people thinking that Bill was teaching the young buck a needed lesson and others thinking that Bill was bullying the guy.

What's Sherdog's take?

looked to me more like was putting someone in his place. we dont know what happened prior to the video starting, but it looked like bill had on boxing gloves while the other guy had on point sparring gloves. At the very beginning, dude went pretty hard on Bill, and Bill put him in his place. Dude was the trying to "win the spar"

looked to me more like was putting someone in his place. we dont know what happened prior to the video starting, but it looked like bill had on boxing gloves while the other guy had on point sparring gloves. At the very beginning, dude went pretty hard on Bill, and Bill put him in his place. Dude was the trying to "win the spar"

Yeah, that's the best I can determine. Bill was notorious for not liking to be hit. It pissed him off. And I suspect the guy popped Bill in the face pretty good and Bill, as you say, decided to put him in his place.

After getting hit a few times the guy also says to Bill "you still got it" or something along those lines. Bill may have not liked the guy implying he was old and past his prime as well.

I think the video is kind of hilarious, but I am surprised that Bill kept on him like he did. Even after the knockdown, which I figured would've ended it, Superfoot apparently still hasn't decided the guy has had enough.

Maybe at the end near the 4 minute mark, but I think he was fed up with guy's cheap shots. Smile, turn his back, walk away, then spin around and pop a jab. That's greasy shit.

a-little-from.gif

Maybe at the end near the 4 minute mark, but I think he was fed up with guy's cheap shots. Smile, turn his back, walk away, then spin around and pop a jab. That's greasy shit.

As I was saying in my last post, I was surprised that Bill kept on him for as long as he did. Even after it seems like the guy clearly wants to stop Bill doesn't let up.

Hell, it seems like even after everyone else has quit sparring and is moving on to something else Bill is still chasing the dude down.

What do you guys think of Bill Wallace as whole?

I've always liked him. His fights were fun to watch and his kicks were genuinely beautiful.

I actually have an old Panther Productions instructional series of his that's pretty interesting.

Here's a good fight of his. A real barn-burner. My only regret is that it's more of a boxing match and Bill didn't get a lot of good trademark kicks in.

Yeah, that's the best I can determine. Bill was notorious for not liking to be hit. It pissed him off. And I suspect the guy popped Bill in the face pretty good and Bill, as you say, decided to put him in his place.

After getting hit a few times the guy also says to Bill "you still got it" or something along those lines. Bill may have not liked the guy implying he was old and past his prime as well.

I think the video is kind of hilarious, but I am surprised that Bill kept on him like he did. Even after the knockdown, which I figured would've ended it, Superfoot apparently still hasn't decided the guy has had enough.

1. The other guy was bigger, and took it to that level himself. He went there by his own accord

2. That guy was taking up the whole gymnasium trying to get away while still doing hard potshots. Pretty rude and inconsiderate in more than one way

3. He was smiling his ass off like it was some joke, when clearly it was for his ego and bragging rights so he could tell other people about it later

4. Guy was being a passive aggressive (literally) douche of a drill partner (notice how no one else there is sparring, they are supposed to be doing drills). He was begging for some reality and Bill wasn't going to let him just go on with life thinking that's how things are, that would have been WRONG to spoil someone (especially someone that big) with the wrong life lesson that they're supposed to be able to get away with things like that against others

There’s nothing more irritating that trying to engage with someone, the take a potshot then run out of the area everytime you counter or walk them down.
If you have an area stay in it, don’t run the fuck out everytime somebody comes at at you. Buddy there was doing a full blown Charlie Zellonoff.

Plus they were just boxing and Bill Wallace’s hands were never very good

The vid's description:

What's Sherdog's take?

Teaching him respect.

As I was saying in my last post, I was surprised that Bill kept on him for as long as he did. Even after it seems like the guy clearly wants to stop Bill doesn't let up.

Hell, it seems like even after everyone else has quit sparring and is moving on to something else Bill is still chasing the dude down.
Gotta even out the brain damage.

What's your sparring record?

I'm 600-0

What you guys said was exactly what I saw. Dude was bigger and taller than bill and was trying to jab and hit him fast.

The guy clearly tried to quit mutiple times but bill had none of it.. lol I don’t know if that was ok

What you guys said was exactly what I saw. Dude was bigger and taller than bill and was trying to jab and hit him fast.

The guy clearly tried to quit mutiple times but bill had none of it.. lol I don’t know if that was ok

He was trying to quit because he didn't want the fair repercussions for what he had been doing. He wanted to dish it out but not take it-- that's a no no.

It's like when Charlie Zelenoff amps it way up like a real fight and then tries to step out of the ring in the middle of the round because he can't sustain it and doesn't want to be held to it (and then maybe steps back in when the other guy thinks its over). Exact same mindset.

You can't just rudely initiate an advanced lesson as you please and then turn tail. If you don't get called on it right away, then you should know you're in for the whole lesson you went out of your way to disrespect and trouble your teacher for.

Last edited:

Yeah, it was obvious probably about 2/3 of the way in that the guy wanted out but, like you say, at this point Bill was like a dog on a bone. He wasn't going to let it go.

I think it was that flurry right there after about 2:40 where it was clear that Bill was irritated and starting to kinda not fuck around.

Timestamped:

The guy liked getting punched. It does look a bit unsettling though. His head contorsion suggests that Wallace nailed him hard.

Back