Was Gokors gym the only gym that produced UFC fighters...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am curious to know if Gene/Gokors gym was the only gym that had people walk in with no training and end up becoming UFC contenders and champions?

I mean you had Karo Parisyan, Manny G, Ronda, Karen D, Sevak and Sako as well as many others walk in to that gym and end up doing great in MMA.

Keep in mind, these people were not wrestlers who went to AKA or TAM or ATT. They were just regular dudes living in California who walked in to Gokors gym and became prominent fighters.

Also, Ronda did start with Gokor, she was always training with him. When it came to MMA, Gokor is a blunt guy and if you suck at stand up he will say to you that you have shit boxing skills.

Team20Hayastan20Photos.jpg

P.S: Gegard trains there but he was already an established martial artist and so I did not add him on the list but still, lots of people got their start in MMA at Gokors...

All of his athletes are judokas

Lion's Den. In addition to Frank and Ken, guys like Jerry Bohlander (UFC 12 LW tourney winner) and Guy Mezger (King of Pancrase, very solid fighter) learned there. Some like Mezger and Mo Smith had kickboxing background but no grappling training. I was impressed how the Lion's Den (along with Sakuraba) caught up so quickly to the Brazilians without studying BJJ.

Lion's Den. In addition to Frank and Ken, guys like Jerry Bohlander (UFC 12 LW tourney winner) and Guy Mezger (King of Pancrase, very solid fighter) learned there. Some like Mezger and Mo Smith had kickboxing background but no grappling training. I was impressed how the Lion's Den (along with Sakuraba) caught up so quickly to the Brazilians without studying BJJ.
It's all grappling

Nothing wrong with that.
No kidding, but TS said Gokor is a good coach because he is taking "regular dudes off the street" and turning them into killers. These guys have been grappling since they were kids.

No kidding, but TS said Gokor is a good coach because he is taking "regular dudes off the street" and turning them into killers. These guys have been grappling since they were kids.

I am TS and my point is gokor is a great judo and mma instructor. My point stands that he takes regular people and turns them in to a judo badass!

Back